Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Validity of overseas marriage in Malaysia

Validity of overseas marriage in Malaysia

Old Jan 17th 2019, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

ChrisC1955 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Validity of overseas marriage in Malaysia

Aar2, in the end I converted. Our marriage in the mosque is of course recognised in Malaysia but we’re going to have a civil ceremony under British law in Gibraltar to ensure that there are no difficulties with inheritance.
Of course if you were born Muslim and I assume you are Malay, then you are still Muslim in the eyes of the religious and unless you married your husband under shariah law, the attitude of Malaysia would be that you’re not actually married!
I wish you well...
c
Old Jan 17th 2019, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

aar2 is an unknown quantity at this point

ChrisC thanks so much for the quick reply. Congrats on the marriage and really great that you found a way through it that you are ok with. I am of mixed race but yes born muslim in malaysia, so automatically that is on my identity card. Been living abroad (UK, US and europe) for more than 20 years so I don't intend to return home. I am agnostic, so the last thing would be to expect my partners to convert. We had married in europe, where we live, but my husband gets a bit nervous about returning home and staying together there for visits. Although my parents and extended family are ok with it, he still fears being found out and the repercussions of it. It does sound pretty severe for a freedom loving westerner! It seems though there is no other way out and for now, till the end of my days, we will never be considered married when in Malaysia I suppose..A
Old Jan 17th 2019, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

ChrisC1955 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think if you stayed in the more cosmopolitan areas of Malaysia you’d have no problems. Only in the kampung would people stick their noses into your business. I converted purely to protect my then girlfriend from being denounced by some busybody.
Good luck and much happiness to you and your husband.
Old Jan 17th 2019, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

aar2 is an unknown quantity at this point

ChrisC Thanks! Will keep that in mind
Old Mar 6th 2019, 6:54 am
Just Joined

juzza is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aar2
ChrisC thanks so much for the quick reply. Congrats on the marriage and really great that you found a way through it that you are ok with. I am of mixed race but yes born muslim in malaysia, so automatically that is on my identity card. Been living abroad (UK, US and europe) for more than 20 years so I don't intend to return home. I am agnostic, so the last thing would be to expect my partners to convert. We had married in europe, where we live, but my husband gets a bit nervous about returning home and staying together there for visits. Although my parents and extended family are ok with it, he still fears being found out and the repercussions of it. It does sound pretty severe for a freedom loving westerner! It seems though there is no other way out and for now, till the end of my days, we will never be considered married when in Malaysia I suppose..A
Hi aar2, I was wondering how did you manage to marry abroad with a non-muslim? I mean in order to get married, you need to obtain some certificates such as a proof of non impediement. Those certificates are given by the islamic authorities in Malaysia. How did you get those papers? Didn't they ask you to give a proof that your future husband is converted?