Thinking about it?

Old Jun 13th 2013, 6:55 am
Just Joined

Big Dave5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking about it?

So, a brief history, I have worked in Africa for the last year and a half on a month/month rotation and now that the job seems more longterm, my partner thinks we should move. I did get a shock when she said she fancied trying abroad(we currently live in Scotland). So I looked around, saw some fantastic houses in our price range for Malaysia and read that the standard of living etc is great.

So decided to join here and get a feel of it and some general info from those in the know.

I have a 2 y/o son. How are the schools? My research says very good.

Tax. I will be earning my money abroad, do I pay income tax in malaysia? What taxes would I expect to pay, on the assumption I buy a house?

What are the hidden downsides to moving to Malaysia?

As I will be away for 6 month od the year, how is the area going to be for my partner and son left there? I assume there is large expat communities and that there are get togethers with friends etc?

That is is basically, unless you guys know about other things I should know.

P.S. The area that we quite liked was near Ipoh?

Last edited by Big Dave5; Jun 13th 2013 at 7:20 am. Reason: Forgotten some info
Old Jun 13th 2013, 1:35 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking about it?

Hi and welcome to the forum. What visa do you intend to get to live here?
Old Jun 13th 2013, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

I have been reading up some more since I posted as quiet at work and am beginning to think this will not happen. There seems to be no way for me to get a relevant visa. The MM2H says I need to deposit RM3,000,000 which is a non starter for me I am afraid.

I think my partner and myself have done things the wrong way, rather than see where we can get visas and then seeing if we liked it, we have found somewhere we liked before finding out how easy it is to get in.

Sorry for wasting your time.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 2:30 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

No worries. Have to start somewhere eh. Think you got the MM2H deposit wrong. For under 50s is 300,000. But probably not for you just yet .

Just my opinion, but I would start with thinking about your son's education first. Also remember that the grass is not always greener in another country. Maybe you just need a change of scenery in the UK.

Anyways all the best with your research
Old Jun 13th 2013, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that anyway. I did think the 3mil was a bit off. TBH, as long as I get a beer my home is wherever I am sitting down, hence working in Nigeria 6 month of the year. It is the girlfriend that wants a move more than me, but all these things still in the embryo stage.

Again, thanks for the advice anyway.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

rusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of light

What is the 3 million requirement you are referring to?
Old Jun 14th 2013, 6:08 am
Just Joined

It was not 3 mil, it was 300k. The site I was on was not very clear.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

rusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of light

Ah, OK, and I believe over age 50 that drops to MYR150K which is a lot easier. Cost of living in Malaysia is very cheap and you will get about 3.5%pa back as income on the FD.
Good luck with whatever you decide.