Penang Food

Old Apr 28th 2011, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

Scrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really nice
Default Re: Penang Food

Hubby and I have been to the Ferringhi Garden twice after it was recommended to us. Yes, it is dearer than you would normally pay in most places here but it's a lovely place to go for a special occasion.

Lovely atmosphere and food is amazing! Although, the mosque next door is rather loud but it doesn't spoil a nice meal out.

Sarah.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

TopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud of

@ baked bean,

Thanks for the tip about the Lamb shank at the Blue Reef

Yes, I can walk to Queensbay from where I am living. The No Eyed Deer may not be that far considering I'm off to Selangor either next week or the week after just to dine at some of their restaurants
Old Apr 28th 2011, 8:16 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I've noticed that quite a few folks here will drive a long way to a restaurant. We always stick fairly close to home though has more to do with how much we have glugged
Old Apr 28th 2011, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Scrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really nice

Yes, we are the same most nights as Hubby works in Kulim so doesn't get home til about 7.

We just walk round the corner from our apartment to a nice cheap Indian place (amazing food!) - opposite Gurney Beach Resort - or have a stroll down Gurney to one of the many food places there.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 8:36 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Is that Indian place called Captain or Kapitan or something like that?
Old Apr 28th 2011, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

Yes Kapitan I think it's called.

We go there probably 3 times a week as very handy to our apartment and excellent food.

The Cowboy place next door is good to go to every now and again - more expensive but also does very good food.

Last edited by Scrasey2; Apr 28th 2011 at 8:41 am.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

TopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud of

Ive never ate at the Gurney Kapitan but Im always in the one at Queensbay or Chulia Street (the menus are the same I believe).

I have found the Chicken Tikka Masala is superb there, as is the chicken madras, tandoori dishes & their naans.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

I haven't ate anything in there I didn't like - nice choice and all tastes yummy!

If only the staff would be a bit more cheerful......... Oh well, can't it have it all I suppose!!

I didn't realise there was one in Queensbay - I will have to look out for that next time.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 9:01 am

Got friends who regularly go to Kapitan in Gurney. Like you, they live nearby. Maybe you're neighbours heh heh.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

@ Scrasey2, it is not actually inside the shopping mall. If you look across the road from the Queensbay Mall entrance where TGI Fridays & Station 1 Cafe are located there are some shoplots and Kapitan is located there. It is open 24/7.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Ok, great thanks! I will definitely go there next time I'm at Queensbay.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 9:37 am

Default Re: Penang Food - Jackfruit and Sappodilla

Can anyone tell me what's with the orange coloured jackfruit. They always used to be yellow when I bought it in Thailand and Singapore. Is this a different kinda jackfruit?

And another thing..... what do you call what I call sappodilla here? It looks like gone off pear, brownish, but tastes like caramel. At least the good ones do.
Old May 5th 2011, 9:42 am

Default Re: Penang Food - Viva foodcourt Tg Bungah

I guess I've stumped everyone on the jackfruits and sappodillas

On a completely different subject, we had a little retirees' makan evening the other night at Viva foodcourt, and it was good fun. Boy... retirees can really drink some beer but of course we don't have to go to work the next day

I was a bit miffed though that some of the regular stalls (Hokkien Mee, Yong Tau Foo, Loh Bak) were not open. And the Char Kway Teow stall seems to have changed hands.

A friend of mine mentioned that he also noticed that a lot of changes are going on. Does anyone know what's going on there?
Old May 5th 2011, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

Isn't sapodilla 'ciku'? Jack/f IIRC just varies dependant on soil structure and I believe the same fruit can grow orange or yellow. Down to acidity etc AFAIK.

Not doing too much forums at mo. Bit pushed. Trying to extend another week
Old May 6th 2011, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

May be ciku...oh so sweet I can't take too much...and I don't eat durian unless the seed removed, battered and fried like a fritter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.