Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

UK to introduce fines for middle lane "hoggers"

UK to introduce fines for middle lane "hoggers"

Old Jun 10th 2013, 2:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK to introduce fines for middle lane "hoggers"

Interesting article!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22770064

I wonder what would happen if they tried to introduce this in Malaysia? Apparently my (Malaysian) sister-in-law criticised me as I always pull back into the left hand lane after overtaking. Also interesting to hear people (in the comments section) refer to the middle and outside lanes as fast and faster! Stupid old me thought that the speed limit in all lanes on a motorway was the same and that the outer lanes were referred to as overtaking lanes? One comment in particular was priceless: ".... and as for BMW & Audi drivers who come right up behind you and tailgate at 100 m.p.h. ....." of course, those of you who remember will realise that the National Speed Limit on U.K. motorways is still 70 m.p.h. !!!
Old Jun 10th 2013, 3:38 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to introduce fines for middle lane "hoggers"

Mr bakedbean, who has been driving since the year dot, reckons that it used to be the case that the outside line was for overtaking, but no more apparently. And how exactly will they impose these fines anyway? It's all daft I reckon.

Yes, wouldn't be a lot of point here in Malaysia, where folks travel in all sorts of directions and take no notice of red lights
Old Jun 11th 2013, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

julian1968 is an unknown quantity at this point

Fines for clowns who sit in the middle lane and moving at 50mph, its a start but I can think of better things to fine people for.... Not saying thanks to me when I hold open a door for a 'lady' and they dont even see me .... the scum bags that sit in McDonalds carpark filling their face then drop the rubbish out of the window because they can't get their lazy a**s out of the car and move it to the bin 10 yards away ... People wearing their jeans half way down their bums and thinking they look good ...

I love being grumpy :-)
Old Jun 14th 2013, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Been on holiday in France for two weeks and even though we've been many times and always drive this is the first time I've noticed French drivers returning to the inside lane immediately after overtaking.

They do it a bit too fast sometimes but if the French can learn about driving like that the Malaysians will do it easily.

Singaporeans on the other hand ...
Old Jun 14th 2013, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julian1968
....but I can think of better things to fine people for.... Not saying thanks to me when I hold open a door for a 'lady' and they dont even see me .... the scum bags that sit in McDonalds carpark filling their face then drop the rubbish out of the window because they can't get their lazy a**s out of the car and move it to the bin 10 yards away ... People wearing their jeans half way down their bums and thinking they look good ...

I love being grumpy :-)
a favourite gripe of mine is the Malaysians in the Tesco car park leaving trolleys in the middle of a parking bay (3 at once sometimes), the middle of a lane or wherever and usually there is an EMPTY trolley bay within 5 (10 at most) yards (or should that be metres?) Actually, last night, we saw a lorry driver throw one of those drinks bags out of the window..... and it still had some sort of liquid in it!

"Not saying thanks to me when I hold a door open for a 'lady' (!)" - happens (or at least it used to) regularly in KLCC - not only that, but if you are behind anyone in there, watch out for the person in front of you - they always just let the doors go and.......... well, just pay attention, that's all!
Old Jun 15th 2013, 1:36 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I always say thanks and a smile. It's politeness, isn't it. And those that barge ahead, I say Age before Beauty