Penang food

Old Nov 14th 2012, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Penang food

I know there used to be a thread on this but restaurants open and close and the food can change for better or worse.
We'll be up in Penang again for 3 or 4 nights shortly and were wondering if there is anything food wise we shouldn't miss.

Our old favourite The Bagan has closed. Has it re opened elsewhere.
Anyway suggestions welcome from restaurants to foodcourts to stalls.

Thanks.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 5:59 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Penang food

I understood it was moving to the heart of Georgetown though I cannot find anything on a google search. Atilla is the man to ask I think, though he doesn't seem to be on here much these days.

Apart from foodcourts, our favourite haunts are No Eyed Deer in Fettes Park http://www.noeyeddeer.com/ Pang Hainan Seafood in Tanjung Bungah http://www.penangseafoodrestaurant.com/ and Blue Reef at Straits Quay. As far as I can see, Blue Reef doesn't have a website which I find rather strange. They do have a facebook page though.

If you haven't been to Straits Quay yet, do go and take a look. If you are here next week, the Selangor Raja Muda Regatta hits town and there will be boat races off Straits Quay.... and I do believe one of our regular posters on here will be taking part

If you're here on Tuesday 27th, there's a retired expat (MM2H) Makan night going on at Viva foodcourt in Tg Tokong 7pm. There's usually about 20 or so of us turn up, and you would be most welcome to join us We're usually somewhere in the middle of the foodcourt - just look out for a bunch of old farts Any retirees (or anyone really) are welcome.

Which part of the island are you staying in this time, exReg?
Old Nov 14th 2012, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, thanks and thanks.
We will be there on the 27 but unlikely to join you lot.

We'll probably stay at the Paradise we used to stay there regularly but haven't been up t0 Penang for nearly 3 years now.

The missus is still considering Phuket so not 100% Penang.

There was a thread on Phuket somewhere on here, found it, started by you a year ago.
I;ll let the missus have a look at that first.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 8:09 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex reg
We will be there on the 27 but unlikely to join you lot.
OK, no worries, but if you want to have a beer, just pop along. Slightly off topic, but the expat community here is somewhat different to the Singapore expat community in that a large number of folks (and I would estimate about 50percent of those who come to the Makans) are actually Malaysian born expats. How come? Well, a lot of folks here left Malaya/Malaysia to study abroad way back when, took citizenship of UK, Aus, Canada, wherever, then returned to retire with their spouses as MM2Hers in Malaysia. Not a lot of people know that

Anyways... Thinking about a Rogan Josh for tonight
Old Nov 15th 2012, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Ha, well if we can get visas in time then we are off to Hanoi now instead.
Penang after Christmas or vice versa if visas not possible.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 8:53 am

You'll make your mind up Enjoy, whatever you do.
Old Nov 18th 2012, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

akee is just really niceakee is just really niceakee is just really niceakee is just really niceakee is just really niceakee is just really niceakee is just really niceakee is just really nice

I'm a coffee shop guy as I find the best food there.

I suggest looking around Pulau Tikus.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 8:33 am

Any particular places to recommend, Akee? The problem I find with P Tikus is parking.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Any particular places to recommend, Akee? The problem I find with P Tikus is parking.
Buses are quite good now????
Old Nov 19th 2012, 12:11 pm

I'm allergic to buses
Old Nov 19th 2012, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

akee is just really niceakee is just really niceakee is just really niceakee is just really niceakee is just really niceakee is just really niceakee is just really niceakee is just really nice

Ok. Then try "good all" just opposite the penang chinese girl's high school. you can park outside new bob. i just went there just now for "hokkien mee"...
Old Nov 20th 2012, 1:37 am

We've got a Goodall foodcourt within spitting distance from our home in Tanjung Tokong. Also like Old City Foodcourt in Prima Tanjung in Fettes Park...nice sotong curry. Also like Viva Foodcourt in Tg Tokong next to Naza Hotel - great Char Kway Teow, Yong Tau Foo, Hokkien Mee, Prawn "omelette". Can also get some nice fresh stingray there - mr bakedbean's favourite - and a bowl of chips from the Western stall. Fish n Chips Penang style

So many great eateries around here...no need to drive far if you are living here.

But for those visiting? Akee, is the Goodall foodcourt near Newbob worth a bus ride/taxi ride for ExReg?
Old Nov 20th 2012, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bakedbean
We've got a Goodall foodcourt within spitting distance from our home in Tanjung Tokong. Also like Old City Foodcourt in Prima Tanjung in Fettes Park...nice sotong curry. Also like Viva Foodcourt in Tg Tokong next to Naza Hotel - great Char Kway Teow, Yong Tau Foo, Hokkien Mee, Prawn "omelette". Can also get some nice fresh stingray there - mr bakedbean's favourite - and a bowl of chips from the Western stall. Fish n Chips Penang style

So many great eateries around here...no need to drive far if you are living here.

But for those visiting? Akee, is the Goodall foodcourt near Newbob worth a bus ride/taxi ride for ExReg?
Might try some of those as the missus has decided on Penang after all the faffing about.

On another point, when driving around looking for restaurants last time or the time before we were there, I recall what looked to me like some nice places, and Penang does have some really nice places after refurbs, along a road parallel to Jalan Burma, iirc, would it be Jalan Irrawaddy????
Any good places to eat there?
Old Nov 20th 2012, 12:46 pm

Just found the road on my map in the heart of Georgetown. I rarely venture into Georgetown so cannot help you there. Maybe Akee can recommend some places.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

ThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud of

The Kapitan restaurant in Chulia street has an interesting claypot biriyani: http://www.what2seeonline.com/2008/0...street-penang/

I hear they have an outlet near Gurney hotel too.

Judging a restaurant from the views, I would select the following two in Penang:
1. Revolving restaurant at City Bayview hotel: http://www.bayviewhotels.com/georget...ae6068e#fadein

2. Bukit Genting restaurant which is not easy to find and you need a car with good tyres and brakes to get there (I was last there more than 5 years ago). The thai food is so-so only, but the view is great. Get there around 6 pm to catch the daytime and night-time views, and before the place gets too crowded.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Penan...68391873220150
http://al02.blogspot.com/2009/03/buk...ng-penang.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.