Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Question about property bubble and banks

Question about property bubble and banks

Old Dec 17th 2011, 7:53 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about property bubble and banks

There was supposed to be an Alila II being built at the back of Alila. Not sure if that is still on the cards but no doubt some construction noise depending which unit you were looking at.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

Hmmm. I'm beginning to think I might slow it down again. Not sure but I think I'm almost talking myself into the MG unit which does seem a bit small and way overpriced. Units there plotted since Sept carving 15-20 k off price as they are not going. Thing with MG is there will always be units there.

I'm keeping an eye on Alila and Alila ii. Just been chatting to Boon Siew too. Think I might just say forget it until after CNY and enjoy the festivities without the hassle of house hunting. Sure fire way to test the theory of bubble burst.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

Hi Rob47 and hope your application goes without a hitch. I confirm Public Bank is good to deal with and solid. The interest on FD is yours and after 12 months you can apply to withdraw MR50,000 for house etc.
Forget the bubble. Europe, Australia, North America is where you wait as prices keep crashing. Values are still going up and empty units mean nothing here. Only the very high end is well oversupplied as greedy developers assumed we stupid round eyes could be easily fleeced.
Can't agree with my esteemed friends, as generally off the plan property takes a nosedive soon after completion...usually indicates overpriced in the first place. But as friends have said before, wait, sniff out and get what you want where you want it. I also agree rent is dead money. My preference is for older places, where any problems are now visible and often the old places are on choice sites....and that includes where the prevailing breeze is uninterrupted allowing for minimum use of cursed AC's.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 1:03 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry not true about offplan in Penang. May be the case in KL, don't know. We bought offplan here but wasn't at the start of project. We bought about 1 year before completion so didn't get the best prices. Even so there has just been a sale of same unit as ours, lower floor, at 30 percent increase to what we paid . this is an actual sale not some fantasy figure on mudah website

Some of the older condos are good eg Miami Green, Golden Bay. But some older ones are pretty grim too and i gather some management issues in a fair few cases.

For Atilla, I'm prob being a bit negative about alila. I don't wish to be so but its very family orientated IMHO. If you have noise concerns and like open windows (no aircon) it can be noisy. Please feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

I cannot remember the size of the unit of my chums place at Miami. It was small but didn't seem so. nice design. The kitchen was small .
No condo is perfect I'm afraid just need to get most of the boxes ticked i guess. We ruled out as we did not want west facing. Beautiful sunsets of course.

Last edited by bakedbean; Dec 17th 2011 at 1:19 pm. Reason: PS. I have friends at both of those condos so don't have any gong to bang either way, just to clarify
Old Dec 18th 2011, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

I'd agree with off-plan here. I don't know of any off-plans that are not being shifted now for considerable mark-up. Island Resort, near on 100%, Surin 70%, Brezza 80%. And some of the older units are awful.

@BB. Thanks. Might be in touch if I pursue Alila. For me it scored over many of the other blocks due to the setting, similar to, but not quite as good as, MG. It's the unit design and size (on a per block basis) that gives it an edge. Around 1,400 sf, closer to my ideal of 1,600. BUT it is higher density than MG and there did seem to be a lot of screaming kids about. Then there's the oversight from certain windowscetc and air wells, a pet hate. I'd consider Alila but only a corner unit, high floor and sea view. None at moment.

MG units are 1050 sf, and that's tight. For me to live in, at a push, it's just do-able. But it's storage for all my stuff. But look round a few, then visit a 1600 sf unit like Straits Regency and do you notice the difference. Block G has 1120 sf units, bit bigger, bit better designed. Then there are 1600 sf units in the low- rise. No views though and none on market at mo. If there was such a thing a 1600 tower block unit at MG would be a no-brainer.

The downside to both is that they are not ideal AND have peaked price wise. So, if I'm going to compromise on location it may as well be for size, quality and profit. So I'm back to waiting for Q1 2012 and see what happens with my original purchase plan (planning delays), CNY property fairs and other new developments.

Unless of course I say stuff it again and accept the tight size of MG or find the right unit at Alila.