Visa questions

Old Jun 14th 2013, 10:47 am
Just Joined

Dorwell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa questions

Hi all,

Just a quick question. Is it possible to apply for a working visa whilst in the country? or should I do it all before I go out?

Has anyone got any experience with doing it in the country?

Cheers,

D
Old Jun 15th 2013, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa questions

Originally Posted by Dorwell
Hi all,

Just a quick question. Is it possible to apply for a working visa whilst in the country? or should I do it all before I go out?

Has anyone got any experience with doing it in the country?

Cheers,

D
Hi Dorwell and !

I did back in 2006. I was working on an IT project and to start with, came in for no more than 90 days. I probably did this 4 or 5 times. I was employed by a European Company but seconded to another European-based company. We had a project office in PJ. Most of the others were employees of the other company, so it sorted out their visas pretty quickly. I had arrived in Malaysia in February, but my company didn't sort my visa out until the August. I was only questioned about the visa once, and that was when I was coming back into Malaysia from a long weekend in Singapore. Basically, there had been a mix-up between the 2 companies as to who was going to apply for the visa. My own employer did it in the end. I guess a lot depends on your own circumstances/employer. I think it is usually better to have your employer apply and get it sorted before you arrive in Malaysia. Your HR department should be able to assist.

If you don't have a firm offer of a job, then I don't think you will be able to apply for a work visa anyway.