Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Let's talk some serious stuff........

Let's talk some serious stuff........

Old Nov 11th 2010, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

redbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant future
Default Let's talk some serious stuff........

.........like how to begin to get rid of more than 10 years of accummulated junk which we thought that we must have when we were young, foolish and thought we have lots of spare cash to off load!!!

For those of you who have made the move to Malaysia, how did you go about discerning the 'must bring' stuff to the 'must get rid' junk?

help please!
Old Nov 11th 2010, 8:45 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk some serious stuff........

We just chucked out what we thought we didn't need - mainly stuff that was falling apart anyhow. We moved from Thailand so real easy just to plonk stuff outside the house and all the little elves appear and it's all gone in a few minutes

I guess if you are moving from somewhere more temperate climate like the UK, you need to have a long hard think. You know, stuff like heavy carpets, you really do not want in Malaysia.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by redbean
.........like how to begin to get rid of more than 10 years of accummulated junk which we thought that we must have when we were young, foolish and thought we have lots of spare cash to off load!!!

For those of you who have made the move to Malaysia, how did you go about discerning the 'must bring' stuff to the 'must get rid' junk?

help please!
If you haven't used it in the last 12 months...you don't need it. Garage sale the rest or dump it with the Salvo's, St Vinnies or try the elf trick. Actually if you dump outside your place with a sign saying please take...nobody will, but put up a sign saying $10 and it will be nicked overnight.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

redbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant future
Talking Re: Let's talk some serious stuff........

Originally Posted by Strider24
If you haven't used it in the last 12 months...you don't need it. Garage sale the rest or dump it with the Salvo's, St Vinnies or try the elf trick.
Oh yeah! but what if they are mostly stuff that you can't bear to part with.....like the special thing you bought on that memorable occasion

The stuff that you know will come in handy as soon as you chuck it out.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 7:52 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Then I guess you find yourself a home that has room to keep all those things, just in case. Ahhh stick it all in the maid's room.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Ahhh stick it all in the maid's room.
Great idea except that I have been thinking of minimalist lifestyle. Decided to google and find out definition of minimalist lifestyle and this is what it says "one that is free of complications, clutter,confusion and distraction. Its where you have taken your life and streamlined it to make it the most efficient it can possibly be."

Oh dear! I think I am going to struggle with this approach.

Perhaps I better rethink of going minimalist!
Old Nov 19th 2010, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

joamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud of

Well first i tried to think of a way to keep it all because of the fond memories....then i went through a phase of selling some stuff i could bear to part with on ebay, and now i'm totally fed up with it all and only have 2 weeks left until the big move and my mind set has changed to 'if we don't use it now then we don't need it...dump it'. You just need to get into the zone!
Old Nov 20th 2010, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by joamelie
Well first i tried to think of a way to keep it all because of the fond memories....then i went through a phase of selling some stuff i could bear to part with on ebay, and now i'm totally fed up with it all and only have 2 weeks left until the big move and my mind set has changed to 'if we don't use it now then we don't need it...dump it'. You just need to get into the zone!
Do you mean when there are two weeks to go before you get on the plane, look at the hoard of stuff you need to get rid of, panic and scream "where is the dumpster, out all out"
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

This is a brag ..............yesterday, I actually made a start on decluttering....got as far as doing one room. Just the one room but I packed two bags of odds and sods consisting mainly of handbags, clothes, shoes and collectibles and deliver these to Vinnies.

So proud of myself. Now waiting for motivation to do the rest of the house.