Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Would it be outrageous to spend RM 2000+ on a double kitchen sink?

Would it be outrageous to spend RM 2000+ on a double kitchen sink?

Old Nov 12th 2010, 7:49 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Would it be outrageous to spend RM 2000+ on a double kitchen sink?

We were in Gurney Plaza today, that well-known mall with shops for people with more money than sense - at least some of them. We saw this fantastic double sink with drainer, German made (of course) and looked like stone but clearly wasn't. The salesman said Impossible to Scratch lah. Then we spotted the price.... waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah... more than RM 2000 That's about 400 quid or 472 euros or 644 aussie dollars.

But it's very nice. Am I going mad, do you think?
Old Nov 12th 2010, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would it be outrageous to spend RM 2000+ on a double kitchen sink?

So what was it made of???
Old Nov 13th 2010, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

redbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bakedbean
We were in Gurney Plaza today, that well-known mall with shops for people with more money than sense - at least some of them. We saw this fantastic double sink with drainer, German made (of course) and looked like stone but clearly wasn't. The salesman said Impossible to Scratch lah. Then we spotted the price.... waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah... more than RM 2000 That's about 400 quid or 472 euros or 644 aussie dollars.

But it's very nice. Am I going mad, do you think?
Insane, if you want my humble opinion. Remember the days of the tupperware?? Don't know about you but I fall for the trick that it lasts and lasts but what no one tells me "who wants something that lasts forever unless it is diamond or course". One day you will wake up and think I must have been an idiot to spend so much on a sink.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 7:49 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex reg
So what was it made of???
I don't know - some kind of coated metal. It really looked nice and apparently unscratchable. I'm sure it would see us out. Y'know a lot of sinks just go manky after a while, don't they. This one looked beautiful.

Ya but redbean, it's all comparative at the end of the day. Maybe you or someone else might spend RM 2000 on a holiday and you've nothing to show for it afterwards. But I may have a spanking new unscratchable sink to show for my RM 2000 (note to redbean: I am being slightly sarcastic here, heh heh).
Old Nov 15th 2010, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

redbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant future

This one looked beautiful.
............... But I may have a spanking new unscratchable sink to show for my RM 2000 (note to redbean: I am being slightly sarcastic here, heh heh).
True, quite, quite true.........you have your "spanking new unscratchable sink" and I have my memories of my travel.

When you have it installed, you got to host a party so your visitors can admire your "spanking new unscratchable sink". I can't wait to drool over it! hehehe!

Slight sarcasm noted.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 2:34 am

Ya... sink warming party
Old Nov 19th 2010, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

These days the younger crowd appear to organise party for note worthy occassion such as bridal shower, baby shower, honeymoon shower, housewarming, etc., so why not a sink warming party. Quite original!

Your guest could bring a can of ajak - powder or cream; washing gloves, washing liquid and so on and so forth!

Just like tupperware party, you could even invite the sales consultant to demonstrate the value of investing in a non-scratchable sink even though the purchase cost is enough to scare most penny pinching householders away.
Old Nov 20th 2010, 7:58 am

And I thought I was mad
Old Nov 20th 2010, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

And I thought I was mad
I am hurt. What's so mad about starting a new trend. You maybe come the talk of the town. Can you imagine your name in bold print!!

Expat hostess, Bakedbean hosting kitchen sink party

reported in the Star newspaper with a picture of you wearing gloves, apron and scrubber alongside the assortment of gifts from your invited guests.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 1:08 am

Back on topic it's beginning to occur to us that sinks are jolly expensive in Penang. Even the bog-standard ones are around RM 700 to 800. And... get this.... we picked up a brochure of sinks yesterday and some are RM 5000

Think maybe there are a lot of exported sinks and they bump up the import tax?
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

OMG! when I move to Penang, I will make sure that I make space for a sink in my luggage.

Perhaps the sinks that cost RM5000 come heavily accessorised. Went window shopping with a friend and we were looking at luggage..........told her these days, you don't just buy a luggage but you also need to accessorise the luggage you intend to buy!