Visa on arrival

Old Oct 15th 2010, 2:38 am
  #16  
BE Enthusiast
 
Strider24's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Malaysia Penang.
Posts: 379
Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Visa on arrival

Originally Posted by britishbull View Post
I think the Philippines and Cambodia are the easiest on visas if you are on a low fixed income, Malaysia seems fine from the above but I think general living costs will be a bit higher. Also depends how old you are and how high your fixed income is. I would say the best place to live would be Thalland as long as you don't get involved with bargirls (nearly all have local husbands, many with connections to the Mafia) both PI and Cambodia can be very violent places. But Thailand is a bit awkward for visas and getting expensive as the baht gets ever stronger.

Basically, the real third world in Asia isn't a very nice place to live and the countries that are powering ahead out of developing world status are tightening up their visas whilst their currencies improve, so you probably have to go off the radar somewhere and keep your mouth shut about it, as too many people heading there will soon ruin it. Which means, take six months out to travel around trying to find somewhere newish.
Just got back from Cambodia yesterday and it is more expensive than Malaysia, so is Philippines, Vietnam and Thailand is at best on par. You don't have to get MM2H status in Malaysia and a great many who enjoy 90 day visa's on arrival, do just that and travel out of the country 4 times a year.
If you want to start a business which is 100% export or find local partners if not high export, you can apply for licence and a work permit.
Sarawak and Sabah have different criteria for MM2H and may be worth exploring.
Strider24 is offline  
Old Oct 15th 2010, 8:37 am
  #17  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 29
lastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nice
Default Re: Visa on arrival

Originally Posted by Strider24 View Post
Just got back from Cambodia yesterday and it is more expensive than Malaysia, so is Philippines, Vietnam and Thailand is at best on par. You don't have to get MM2H status in Malaysia and a great many who enjoy 90 day visa's on arrival, do just that and travel out of the country 4 times a year.
If you want to start a business which is 100% export or find local partners if not high export, you can apply for licence and a work permit.
Sarawak and Sabah have different criteria for MM2H and may be worth exploring.

Can you rent a condo easily despite of being on a tourist Visa? Is it quite hard to get around without a car in Malaysia? How do you manage that on a tourist visa?
lastresort is offline  
Old Oct 15th 2010, 9:53 am
  #18  
BE Enthusiast
 
Strider24's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Malaysia Penang.
Posts: 379
Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Visa on arrival

Originally Posted by lastresort View Post
Can you rent a condo easily despite of being on a tourist Visa? Is it quite hard to get around without a car in Malaysia? How do you manage that on a tourist visa?
I haven't heard of anybody having problems renting or buying a car. I had a second hand car long before getting MM2H. The only small difficulty is opening a local bank account, but this can be done, with perseverance or use an overseas bank with local branches.
Strider24 is offline  
Old Oct 21st 2010, 6:28 am
  #19  
...............
 
bakedbean's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Far North Queensland
Posts: 17,625
bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa on arrival

Originally Posted by lastresort View Post
Is it quite hard to get around without a car in Malaysia?
You just need to pick a location where there is okay public transport. KL of course - goes without saying. In Penang it's possible if you pick the right place to live. Places like Queensbay and Pulau Tikus have everything on the doorstep (hospitals, shops, kliniks) so you can just walk. I have some friends in Batu Ferringhi who don't currently have a car and seem to be doing okay with the buses.
bakedbean is offline  
Old Oct 26th 2010, 3:42 pm
  #20  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 281
britishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa on arrival

When I was in KL a couple of months ago, I popped into a motorcycle shop to see what you needed to buy and register a new motorcycle - money! According to the sales lady you can register a new motorcycle without needing any kind of long-term visa or even proof of address or licence and it would only take a couple of days to get the bike on the road, legally registered and fitted with a new numberplate. So compared to say Thailand dead easy.

On the other poster who wanted to set up a small company and get a visa that way - possible in many places but they usually require you to have a number of local employees as well (Thailand is five locals for one foreigner, I think). Have not looked into Malaysia but probably the same. On the upside, none of these countries tend to tax overseas income so you run an internet company nominally based in say the USA and get all that money tax free, same for rental income or pension income etc. You just have to be a bit clever about things (renting out a single property in the UK you still retain your personal allowance to set against rental income and a ten percent allowance for depreciation of furniture etc so you can end up paying just a little bit of tax, can also move personal pension offshore).

