Where to go?????

Old Feb 12th 2011, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice
Default Re: Where to go?????

It's a tough one and something I hope I get sorted, quality of life is probably at no 2 on the list for me under having a good time, and that aspect will be a make or break for wherever I go.

Did 3 years in a condo in the UAE and I was lucky, no neighbours one side (they were away most of the year) or the other side (away for several months - was always sorry to see her go though ). Some occasional furniture movement from above but at times it did seem that they were Ikea addicts with knock, knock, knock, tap, tap, tap for a few hours regularly. Luckily I was at work most mornings but it might have got to me had I not been!!! One thing that did really grate was the crap design of the place where the roof of the ground floor (above some boutiques) actually formed a mezzanine which made a perfect football pitch for the resident 2-6 year olds whose other pastime seemed to be screaming at the top of their voices. They were Omani or Egyptian i think and they seem to have less control exercised over them than European kids (well, some of them), particularly the civilised French. Luckily during school periods they were not in and in the summer they went back to wherever. So that I don't need. I am afraid I fall into the category of children should be seen and not heard, and preferably seen, just, through a long range telescope!

I was always conscious of when I had a blow out too, timing it generally when others were out (or if my favourite neighbour was invited!!) and being particularly careful during ramadan when the already boring UAE becomes like a mausoleum!!!

Last edited by Atilla; Feb 12th 2011 at 9:36 am.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

Originally Posted by stranded traveller
Atilla,
you sound bit fussy, but you still have more time to figure out, you might right to retired in C.Highlands might not be the best choice..I think so!
different ppl with diff needs..
I wish you all the best for your searching,hope you will find soon...ok
Look, not wishing to sound 'off' about this but it's not about being fussy, its about choosing somewhere that is right to live for ME OK!

Whether you may choose different criteria to me is not important to me at all. You live where you want. I will also, whether others think it's being fussy also doesn't bother me a monkeys

Last edited by Atilla; Feb 12th 2011 at 9:46 am.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Strider24
Soo many places would suit. For excellent shopping, its hard to beat the Sri Manjung/Sitiawan area, which has a monster Tesco and Giant, plus v.large "The Store" and Billion plus Econsave. V. few traffic jams, choices of semi D, bungalows or condo's. As for noise, I have a friend who lives opposite a small mosque and there seems to be an agreement that they wake him up and he keeps them awake with his music...at any hour.

Personally I like good condo's, as I can use some v.good earphones for music, have drinking mates close by, low maintenance and when I want to explore this wonderful region, I just walk out and close the door.
I like the sound of that place I'll look it up. Problem for me on the music front is that I like the odd party. Not loads of people, just a few, bit of a dance etc too. Not sure everyone staggering over headphone cables would be a good move Could always go for a multiple wireless set up I suppose but not sure it would have the atmos!! Some people talking with others freaking out in apparent silence with nothing but the bluetooth blue LEDs on the headsets giving away the fact they are listening to music
Old Feb 12th 2011, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

He he the mind boggles. I had never thought of a "bluetooth party" but it would be one heck of a giggle hey.

I know what your saying about condo's and you do need to be lucky. Happily the one we have in Penang is an old building very well kept and built like the proverbial outhouse..so little noise intrusion. The one we have near Sri Manjung is within a hotel so no noise in, but no noise out either, so not so good for apartment parties, although huge outdoor areas and beaches to party. (need plenty of batteries for the music machine though)

Do take a look at the Sri Manjung/Sitiawan area as there are some expats there, its an area where English is still widely spoken, cost of living way lower than say Penang or KL, is by the sea, but not too far from Ipoh, Cameron Highlands etc and only 2.1/2 hours from Penang. (3 hrs to KL). It has the Island group of Pangkor a few minutes away and also the Sembilan Islands only 12 nm away. ...so if you are at all into sailing or power boating is a dream of a place.

Plenty of bungalows to rent or buy. The only drawback is that Perak changed the minimum purchase price for expats to buy property to RM500k. However that would buy a very nice place indeed in the area.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

I will definitely check that out!! Thanks. Cost of a place is not an issue if it's right. Is there enough night life there for those times I like to go on a 'hazardous inshore mission'? Nice to have a range of options. Beach bars, sports bars, more upmarket/sophisticated joints and even a few (dozen ) decent clubs for those 4am days. I've never grown up really.

I'm a qualified skipper, did have a cracking 38' Bavaria until a few years ago, brilliant boat and superb spec, put every extra on or mind. Only sold it when I went to the UAE and I didn't fancy the boat sat in a berth devaluing. Lost a lot on it mind, but at least I sold it before the world crash!!!
Old Feb 12th 2011, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

Seriously nice boat..what a pity you still don't have it as the Dinding River has a new marina at "Marina Island" (where we have a couple of units), The Lumut international yacht club and the tiny little Perak Yacht Club where I now have a small Woods Strider 24 (you guest it!). There are golf clubs around etc, but being semi country (with city growing pains) there is a lot of "home" entertainment and general pissups. Not far to Ipoh for a bit more sophisticated entertainment.

