Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Positives & Negatives in Malaysia

Positives & Negatives in Malaysia

Old Oct 31st 2011, 4:18 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Positives & Negatives in Malaysia

I've shamelessly nicked this idea from the Mod in the Goa forum. (Noni, let me know your commission rate.)

+ Warm all year round
+ The great variety of delicious Malaysian dishes
+ Affordable living
+ The Malaysian people
+ Nice melting pot of expats from all round the world and different races
+ Great retirement visa programme
+ The scenery
+ The beaches of Langkawi
+ The lake gardens of Taiping
+ The dusky leaf monkeys
+ All the history in Georgetown Penang
+ No or few powercuts (at least in Penang)
+ Good expressways and road system
+ Penang International airport

- A bit too hot and humid sometimes
- Renovation noise in condo
- The Haze
- Georgetown traffic jams
- Price of wine
Old Oct 31st 2011, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

Cpt_Jack has a brilliant futureCpt_Jack has a brilliant futureCpt_Jack has a brilliant futureCpt_Jack has a brilliant futureCpt_Jack has a brilliant futureCpt_Jack has a brilliant futureCpt_Jack has a brilliant future
Default Re: Positives & Negatives in Malaysia

Agree with most of that. I'll add to the negatives my pet issue:

+ Those damn 'diplomatic convoys'

Not sure if you have these but they are irritating! I live next to the highway to the airport; at least twice a day there will be a convoy of black cars with police outriders, sirens blaring, as they take some minister, diplomat or royal to or from the airport. Since I'm next to the toll plaza, they have to slow and often get stuck in the traffic. Thankfully they stopped using the sirens during 'sleeping hours' for the most part. They also seem to get free reign on any road; often cutting through busy traffic, blocking intersections and adding to the general chaos.

I can also claim to have been 'woken by the Party Chairman of China' ;-) Just as I was having a nap one night, his mammoth convoy of 40 blacked out cars, armored trucks, ambulances and assorted police units blazed down the highway. It got stuck at the toll plaza and took a good 5 minutes plus to pass me...

Still, not many other complaints are there? Even the whether isn't bad, monsoon season now (condo has been hit by lightning a fair few times) and it's just something you accept. Two years in the sandpit made me very grateful for a spot of rain ;-) I can add a lot to the positives:

+ low crime rates and general high level of safety
+ decent and affordable healthcare (especially compared to the sandpit or even the UK)
+ affordable cost of living
+ plenty to do!
+ In the heart of Asia; most countries only a short plane ride away so lots of good holidays
+ KL; good sized city, not to big but not so small that it's got nothing to write home about
+ Petronas Towers; still think they are some of the most stunningly pretty buildings in the world and I lived in Dubai

Top of the list though just has to be people.

Jack
Old Oct 31st 2011, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Harlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud of

Expensive cars in terms of earning power against normal citizen wages.

Thats about it really. So overall is a very good country.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 1:16 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

-- Mostly love it but the really poor standard of driving is frustrating - not to mention dangerous!

-- Hate seeing children climbing around the inside of cars, untethered, while Mum or Dad is doing 100km on the motorway.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

joamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud of

positives...getting to live in such a lovely country
..............getting a great expat package combined with cheaper living and lower taxes means that only one of us has to work to support the family
negatives...being the one that workswhile out here
Old Nov 1st 2011, 3:53 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joamelie
negatives...being the one that workswhile out here
That's a bummer
Old Nov 1st 2011, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely love the weather. Rather have +30c than -30C.
Good for gardening almost all year round. Eventually when I get too senior I'll do balcony gardening I think. Don't have to bring my plants in to over winter. Orchids is so cheap here and easy to manage

Car repairs and servicing is very cheap by Canadian standard and the ones we went to have been very good, so no complaints. Oh, not to mention gas prices too is very favourable.

Don't like the drivers (cars and bikes) they just cut in from any directions. Pedestrians do the same and many walk at night in dark colored clothes with no 'reflectors'.

Don't like the public toilets, those in supermarkets and malls. Forever wet and stinky esp on weekends.
Those at the General Hosp of Penang are a disgrace. Dirty and filthy
Old Nov 1st 2011, 12:22 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by columbine
Definitely love the weather. Rather have +30c than -30C.
Good for gardening almost all year round. Eventually when I get too senior I'll do balcony gardening I think. Don't have to bring my plants in to over winter. Orchids is so cheap here and easy to manage

Car repairs and servicing is very cheap by Canadian standard and the ones we went to have been very good, so no complaints. Oh, not to mention gas prices too is very favourable.

Don't like the drivers (cars and bikes) they just cut in from any directions. Pedestrians do the same and many walk at night in dark colored clothes with no 'reflectors'.

