Teaching in Brunei

Old Apr 14th 2010, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

Zootalaws has a brilliant futureZootalaws has a brilliant futureZootalaws has a brilliant futureZootalaws has a brilliant futureZootalaws has a brilliant futureZootalaws has a brilliant future
Default Teaching in Brunei

Hi there,

My wife is looking at teaching jobs in Brunei and I wondered if anyone had any handy information?

We have been to Malaysia before and so have a reasonable idea what to expect from the weather.

I grew up in Malaysia and Singapore - although many moons ago - and have been to Borneo, Sarawak and Sabah - but in the 70s - I'm sure it has changed So I am comfortable among Malay and Indonesian, Indian and Chinese people.

So, what to expect?

I am in IT and haven't got a job or an offer there - how hard is it to get a job when you are in-country?

We are Kiwi's but have lived the last 10 years in the UK - not food fussy or anything like that - more likely to be wide-eyed and wanting to try anything and everything.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in Brunei

Well, of course Brunei is in Brunei and not in Malaysia.
You may be aware of that but it's not how your post reads.

Although a small country if the job isn't in BSB then it may be difficult for you to find work elsewhere unless you can find something in the oil industry, in KB or Lumut, with Shell.
But those towns aren't in commuting distance to BSB, imo.

There is a thriving HHH there.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 4:48 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I can tell you that Brunei is a "dry" country, or at least it was a few years ago when my other half did a job there i.e. you cannot get a beer He wasn't that impressed with the country but, then again, he does enjoy a beer, so that may have had something to do with it.

As ex-reg pointed out, of course Brunei is a separate country and not part of Malaysia. Historically, it almost joined Malaysia but did not.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Zootalaws
I grew up in Malaysia and Singapore - although many moons ago - and have been to Borneo, Sarawak and Sabah - but in the 70s - I'm sure it has changed So I am comfortable among Malay and Indonesian, Indian and Chinese people.
As did my OH. Kuching by any chance?
Old Apr 15th 2010, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

Zootalaws has a brilliant futureZootalaws has a brilliant futureZootalaws has a brilliant futureZootalaws has a brilliant futureZootalaws has a brilliant futureZootalaws has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ex reg
Well, of course Brunei is in Brunei and not in Malaysia.
You may be aware of that but it's not how your post reads.
Yeah, I'm pretty good with geography... the point referring to Malaysia was about the weather.

HHH? I am not built for running
Old Apr 15th 2010, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by OzSheila
As did my OH. Kuching by any chance?
Tengah, Changi, KL, Butterworth
Old Apr 15th 2010, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bakedbean
I can tell you that Brunei is a "dry" country
Not an issue, I can take or leave the drink...
Old Apr 28th 2010, 8:06 am
Banned

wowoweee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Zootalaws
Hi there,

My wife is looking at teaching jobs in Brunei and I wondered if anyone had any handy information?

We have been to Malaysia before and so have a reasonable idea what to expect from the weather.

So, what to expect?

I am in IT and haven't got a job or an offer there - how hard is it to get a job when you are in-country?

We are Kiwi's but have lived the last 10 years in the UK - not food fussy or anything like that - more likely to be wide-eyed and wanting to try anything and everything.
umm no offense but maybe you should take a trip to brunei first before deciding to move there for good.

the bruneian economy is something like 90% oil, so there are not many jobs there to be honest.