The other guy saying Cambodia is more expensive than KL - surely largest cost will be renting an apartment which is circa 200 dollars a month in Phnom Penh - can you get anything decent in a reasonably central KL area for that?
britishbull is offline  
Old Oct 27th 2010, 5:47 am
  #21  
...............
 
bakedbean's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Far North Queensland
Posts: 17,625
bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa on arrival

Originally Posted by Strider24 View Post
Just got back from Cambodia yesterday and it is more expensive than Malaysia, so is Philippines, Vietnam and Thailand is at best on par.
Someone I know told me that the beer is real cheap in Cambodia. So maybe if you drink beer by the gallon, Cambodia may seem a bit cheaper
bakedbean is offline  
Old Oct 28th 2010, 1:36 pm
  #22  
BE Enthusiast
 
Strider24's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Malaysia Penang.
Posts: 379
Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Visa on arrival

Originally Posted by britishbull View Post
When I was in KL a couple of months ago, I popped into a motorcycle shop to see what you needed to buy and register a new motorcycle - money! According to the sales lady you can register a new motorcycle without needing any kind of long-term visa or even proof of address or licence and it would only take a couple of days to get the bike on the road, legally registered and fitted with a new numberplate. So compared to say Thailand dead easy.

On the other poster who wanted to set up a small company and get a visa that way - possible in many places but they usually require you to have a number of local employees as well (Thailand is five locals for one foreigner, I think). Have not looked into Malaysia but probably the same. On the upside, none of these countries tend to tax overseas income so you run an internet company nominally based in say the USA and get all that money tax free, same for rental income or pension income etc. You just have to be a bit clever about things (renting out a single property in the UK you still retain your personal allowance to set against rental income and a ten percent allowance for depreciation of furniture etc so you can end up paying just a little bit of tax, can also move personal pension offshore).

The other guy saying Cambodia is more expensive than KL - surely largest cost will be renting an apartment which is circa 200 dollars a month in Phnom Penh - can you get anything decent in a reasonably central KL area for that?
Plenty of places for US$200 a month of similar standard as the money will buy in Phnom Penh. The big difference is price of beer, which is very much cheaper in Cambodia, but food generally higher.
Strider24 is offline  
Old Nov 1st 2010, 5:23 pm
  #23  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 281
britishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa on arrival

Hi Strider, sorry to take it off topic but any hints on where to start looking for these US200 apartments in KL, I am seriously thinking about using KL as a base for travelling around the region, am semi-retired and self-funded so don't won't to waste too much money on rental... in PP it is relatively easy to wander around in the day looking for rental adverts on likely buildings but I have not really seen any likely contenders whilst wandering around central KL. A room with its own bathroom that is clean and in a central location is what I am looking for, don't want serviced apartment or condo.
britishbull is offline  
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 7:53 am
  #24  
BE Enthusiast
 
Strider24's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Malaysia Penang.
Posts: 379
Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Visa on arrival

Originally Posted by britishbull View Post
Hi Strider, sorry to take it off topic but any hints on where to start looking for these US200 apartments in KL, I am seriously thinking about using KL as a base for travelling around the region, am semi-retired and self-funded so don't won't to waste too much money on rental... in PP it is relatively easy to wander around in the day looking for rental adverts on likely buildings but I have not really seen any likely contenders whilst wandering around central KL. A room with its own bathroom that is clean and in a central location is what I am looking for, don't want serviced apartment or condo.
Hi Britishbull,
Centre KL is not an area I know housing. I live on the outskirts with direct bus link to the city centre and close to rail. Its on the north side in the Batu Caves/Selayang region and has decent supermarkets and shops close at hand, much cheaper (and better) stall food than centre KL and I rarely find a need to raise my blood pressure in the city/PJ region. If you would like me to do a bit of a search, email me [email protected]
Strider24 is offline  
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 12:44 pm
  #25  
BE Enthusiast
 
Strider24's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Malaysia Penang.
Posts: 379
Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Visa on arrival

Originally Posted by Strider24 View Post
Hi Britishbull,
Centre KL is not an area I know housing. I live on the outskirts with direct bus link to the city centre and close to rail. Its on the north side in the Batu Caves/Selayang region and has decent supermarkets and shops close at hand, much cheaper (and better) stall food than centre KL and I rarely find a need to raise my blood pressure in the city/PJ region. If you would like me to do a bit of a search, email me [email protected]
Sorry, can't even remember my own email address. should be [email protected]
Strider24 is offline  
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 8:57 am
  #26  
...............
 
bakedbean's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Far North Queensland
Posts: 17,625
bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa on arrival

Hi guys I know that you two are a bit new to this forum, so you may like to know that some of the functionality on this forum is different to others. If you click on a person's name, like Strider or me Bakedbean, you'll get a pop down menu and can View Profile, send a PM, send an Email, and even be generally nosey and see all Strider's postings. Have fun.
bakedbean is offline  
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 9:00 am
  #27  
BE Enthusiast
 
Strider24's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Malaysia Penang.
Posts: 379
Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Visa on arrival

Originally Posted by bakedbean View Post
Hi guys I know that you two are a bit new to this forum, so you may like to know that some of the functionality on this forum is different to others. If you click on a person's name, like Strider or me Bakedbean, you'll get a pop down menu and can View Profile, send a PM, send an Email, and even be generally nosey and see all Strider's postings. Have fun.
Wah, how cool is that. Thanks bakedbean
Strider24 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.