British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Licence (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/suspension-conversion-foreign-driving-licence-malaysia-driving-licence-917979/)

eCdD Jan 14th 2019 4:15 am

Re: Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Lice
 
I am not sure if it is possible to see from the licence that it is a converted licence. And when I made the licence some years ago with the famous embassy letter I was told that no more documents are needed for renewal then later after 5 years, just the old licence.

SushiFan Jan 14th 2019 8:31 am

Re: Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Lice
 

Originally Posted by eCdD (Post 12621067)
I am not sure if it is possible to see from the licence that it is a converted licence. And when I made the licence some years ago with the famous embassy letter I was told that no more documents are needed for renewal then later after 5 years, just the old licence.

This confirms the stories I heard: you only have to show your old ("soon to expire") Malaysian driver's license and JPJ will provide you with a new one.

Willy789 Mar 8th 2019 7:47 am

Re: Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Lice
 
I'm confused. UK licence, on an EP and was wondering if anyone had tried to hire a car when on an EP. no idp. Im sure car hire companies will be up on regulations in order not to break law

eCdD Mar 8th 2019 1:51 pm

Re: Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Lice
 

Originally Posted by Willy789 (Post 12649885)
I'm confused. UK licence, on an EP and was wondering if anyone had tried to hire a car when on an EP. no idp. Im sure car hire companies will be up on regulations in order not to break law

A friend of mine just one week before rented a car with his EU driving licence. And added his Chinese wife as second driver just with her passport.

Macsta Sep 4th 2019 2:03 pm

Re: Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Lice
 
Seems like some positive news :thumbsup: :fingerscrossed:

https://www.nst.com.my/news/nation/2019/09/518642/special-consideration-malaysians-convert-foreign-driving-licences-local







meched55 Sep 4th 2019 4:51 pm

Re: Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Lice
 
WOW finally they are moving in the right direction. WOOHOO
Let's hope they follow through supposed to start in November. Miracles never cease. Now if they would bring back the no tax on car purchases
for MM2H that would be a big incentive too.

Paisa Dec 1st 2019 2:49 am

Re: Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Lice
 
I was wondering if anyone has yet converted a foreign licence under the new arrangements. I am on MM2H and wish to do this with my UK licence and assume I can simply visit the JPJ on Penang Island for the purpose. Any advice (documents/fees required etc.) would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Scuba Tyke Dec 17th 2019 3:12 am

Re: Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Lice
 

Originally Posted by Paisa (Post 12772102)
I was wondering if anyone has yet converted a foreign licence under the new arrangements. I am on MM2H and wish to do this with my UK licence and assume I can simply visit the JPJ on Penang Island for the purpose. Any advice (documents/fees required etc.) would be appreciated.
Thanks.

I'm currently preparing the forms for this, just waiting for my 'Certification Letter' from DVLA in UK. I'll update once I've submitted.

inggris Dec 17th 2019 5:01 am

Re: Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Lice
 

Originally Posted by Scuba Tyke (Post 12779657)
I'm currently preparing the forms for this, just waiting for my 'Certification Letter' from DVLA in UK. I'll update once I've submitted.

Just a matter of interest: Is a 'Certification Letter' a "Certificate of Driving Entitlement"? May I know how it can be ordered from DVLA?

Macsta Dec 17th 2019 6:02 am

Re: Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Lice
 

Originally Posted by Scuba Tyke (Post 12779657)
I'm currently preparing the forms for this, just waiting for my 'Certification Letter' from DVLA in UK. I'll update once I've submitted.

Thanks for the information Scuba, I have not heard of a "certification letter" from DVLA, can you please give more information regarding and obtaining it, many thanks.

Scuba Tyke Dec 17th 2019 10:37 am

Re: Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Lice
 
Call DVLA on +443007906801 & ask for a letter 'certifying' your existing UK licence & they will provide one. Explain that it's part of the process for the Malaysian authorities to allow you to drive here. Have the obvious details to hand, including your driving licence number. I had mine sent to a UK address, not sure if they will post overseas. The lady I spoke to was very helpful & understood exactly what I was talking about.

Epicurious Dec 18th 2019 1:19 am

Re: Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Lice
 

Originally Posted by Scuba Tyke (Post 12779737)
Call DVLA on +443007906801 & ask for a letter 'certifying' your existing UK licence & they will provide one. Explain that it's part of the process for the Malaysian authorities to allow you to drive here. Have the obvious details to hand, including your driving licence number. I had mine sent to a UK address, not sure if they will post overseas. The lady I spoke to was very helpful & understood exactly what I was talking about.

I don't understand why they want this letter. Why are a current UK driving licence, plus an IDP, plus passport not sufficient?

Scuba Tyke Dec 18th 2019 6:51 am

Re: Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Lice
 

Originally Posted by Epicurious (Post 12780068)
I don't understand why they want this letter. Why are a current UK driving licence, plus an IDP, plus passport not sufficient?

That question you would have to ask of JPJ. It's required by their official process. I gave up trying to use logic and reasoning with government departments long ago, if you don't provide what they ask for you don't get what you want, simple as that ;)

Epicurious Dec 18th 2019 10:47 am

Re: Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Lice
 

Originally Posted by Scuba Tyke (Post 12780135)
That question you would have to ask of JPJ. It's required by their official process. I gave up trying to use logic and reasoning with government departments long ago, if you don't provide what they ask for you don't get what you want, simple as that ;)

You're absolutely right, of course. I'm just trying to divine the reason for the letter. Is it perhaps because UK licences no longer come with the paper counterpart?

Macsta Dec 18th 2019 11:13 am

Re: Suspension Of Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysia Driving Lice
 

Originally Posted by Epicurious (Post 12780068)
I don't understand why they want this letter. Why are a current UK driving licence, plus an IDP, plus passport not sufficient?

Thanks for the information Scuba, ref the above I would suggest that it is not the UK licences that are the problem but in an age of counterfeiting when you can literally fake anything they are trying to get verification.

But of course that would not stop a fake verification letter to verify a fake driving licence.:blink:

But all of the above could well be fake news :thumbup:


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:20 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.