Where to go?????

Old Jan 25th 2011, 3:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Where to go?????

Only went to Muscat once. Hopped out of the Fokker Friendship 0100 hrs and started drinking, the air was so saturated. It was early 70's and the business district was being built..including the part finished hotel I stayed in. No a/c but had a bar fridge, which I pushed up to the bed head and slept with my head in the door....and like you I thought I was OK with heat. Abu Dhabi, Bahrain etc not a patch on Muscat. Loved the old bazaar though with narrow dirt lanes to share with donkeys and 3 steps up into shops, whose 2nd floor overhang so great, opposite buildings almost touched.

In KL we never use a/c at all. We are lucky enough to get a light breeze from the hills behind and the blocks air well works as a chimney so get good air circulation. By having gas cooking, no a/c and really only use computer, low power light's, ceiling fan and TV, our monthly bill is around RM 20.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Strider that must have been before Seeb Airport was built.

The old one at Ruwi IIRC was supposed to be a great airport for landing and takeoff having a short runway and with hills all around.
The runway was still there when I first went to Oman but no longer in use, we stayed in a mess just opposite the al Falaj Hotel iirc that may have been the one you stayed in.

I was actually in an air crash whilst taking off from a bush runway in Bukka in Musandum north Oman. We crashed into the graveyard right next to the hospital.

No one came out of the hospital to check on injuries etc.

We don't use aircon here at all.
Just fans and natural breeze which is great. Our utilities bill is S$ 120 per month.

I hope baked bean doesn't admonish or should that be scold in the local patois for going off subject.

I always enjoy these free ranging threads.
Hope attilla doesn't mind either.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 3:57 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Strider24
Hi ex reg,

We are probably getting off subject for poor Atilla...and bakedbean will probably chastise us and start a new thread.
Nah, cannot be bothered

I used to love Muscat. I wonder if that great little pub is still at the Intercontinental - the Al Ghazal I think. Had many a pleasant night in there.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

Hi ex reg,

Yes you are right about the airport. Quite a long ride to the town through barren hills. Can't remember the name of the hotel, but I had been on a 4 weeks trip in the area and running short of cash. I worked out if they gave me 10% discount, didn't eat I could just pay the bill. I only got the discount after emptying out all my pockets and luggage (didn't find the emergency note in my shoe). The peanut at the desk stuck his nose in the air and said "you have your discount sir" Having got back to Bahrain, had to wait 11 hours for my plane stomach rumbling. Even then the plane was chocker and was another almost 2 hours before I ate.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 7:04 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Mind you, I dunno if we are off topic technically as the subject is Where to go??? and relates to retirement. Maybe I should change the Title to Where to Go???? Retirement places. What d'ya think, guys?

But I shall have to dig my Concierge manual out to figure out how to do it. Geez... I've never done it before.... may cock it up completely

Far East does not have a bantering sub-forum anyhow (yet) and, strangely enough, I saw a little ol' thread in The Sandpit (the Middle East bantering sub-forum) and someone mentioned that Oman now has a kinda retirement visa scheme. If I was ever fed up with Penang and Malaysia (unlikely but never say never) I would definitely check out Oman. I loved the place - such terrific people there and very civilized place. Summers a bit hot for sure, but I think that Salalah has lower temperatures for the summer? Never went to Salalah unfortunately.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

Thanks for comments, esp from Strider on the where to live side. KL or Penang I think will be favourite for me at first.

I was in Abu Dhabi for 3 years and the humidity was awful. Sometimes it was like walking in a steam room. I put up with that though so suspect Malaysia would be fine. No way would I settle in the ME, just does not appeal long term at all, or even short term, esp UAE. Nothing to do, malls, beaches (most being too hot to got to for 6 months a year), no mid range/decent bars, 5 star hotels (supposedly) charging SKY high prices for average food, and even more for the wine (RM 200 for a bog standard Chardonnay) and everything other than tat and spices REALLY expensive. The slave labour aspect of the place also grated on me AND the arrogant nature of the Emiratis who have ONLY got what they have through oil and achieved squat else on their own. Without the expats the place would collapse. Arrogance is bad trait in any race but the Emiratis have NOTHING to be arrogant about. Again, a bit OT. I'd love to see what happens there when the oil runs out, or when Iran marches in to take it. Anti UAE rant over.