Don't like the public toilets, those in supermarkets and malls. Forever wet and stinky esp on weekends.
Those at the General Hosp of Penang are a disgrace. Dirty and filthy
I think I am living 5 months in the wrong place !!! Sounds a wonderful place.

p.s. can you tell me why one of my orchids bud, shrivel up and the bud drops off?
Old Nov 1st 2011, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Cpt_Jack has a brilliant futureCpt_Jack has a brilliant futureCpt_Jack has a brilliant futureCpt_Jack has a brilliant futureCpt_Jack has a brilliant futureCpt_Jack has a brilliant futureCpt_Jack has a brilliant future

Car repairs and servicing is very cheap by Canadian standard and the ones we went to have been very good, so no complaints.
The car repairs are very good, unorthodox maybe but good. I think it is becuase cars are so relatively expensive people don't buy new so run their old ones into the ground. And really into the ground at that, I've seen some incredible 'cars' driving here. Still remember being in a cab where the driver had to 'crank' the engine every time it stopped to start it again. Having lived in Dubai for two years, where people used to buy a new car twice a year sometimes (seriously!) it's actually quite a relief to see this sort of resourcefulness.

I especially love when a car loses it's front or back end (in an accident for example) it's not written off. Someone just cuts the 'bad' end off and sticks it on to a 'good' end. Only time I've driven in two cars of two difference makes at once is here ;-)

Jack
Old Nov 1st 2011, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Harlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Cpt_Jack
The car repairs are very good, unorthodox maybe but good. I think it is becuase cars are so relatively expensive people don't buy new so run their old ones into the ground. And really into the ground at that, I've seen some incredible 'cars' driving here. Still remember being in a cab where the driver had to 'crank' the engine every time it stopped to start it again. Having lived in Dubai for two years, where people used to buy a new car twice a year sometimes (seriously!) it's actually quite a relief to see this sort of resourcefulness.

I especially love when a car loses it's front or back end (in an accident for example) it's not written off. Someone just cuts the 'bad' end off and sticks it on to a 'good' end. Only time I've driven in two cars of two difference makes at once is here ;-)

Jack
Some thing like this you meant.
Attached Thumbnails Positives & Negatives in Malaysia-url.jpeg  
Old Nov 1st 2011, 2:01 pm

Bloody hell. That looks bizarre. Agree about the car places Jack.

Noni, what are you doing with your orchids m'luv? Is that in Goa or UK?
Old Nov 1st 2011, 4:08 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Bloody hell. That looks bizarre. Agree about the car places Jack.

Noni, what are you doing with your orchids m'luv? Is that in Goa or UK?
UK
Old Nov 1st 2011, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute

A little diviation...
p.s. can you tell me why one of my orchids bud, shrivel up and the bud drops off?):

Hi Noni,
What type of orchid is that? Most require good ventilation and a sunny spot in the winter to prevent fungal attacks.
When the temp dips reduce watering or the orchid plant gets wet rot where leaves shrivel but are 'wet' and buds drop off - soft mushy feel.
One good watering once a wk to 2 wks is sufficient. Just fine spraying in between to keep leaves and stems moist. Frequencies depends on indoor temps.
On the other hand if the plant gets too dry, it shrivels and flower buds drop off - dry up, not soft mushy.
Hope this helps

Last edited by columbine; Nov 1st 2011 at 5:11 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 7:48 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
I've shamelessly nicked this idea from the Mod in the Goa forum. (Noni, let me know your commission rate.)

+ Warm all year round
+ The great variety of delicious Malaysian dishes
+ Affordable living
+ The Malaysian people
+ Nice melting pot of expats from all round the world and different races
+ Great retirement visa programme
+ The scenery
+ The beaches of Langkawi
+ The lake gardens of Taiping
+ The dusky leaf monkeys
+ All the history in Georgetown Penang
+ No or few powercuts (at least in Penang)
+ Good expressways and road system
+ Penang International airport

- A bit too hot and humid sometimes
- Renovation noise in condo
- The Haze
- Georgetown traffic jams
- Price of wine
Hey - what about my commission ? A large G n T in the C bar will do it Baked Bean -

I have to say you lucky lucky people who live in Malaysia, it sounds fabulous, and I think I may have to check it out in the near future.

What is the weather like between October and May?

Anyone want a lodger ??
(I am well trained honest)

Dread - x
Old Nov 4th 2011, 7:50 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

A little diviation...
p.s. can you tell me why one of my orchids bud, shrivel up and the bud drops off?):

Hi Noni,
What type of orchid is that? Most require good ventilation and a sunny spot in the winter to prevent fungal attacks.
When the temp dips reduce watering or the orchid plant gets wet rot where leaves shrivel but are 'wet' and buds drop off - soft mushy feel.
One good watering once a wk to 2 wks is sufficient. Just fine spraying in between to keep leaves and stems moist. Frequencies depends on indoor temps.
On the other hand if the plant gets too dry, it shrivels and flower buds drop off - dry up, not soft mushy.
Hope this helps
Thanks Columbine
I had the dried up buds - now I realise I need to spray the plant.
Once all the flowers have dropped off, can the plant be rescued?

Dread - x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.