Actually Marina Island has well advanced new 3 story semi D's in secure area. Its a 400acre man made island freehold property, with shops, shophouses, condo's, ferry service to Pangkor, convention centre. Soon the whole area will be covered with their own wifi system and while the marina is operational, the club house is not yet finished. First beach and swimming lagoon is in. Having said that a fair bit of the island is still work in progress. All within 5-10 min Sri Manjung supermarkets etc....and I have to say some very good and inexpensive places to eat.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Actually Atilla, you don't have to think of one place to live. Property is actually very cheap compared to developed countries. We have actually got a small pad in KL, another in Penang and while the ones at Marina Island are rented out for now, it gives us choices. Penang and Selangor can still buy places for a minimum of RM250k and as long as you don't want to stay in the outrageously expensive expat ghetto's, then there is lots of choice.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Boat was superb, fantastic spec, clean lines and fantastic interior. Dream to take out too, could handle the whole thing single handed. Shame it went but again it was one of those tough calls. Was never sure what my plans were next/long term.

Thanks very much for the info. I'll have a ponder. I do like to get out for 'the craic' 2-4 times a week so location will be key, I do like nice places though, and nice 'scenery' Sometimes I go through phases of not going out, health kicks and mega gym/running routines but when I have the urge I do like to party

I'll try to get out soon but am being persuaded to go to Panama early on to check it out. Some Panamanians have a very persuasive nature!! I'm doing a professional chef diploma too (just as a hobby) so am fitting around term times. It's finished in June though.

I have just consolidated funds into a HSBC account as well given the FSCS levels have gone up. Factoring that issue in I think I'll wait for one account to clear its three month qualifier period then I intend to apply for MM2H, wait for the CL, then come out on a fact-finding mission for a month or so, and likely complete the MM2H at the same time. Likely hit the 'Pines at the same time for a look-see.

I'll be in touch before and try to hook up if that's OK.

Last edited by Atilla; Feb 12th 2011 at 3:58 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 1:45 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Atila, there's a sailing forum you might be interested in if you want to Talk Boats, heh heh. I can't remember the name. Strider will know for sure. Strider, be a love and put a link in. Is it sailingmalaysia or malaysiasailing or something like that.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 1:48 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

and as long as you don't want to stay in the outrageously expensive expat ghetto's, then there is lots of choice.
I take umbridge with that remark It seems to me that the cheaper condo units (and I'm sure you know where I mean) seem to have a higher proportion of expats in residence.

Though difficult to say what is better. You get some good and bad expats, and good and bad locals too.

Agree what you say about just walking out the door in a condo. We love that - the fact that you can just take off when you feel like it. No real planning required.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by Atilla
Cost of a place is not an issue if it's right.
What about one of those fancy top floor condo units (no noise from above)? Duplex condos also sound like a neat idea. I guess you can party on the upper floor and not disturb anyone.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Now that's a good idea!!! The lock it and leave it element of a condo was very attractive.

On the boating front I'm not sure I'll go back into it again in all honesty as I find it tends to be more of a lifestyle than a hobby inasmuch as it can be fairly high maintenance, particularly if you want to get good VFM out of a boat. Problem is I have SO many other past times that I'm not sure I'd have the time. Not sure I'll get much fly fishing or clay pigeon shooting in out there though

Last edited by Atilla; Feb 13th 2011 at 7:18 am.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wah. Redbean, if you take a look at the "working" expats in Damansara Heights, Mount Kiara etc you will know what I mean. Not low cost, but very high cost and high maintenance and lifestyle. Fantastic if you are on an unlimited expense account and happy to attract every hanger on in the business. ( We were once part of the scene and happy to be out of it) Now I will really be PNG (persona non grata) in those areas for ever more...their misfortune.

Atilla as for sailing, I dont race my boat, but race with an old mate on his boat and there is always a boat needs good crew. Today 3 races and we got a 1, 2 and a 3 so am just slightly under the weather!! hic!!

You may be surprised as I have heard clay pigeon and target shooting is still an in thing here...no contacts sorry. Fly fishing is out, but fishing is very much in, both for table and catch and release...especially in the big inland lakes like Temenggor.

Sailing forum, badly in need of patronage is http://www.sailingmalaysia.com/

Cheers
Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:57 am

We have actually got a small pad in KL, another in Penang and while the ones at Marina Island are rented out for now, it gives us choices.

Heh heh.

And... changing the subject.... no-one has mentioned Melaka (or Malacca) yet. It seems to be a popular place and quite developed.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Ahh Melaka a lovely place to visit, but the traffic system makes Penang look like a picnic. Good food and the old areas really a picture....but nah, not for me personally.