Ringgit fluctuation

Old Dec 7th 2017, 12:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ringgit fluctuation

Originally Posted by skates81
Just three and a bit years ago (2013) when I got MM2H visa, the 1 USD was only equal to RM 2.9, so I wired my USD in Malaysia for the FD for that rate. And soon after I got MM2H, the ringgit depreciated sharply and was recently as low as RM 4.5 to USD, an approximate 50 % decrease in value. I wish I could have applied MM2H when it was 4.5 to USD, I would have saved 50% of my USD capital by doing so. And still, if I cancel my MM2H and reconvert my FD to USD back, I'm going to suffer around 35% of my total USD capital loss.
Moving a substantial part of your net worth into a small, volatile currency was, at best, ill-advised. Small under-developed countries' currencies commonly lose value over time, and so there is a strong likelihood that a significant part of your capital loss is permanent.
Old Dec 8th 2017, 5:55 am
Just Joined

skates81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Moving a substantial part of your net worth into a small, volatile currency was, at best, ill-advised. Small under-developed countries' currencies commonly lose value over time, and so there is a strong likelihood that a significant part of your capital loss is permanent.
LOL yeah. Still, I have around 6 years left on my MM2H visa and I am planning to hold on to the visa until it expires, so I hope that in 6 years time I'm able to get my full capital back with some profits.
Old Dec 8th 2017, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Moving a substantial part of your net worth into a small, volatile government-controlled currency was, at best, ill-advised. Small under-developed countries' currencies commonly lose value over time, and so there is a strong likelihood that a significant part of your capital loss is permanent.
Fixed that for you.....
Old Dec 11th 2017, 10:02 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Macsta
Thanks all for the responses and information plus those who gave predictions.

2018 election - yikes - "Fasten your seat belts, its going to be a bumpy night!"
Macsta, you may find this article answers your question more completely:-

Ringgit seen at below 4.00 against US dollar in 2018 | The Edge Markets

Oil price seems to be the most significant factor.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

Macsta is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
Oil price seems to be the most significant factor.
Many thanks for the information IVV, very interesting now if I can just buy into that bitcoin malarkey I will make my fortune.
Old Dec 18th 2017, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

ssoomro is an unknown quantity at this point

here is the latest news: https://www.thestar.com.my/business/...-rise-further/
Old Dec 18th 2017, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

Macsta is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ssoomro
Many thanks for the update, good to know.
Old Dec 18th 2017, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

The Star publishes an article every day about the exchange rate MYR/USD. Inherently is the contents very much short term ("the hype of the day") and not based on longer term trends or economic circumstances.