Health care is always a concern. Prices of other things seem OK though. Beer about the same as the UAE, out and about it was the equivalent of about RM25 for a pint in AD, sometimes maybe RM 11 - 14 on a 'happy hour'. I don't tend to drink that much though so it never bothered me.

Feel free to change the title - retirement is a key issue.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

Well slowly getting there. Malaysia is coming out on top at the moment, haven't totally crossed the Philipinnes off but it seems a bit more one dimensional and, dare I say, 2.5 (as opposed to 3rd) world? Can't say as I've not been there but if I come to Malaysia for a good period of time I can always pop out for a look. Even look while I'm living in Malaysia I suppose. Can always move if I'm renting and decide I like the Philipinnes more. I am a bit of a foody though, love Asian food and also like the Chinese.

Anyway, things are happening slowly now, not least of which is moving all my banking to HSBC. I'd come out for a look sooner rather than later but I'm doing a professional chef's diploma just as a hobby and I have to fit around term times.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 1:42 am

If you're a foodie, it has to be Malaysia IMHO. I've never been to the 'Peens but some folks say that the food is boring (including Mr bakedbean). Of course other things nice about the 'Peens I guess, otherwise folks wouldn't be retiring there.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Been travelling the region since the 60's and always found the Philippines and in fact all other countries in S.E,Asia nice to visit for a holiday....but to live, Malaysia in spades.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Yeah, thanks both, that's my feeling. There were lots of Filipinos in he UAE and a mate of mine who's an executive chef out there used to comment that their diet was really poor, all the same, all sweet and sticky. A look down the Philipinne section of the 'ethnic' food section of Lulu and Carrefour tended to confirm that!!! Like I say, I do like Chinese people to, another plus for Malaysia.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

mnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Strider24
Been travelling the region since the 60's and always found the Philippines and in fact all other countries in S.E,Asia nice to visit for a holiday....but to live, Malaysia in spades.
I travel a lot in the region with work and for pleasure and Malaysia for me wins hands down on where I would want to live in SE Asia - as has been mentioned previously, The Philippines is nice for a holiday but I don't think I could see myself living there.

I see someone mentioned JB as a potential... Well, I've lived here over 3 years and yes the Government are promoting it as a place to live and there is a lot of development and a lot more expats then when I moved here. However, I personally wouldn't recommend it as a place to retire to, as everywhere else on the list (add to that Melaka) is streets ahead in every aspect!! However, JB is a cheap alternative to live here and work in Singapore as there is a lot of development close to the second crossing making it very easy to get across. I know of a few people making the move across the straits to get more for their money so maybe JB is a place to watch in the future!

Happy hunting and good luck!
Old Feb 9th 2011, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks. As I don't need to consider the work aspect I think Malaysia will win. That said I'm off to Panama in a couple of weeks or so to check that out first
Old Feb 11th 2011, 5:25 am
Banned

stranded traveller is just really nicestranded traveller is just really nicestranded traveller is just really nicestranded traveller is just really nicestranded traveller is just really nicestranded traveller is just really nicestranded traveller is just really nicestranded traveller is just really nicestranded traveller is just really nice

Originally Posted by Atilla
Thanks. As I don't need to consider the work aspect I think Malaysia will win. That said I'm off to Panama in a couple of weeks or so to check that out first
Hi Atilla

I'm local, and I will definetly recomend you for holiday, if you're kind person love nature and beach, strongly suggest you to visit Cameron Highlands, and also lovely beaches in East Coast, like Perhentian Island, Redang Island...if you need more info, kindly let me know ok
Old Feb 11th 2011, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks
Old Feb 11th 2011, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by stranded traveller
Hi Atilla

I'm local, and I will definetly recomend you for holiday, if you're kind person love nature and beach, strongly suggest you to visit Cameron Highlands, and also lovely beaches in East Coast, like Perhentian Island, Redang Island...if you need more info, kindly let me know ok
I think Atilla is researching for somewhere to actually live and retire. Would you recommend these places for retiring in? Cameron Highlands is a little remote, isn't it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.