Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Malta
Reload this Page >

Moving from China

Moving from China

Old Feb 18th 2014, 5:14 am
Just Joined

kaltik is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving from China

I am a construction manager/joiner....British national. Work seems hard to get in the trade as I don't speak Maltese. Would there be a market for a British tradesmen, me going self-employed? As I heard the Maltese workers are a bit....well.

I also speak Chinese and my Chinese wife is coming with me. Would there be any work as we speak Chinese? I was thinking I-Gaming or translation services? Or for her a Chinese restaurant even?

Lastly, I want to live in the North as I have a friend who lives there, can anyone point me in the direction of a flat rental company that is reliable?

Thanks guys...last 5 weeks in China
Old Feb 19th 2014, 11:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from China

Originally Posted by kaltik
I am a construction manager/joiner....British national. Work seems hard to get in the trade as I don't speak Maltese. Would there be a market for a British tradesmen, me going self-employed? As I heard the Maltese workers are a bit....well.

I also speak Chinese and my Chinese wife is coming with me. Would there be any work as we speak Chinese? I was thinking I-Gaming or translation services? Or for her a Chinese restaurant even?

Lastly, I want to live in the North as I have a friend who lives there, can anyone point me in the direction of a flat rental company that is reliable?

Thanks guys...last 5 weeks in China
Hey there... As for a rental company there is www.franksalt.com.mt , http://www.belair.com.mt/ , and lots more if you search google (the Maltese google is best for Maltese results - www.google.com.mt) for "Malta real estate"

North is the best, IMO are you looking to live in Melleiħa or Mosta area?

Going self-employed in Malta is a hit or miss thing - you could cash out big or you could not... Yes, the Maltese tradesmen are more than slightly lacking in the punctuality and properness department...So if you are a good and honest worker, you will be fine. But be prepared, most Maltese/Gozitans will expect you to want to take cash ("under the table" type stuff) as thats just how the people work down there, things are a bit sketchy to most non-Maltese people (until they get used to it, once your a convert you cant go back )

Ahh translation service wise, I can't say, sorry, i'm not too familiar with that although I know the i-gaming industry is big so you might find something there.

Hope I helped!
Old Feb 20th 2014, 12:05 am
Just Joined

kaltik is an unknown quantity at this point

Grand mate. I'm in communist China....nothing will catch me by surprise in Malta! Cash in had is fine....all tradesmen love it haha. Will prob move to Mellieha, spelling?

I live in the fastest and one of the biggest cities in the World right now, a bit of the quiet life for me so not Sliema!

Where are you based yourself?
Old Feb 20th 2014, 12:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kaltik
Grand mate. I'm in communist China....nothing will catch me by surprise in Malta! Cash in had is fine....all tradesmen love it haha. Will prob move to Mellieha, spelling?

I live in the fastest and one of the biggest cities in the World right now, a bit of the quiet life for me so not Sliema!

Where are you based yourself?
Haha that is true, I can say even Malta is more orderly than China! Spelling is fine, I just have the Maltese "Ħ" on my keyboard, which is why it looks funny...
I'm based in Ontario, Canada at the moment, but I am planning to go home in the future (for me that's Malta, i'm Maltese ) or maybe to the UK... Depends on the job market, what I do know though is i'm not staying here. I am a dual citizen Maltese/Canadian so it would be easy to come back to Canada if need be, though.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

financeman is an unknown quantity at this point

Search for Maltese Chinese and you will find that little Malta has many connections with the biggest country. Your Chinese speaking will come in handy - there are many more delegations coming from China, The Malta government is pro China.