Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Salaries...whats enough.

Salaries...whats enough.

Old Apr 20th 2015, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salaries...whats enough.

Britmal,
We are only two and live in Penang in a condo, 2000Sqft.
Water charges for us are appr. RM7 for every two months.
That computes to almost 35 cubic meters of water as per the bill.
(Or 575 liters per day)
And yes, we shower mornings and evenings plus use the washing machine quite frequently.
Sure your mother in laws bill is not RM 6 per month? (Which also would be quite high unless she is watering the garden, washing a car, etc.
Sewerage is 8RM per month, so a total monthly for water in and out would be some RM15 for us.

With an electricity bill of RM 150 per month it means a total consumption of 441kWh or around 14.5kWh per day. (See the tariff in #40 above)
This would amount to 600W permanently on during the whole month.
Our inverter fridge consumes some 800W per day or 33W/h.

So, if she has an old fridge, it may very well be the culprit.
Alternatively, maybe someone is stealing power from her :-).

Last edited by Gunnar45; Apr 20th 2015 at 1:33 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Britmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really nice

When I said that your tread had inadvertently trodden on a landmine it wasn't because of the questions you asked but because of a certain poster who started joining in! If you look at someone's post history before taking the trouble to answer them it can avoid a lot of trouble. Although they may eventually get banned they can always come back under another name so best just to take precautions.

I don't know if BB can delete a thread but there is nothing of great value here and it does give a bad image of BE, so let's hope she can.
I take it that your above post refers to me? Well, let me tell you that when I first came here there were very, very few expats here, and that suited me just fine. But now we have a bunch of expats here who actually know absolutely nothing about the place but who are apparently online experts in anything remotely Malaysian! Their general attitude and arrogance annoys me and frankly I would be much happier if they all returned to their respective homelands.

Britmal,
We are only two and live in Penang in a condo, 2000Sqft.
Water charges for us are appr. RM7 for every two months.
That computes to almost 35 cubic meters of water as per the bill.
(Or 575 liters per day)
And yes, we shower mornings and evenings plus use the washing machine quite frequently.
Sure your mother in laws bill is not RM 6 per month? (Which also would be quite high unless she is watering the garden, washing a car, etc.
Sewerage is 8RM per month, so a total monthly for water in and out would be some RM15 for us.

With an electricity bill of RM 150 per month it means a total consumption of 441kWh or around 14.5kWh per day. (See the tariff in #40 above)
This would amount to 600W permanently on during the whole month.
Our inverter fridge consumes some 800W per day or 33W/h.

So, if she has an old fridge, it may very well be the culprit.
Alternatively, maybe someone is stealing power from her :-).
I know how much the TNB and water bills are because I very often pay them. My brother's in law work for local government departments and they have not been able to reduce the monthly bills, my MIL's neighbours are billed in similar amounts.

The fridge is fairly new, so don't give me any patronising sh**te about 'old fridges' or etc., OK?

Last edited by Britmal; Apr 20th 2015 at 4:28 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gunnar45
Here are the present electricity rates in Malaysia for domestic users:

kWh RM/kWh
</= 200 0.218
201-300 0.334
301-600 0.516
601-900 0.546
901 - 0.571
Thanks Gunnar45 for the info...it gives me a perspective, although from another country, but is useful for camparisons on expat living and expenses abroad. It looks like Malaysia and Indonesia are similar on electrical rates as I posted that ours is just under Rm 0.5/KWH and I've a max capacity of 7.7KW to the villa. Here the rate used is not by amount consumed but by amount 'available' for consumption....whether used or not...go figure.

I think we have debated electrical supply systems before and I agree with you that inverter A/Cs are the way to go. If I needed to renew any A/C I would accept the higher capital cost of the unit for the efficiency and lower operating cost of the inverter A/C overtime.
We run our bedroom A/C almost 20 hours/day but, unless we have guests, the other 4 are almost never used.
The next biggest energy expense is our pool pump which we run 8 hours/day but I'm told that is overkill.
Cooking is mostly done by LPG bottle gas which is relatively cheap.
Most of our lighting is efficient flourescent but the garden lighting I've converted to LED, which we leave ON, on a timer, overnight for security.
Our last month electric bill was equivelant to Rm 560....which is the highest we've had due to the govt reducing all energy subsidy to zero.
For comparison, I previously lived in Vancouver and our monthly house heating bill from October to March (central gas furnace/piped water) was equivelant to about Rm 1,000/month.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 9:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Baked Bean is a concierge...only moderators and admin can delete/close threads. It should be noted that BE Admin aka BEVS is keeping a close eye on this thread. Those amongst you who are causing problems would be wise to take note.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 20th 2015 at 10:51 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 10:38 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Haggis68

i think this thread has served its purpose, i am happy with the discussion to date and have been well informed by all posters.

I think the slide into racial territory and other areas has fractured the thread and if could request it be deleted or in least stopped.
I agree Haggis78.

There is some quality information sharing in your thread so at least you have seen what a good bunch this lot are. Just a shame it has been marred in the way it has & for no good reason that I can think of really.

FWIW , BE viewpoint is that 'we are all in it together' & so does ask that its members treat each other with respect . It is perfectly OK to challenge points of views and opinions but it is not OK to descend to insults & jibes when doing so.

I do hope this hasn't spoiled your experience of BE and that you'll stick around and be a part of this Malaysian community.

All the best & welcome to the wonderful world of BE Haggis78

Thread closed.