Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Positives & Negatives in Malaysia

Positives & Negatives in Malaysia

Old Nov 5th 2011, 5:07 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Positives & Negatives in Malaysia

Hi dread. Weather depends which part of Malaysia. Generally speaking Penang and the west coast of peninsula gets good winter weather. East side of peninsula will get the northeast monsoon big time about mid Dec to Feb roughly.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 7:24 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Hi dread. Weather depends which part of Malaysia. Generally speaking Penang and the west coast of peninsula gets good winter weather. East side of peninsula will get the northeast monsoon big time about mid Dec to Feb roughly.
Thanks BB
When you say Penang gets good winter weather - what temperatures are we taking?
I usually lurk in Goa where it goes 80 degrees plus for most of the season, does Penang and the West coast get similar?

Dread - x
Old Nov 7th 2011, 6:13 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I've forgotten what Fahrenheit is hehe... Prob around 28 degrees + in winter but not quite as humid as other times of year. I imagine you don't get so humid weather in Goa?
Old Nov 8th 2011, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

TopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Cpt_Jack
I especially love when a car loses it's front or back end (in an accident for example) it's not written off. Someone just cuts the 'bad' end off and sticks it on to a 'good' end. Only time I've driven in two cars of two difference makes at once is here ;-)

Jack
omg............it's got to depend on how well the job was done. Usually when a car has been jigged it is never quite the same again and they have a tendency for 'crabbing'.

Would you be confident in the workmanship that the car could withstand a second impact and afford you the same level of safety that an undamaged car would?

In the UK it is known as 'cut & shut' and here is what Autotrader magazine have to say about it:

'Cut and shuts

A cut and shut is where the remains of two or more vehicles have been welded together to create a ‘new’ model.

The structural integrity of such vehicles is seriously compromised, and can lead to serious injuries in a crash.

• Examine the windscreen pillars and the middle section of the vehicle for signs of welding and pull away carpets and trims for signs of hidden welds
• Look for poor paintwork or colours that don’t match properly and check for overspray on glass seals and trim
• Watch out for badly fitting or mismatched trim
• A history check will highlight if it has been stolen or written-off – a cut and shut could be both'

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/advice/2...y/illegal-cars
Old Nov 11th 2011, 5:00 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Sorry I've forgotten what Fahrenheit is hehe... Prob around 28 degrees + in winter but not quite as humid as other times of year. I imagine you don't get so humid weather in Goa?

OOH My kind of weather - fancy a lodger ?!!
Goa is not so humid from November to about mid February, but then gets very humid for the remainder of season and during monsoon.

When I retire I am planning to do a few more places around Asia and Malaysia is one so apologies in advance I shall be back with more questions nearer the time now I know the weather suits me.

Also fancy trying Sri Lanka, Phillipines, Maldives, maybe a short trip to Thailand - as I will probably be a solo traveller I will need all the help and advice I can get.

Thanks hun

Dread - x
Old Nov 11th 2011, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by TopHattedCat
omg............it's got to depend on how well the job was done. Usually when a car has been jigged it is never quite the same again and they have a tendency for 'crabbing'.

Would you be confident in the workmanship that the car could withstand a second impact and afford you the same level of safety that an undamaged car would?

In the UK it is known as 'cut & shut' and here is what Autotrader magazine have to say about it:

'Cut and shuts

A cut and shut is where the remains of two or more vehicles have been welded together to create a ‘new’ model.

The structural integrity of such vehicles is seriously compromised, and can lead to serious injuries in a crash.

• Examine the windscreen pillars and the middle section of the vehicle for signs of welding and pull away carpets and trims for signs of hidden welds
• Look for poor paintwork or colours that don’t match properly and check for overspray on glass seals and trim
• Watch out for badly fitting or mismatched trim
• A history check will highlight if it has been stolen or written-off – a cut and shut could be both'

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/advice/2...y/illegal-cars
OOh eck - dangerous stuff.

Good advice there Tophattedcat

As a forensic examiner I would also advise anyone buying a new car to check a few other tell tale signs :

- measure the distances in mm of the gaps for both bonnet edges and tailgate/boot edges - if they are not identical it's had a prang
- Check under the bonnet and check the two arms which sit at an angle - many times they will be warped - a telltale sign of a prang - and if these are off make sure you get the engine mount checked before you buy.
- Run your hands accross the back paintwork below the boot or tailgate - make sure it is smooth - same on the area below the front grill and along the side lower seals
- Check chassis and engine numbers against the vehicle log book or equivalent - if applicable in said country
- If you can get it on a ramp and take a look underneath do so - often neglected when doing a cut and shut and shows giveaway marks
- See if there are any signs that numbers have been filed off the engine (depending on country as not sure every country has engine and chassis nos)

I have examined many rung cars and these are some of the common checks I start with - and there will usually be one or more present.

Dread - x
Old Nov 12th 2011, 8:05 am

Thanks Dread. Yup fire away with any questions re Malaysia or Thailand. I've lived in Thailand too. Well I've lived in Singapore too but you'll need a truckload of dosh to be able to afford Singapore and not particularly good visa either.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 2:40 pm

This may sound like a really stupid question but there is method in the madness !

How easy is it to get non spicy foods in Malaysia? Say if someone has an allergy to peppers/chilli etc. ?

Dread - x
Old Nov 18th 2011, 2:50 am

It's easy enough. Certainly in Penang there's a lot of Western and pseudo-Western outlets. We went "western" last night at a local restaurant. I had Chicken Parmigiani (very nice) and mr bb had Sausage and Mash :sunglasses:

At the foodcourts, if you want to eat local, you just need to learn which dishes are not spicy. Most people speak English at the foodstalls so you can ask them.

Dread, some of us MM2Hers meet up at a local foodcourt from time to time. We call them Makan Meetups. Makan just means Eat in Malay. If you ever visit Penang, let us know, and you can come along and get some instruction on the local dishes. A lot of dishes ARE spicy, but not all of them. There are some noodle dishes that are quite plain (non-spicy).

I think I need to revive the Penang Food thread What this space (forum).
Old Nov 18th 2011, 5:01 am

Thanks again BB

I will definitely be visiting when I retire, which could either be in the next few months, or in just over two years time.
That would be great to meet up with a group of folks - and even better to meet up with others and EAT. :sunglasses:

Dread - x
Old Nov 18th 2011, 8:05 am

That's great Dread. Okay.... we've started discussing non-spicy food in the Penang Food thread on here. It's 8 pages long, heh heh, that'll keep you busy, but if you just go to page 7 onwards, that should clue you in a little bit.