Penang food

Old Nov 21st 2012, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Penang food

Originally Posted by ThomasK
The Kapitan restaurant in Chulia street has an interesting claypot biriyani: http://www.what2seeonline.com/2008/0...street-penang/

I hear they have an outlet near Gurney hotel too.

Judging a restaurant from the views, I would select the following two in Penang:
1. Revolving restaurant at City Bayview hotel: http://www.bayviewhotels.com/georget...ae6068e#fadein

2. Bukit Genting restaurant which is not easy to find and you need a car with good tyres and brakes to get there (I was last there more than 5 years ago). The thai food is so-so only, but the view is great. Get there around 6 pm to catch the daytime and night-time views, and before the place gets too crowded.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Penan...68391873220150
http://al02.blogspot.com/2009/03/buk...ng-penang.html
I've seen the Bukit Genting restaurant suggested a few times elsewhere but not sure exactly how to get to it.
Is it a turn off from the road on the east side ie road 6 or a turn off from the west side ie road P239???
Old Nov 21st 2012, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

ThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud of

When I went several years ago, I took the Sultan Azlan Shah road which goes to the airport. I didn't take the exit to the airport but went on straight, through Bayan Lepas town and straight on. I believe there's a sign indicating the turn-off on the left when you eventually reach it. There was a huge water tank (I assumed it's water) visible on the right of the road.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ThomasK
When I went several years ago, I took the Sultan Azlan Shah road which goes to the airport. I didn't take the exit to the airport but went on straight, through Bayan Lepas town and straight on. I believe there's a sign indicating the turn-off on the left when you eventually reach it. There was a huge water tank (I assumed it's water) visible on the right of the road.
Thanks, it seems more popular advertised so hopefully there will be signposts.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

I see The Bagan has moved into the Macalister Mansions Hotel.
Anyone been there and tried the food.

Also what about 'That Little Wine Bar' . The food looks great there . Anyone tried that???
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 4:51 am
BE Forum Addict

We enjoyed last week in Penang, as usual.
But this time we tried a few new, to us at least, food outlets.

Pride of place must go to 'Little Kitchen and Nonya' at 170 Noordin St about 5 min walk from Komtar. We enjoyed the peranakan food there which is different from that which we are used to in Singapore and Malacca. Less coconut milk used. The owner is very friendly and chatted to us about his peranakan food how it is made, the ingredients and his mum and wife who cook it. He also as a hobby has a few places where he gets birds nest from and sells them. Willing to chat about that as well.
Only 22 covers but well recommended.

The Sea Pearl Kafe right in the north east corner of Tanjong Tokong does some nice salt baked prawns and BBQ'd crab. The location is not quite as good as The Crab Village which is 1.5km along the right hand side of the road from Paradise Hotel towards Fringee. Food in both places about the same.

The German restaurant in Jln Sungai Kelian off Jln Tanjong Bungah was OK but we wouldn't go again although Wednesdays have a 'special' of pork ribs.
The Bavarian Rest next door to it didn't have many customers and the steak grill just across the road had none so we didn't try those.

Kedai Kopi Sin Hwa, opposite the Police Station in Pulai Tikus does a very nice Char Kway Teow and not bad Penang assam laksa some other nice looking nasi campur , worth a visit.

When we were driving around we went to the Bukit Genting Restaurant and Leisure Park. Like many Malaysian places it was built from a great idea and when built would have been great but since has just been left to deteriorate.
Great to view the sunrise and sun set and all of Balik Pulau. The trees on the drive up were full of durians.

Driving along the P224 to the furthest south east point of Penang we passed a seafood restaurant right on the shore.
Unfortunately they didn't do lunch but we'll visit for dinner next time in Penang as they had some shell fish which they'd just caught which I've never seen before and want to try. Very friendly staff and the sea food in the tanks looked good.
Because they didn't do lunch we tried the Thai cooking place nearly next door. We had the Tom Yam soup which was good, plenty of ingredients.

Only one real disappointment was 'That Little Wine Bar' at 54 Jln Chow Thye just off Jln Burma. My missus emailed to book and check if they were still doing the pig's cheeks for when we had booked. When we got there they said they weren't doing thje pig's cheeks that night and hadn't been doing them for a week or so. We should have left there and then but as you lot up there know on Thursday night there was some heavy ujang ujang which was at its peak when we thought we would leave so we unfortunately we decided to stay.
I had the lamb rack and the missus had the fillet steak.
Well the lamb rack which was 4 ribs came off the biggest sheep in the world, in fact one rib would have been sufficient for me and it must have taken some cooking so that when it and the steak arrived the steak was overdone probably waiting for my rack to cook. The one inch of meat outside of the rack was ok but the inside 2.5 inches wasn't cooked at all. If it was a steak it would have been described as 'blue'.
A waiter then came around and asked 'how was your meal? I don't usually reply because it serves no purpose imo but because the waiter asked me twice I said the rack was surprisingly large and unfortunately undercooked but I'd be quite happy to chat to the chef/cook about it but no real problem. The waiter returned to tell me that the chef/cook had said that that was how they cook rack in the south of France. Having just returned this June from a 2 week visit to Provence and the Luberon and sampled rack of lamb twice in that time I wanted to disabuse him of his view but he didn't want to chat, maybe because he seemed to spend a lot of his time on the veranda smoking cigarettes.
But I wouldn't advise anyone to try That Little Wine bar. Might just have been an off night there but I don't think so.

We wanted to try the place The Bagan has moved to but we looked briefly and couldn't find it. We always used to go to the Bagan so will try it next time.

BTW the Rasa Sayang does a 2 for 1 deal on their International Buffet on Monday and Tuesday nights. We tried to book but they were full. Another place we'll try next time.

Last edited by ex reg; Dec 3rd 2012 at 5:01 am.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 8:59 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

ExReg. So how many kilos in weight have you put on? hehe.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bakedbean
ExReg. So how many kilos in weight have you put on? hehe.
Ha.
I was back down the gym today but couldn't force myself to get on the scales.
I'll wait until next week to try that.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 11:43 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

The German restoran you mentioned, was that Ingolffs Kneipe? Very popular place... I guess as pork not served everywhere. We tried to book a table a couple of times with no luck.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Scrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really nice

Can highly recommend the German restaurant, excellent food!

Also the Roadhouse Grill restaurant down the road is very good too. We used to go there when they were based just off Gurney Drive. They moved to this new location back in May.