Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Common law letter- help!

Common law letter- help!

Old Mar 18th 2019, 10:31 am
Just Joined

GMTKL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Common law letter- help!

Hi all, my fiancé, two children and I are moving to KL in August and I've taken on a job in an international school. We are due to marry in late May, but by that point, it'll be too late for the school to arrange a spouse visa for my fiancé and visas for the kids. With that in mind, the school requested I obtain an affidavit / common law acknowledgement letter so they can stay longer than 3 months (!). Can anyone help with this? I've approached a solicitor but he said I'd need to have the exact wording to commission an oath, which the school haven't given me. They seem to think I need to attend an interview with my fiancé and proof of ID somewhere, although I'm not sure where and I'm not sure they know either! Has anyone been through something similar?
Old Mar 28th 2019, 4:41 am
Just Joined

shessojag is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Common law letter- help!

BHC in KL can issue you a common law partner letter for Dependant Pass about 200RM. You can search in uk gov website. All the details of what to bring / fees are in there.

But I have got one more option as I’m not British.
I also can get a letter from my Embassy, so I typed all the details of myself, my partner and our kid on an A4 paper then got it signed and stamped. It’s good to go. For the last 3 years I just typed a new one and got it signed and stamped then applied for 1 year Social Visit Pass.

I got my letter for 60RM.
Old Mar 29th 2019, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much for your help- I'm still in the UK at the moment though (we don't travel to KL until August). Do you know if there is anywhere in the UK I can go to get the letter?
Old Mar 29th 2019, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

shessojag is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GMTKL
Thanks so much for your help- I'm still in the UK at the moment though (we don't travel to KL until August). Do you know if there is anywhere in the UK I can go to get the letter?
Sorry I really don’t know how to get it in UK but I know for sure if you can get it in anywhere else outside Malaysia, you will need to get it certified at Malaysian Embassy before you can submit it to Malaysian Immigration. Not all British Embassies/BHCs can issue letter. Like in Thailand, British embassy can’t /won’t issue common law partner letter because it’s not recognised under UK or Thai law. My guess is you can’t get it in UK.
Old Mar 29th 2019, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by shessojag

Sorry I really don’t know how to get it in UK but I know for sure if you can get it in anywhere else outside Malaysia, you will need to get it certified at Malaysian Embassy before you can submit it to Malaysian Immigration. Not all British Embassies/BHCs can issue letter. Like in Thailand, British embassy can’t /won’t issue common law partner letter because it’s not recognised under UK or Thai law. My guess is you can’t get it in UK.
yes I think the Malaysian high commission we're taking about this when I visited them- said I'd need to get the document legalized first by U.K. authorities and then them. But it does seem like finding this letter is proving a near impossible task!