Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

OMG.......I am showing my age.....who

OMG.......I am showing my age.....who

Old Dec 19th 2010, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

redbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant future
Default OMG.......I am showing my age.....who

remembers "The Doors" .........Light my fire and "The Animals" with my all time favourite hit "House of the rising sun"??!!!

I was recently invited by ms redbean to a U2 concert and embarrasingly for me, asked her if this band is any good. Well! you should have heard her reaction. In my defence I have heard of Bono but did not know that Bono is the lead singer of U2.

Well, I sort of know but must have forgotten...........temporary amnesia.....I called it.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 1:24 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OMG.......I am showing my age.....who

Heh heh. We don't seem to get many decent bands coming to south east Asia unfortunately. Singapore gets some sometimes. The Mosaic Jazz Festival at the Esplanade in Singapore attracts some good names - must look that up for next year. It's a pity.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

I refuse to go to stuff in Singapore these days.
The price they charge is way way exorbitant. It's worse than a joke.
And usually all the best seats have gone before they are put on public sale.
When the IRB 7s were here I wanted to go and take the missus except the price was silly.
I wrote to the papers about it.
Nothing changed. No one went and a year or so later the IRB stopped holding the 7's in Singapore because of lack of interest. It wasn't lack of interest it was the stupid pricing.
In fact the year I wrote to the papers we decided to go to the IRB 7s in KL.
We went spent two night there, bought tickets and the wife did some shopping the first day and we still had change from what it would have cost us to buy two tickets for the Singapore event.

Recently the Berlin Philharmonier were in town. The top price was iirc S$688
That's about 400 euros. The max a ticket costs in Berlin is 65 euro.
I understand the cost of air tickets and cargo etc are involved but the sponsors usually pay for that. The mark up is a joke.
It was sold out. There is too much money available in Singapore so these event organisers take the opportunity to makes loadsamoney.

Not from me they don't not anymore.
When I first started attending Singapore Symphony Concerts the price was S$3 to S$10 for the best seats. These days the price is S$50 to S$ 200 for a normal concert. Yes there is a new concert hall and the orchestra are 'better' and everything is more expensive but the 'average' concert is no longer a sell out.

I know I'm ranting so I'll stop.

A few weeks ago I saw a painting I liked in Malaysia.
It was priced at less than S$300. I couldn't get it in the car what with the family etc.
We'll go ourselves in a few weeks and buy it there then.
But the artist said there is a shop in Singapore selling his work.
So last week end we went along to look.
Similar Paintings by the same artist were being sold for over S$3000.
I didn't ask but I'd bet there is no way the artist will be getting even the amount he sells the paintings for in Malaysia.

Same with the sale here of furniture from Indonesia and China.

And still expats and rich locals pile in like there is no tomorrow.

Did I say I'll stop ranting???
Old Dec 20th 2010, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

redbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant future

IRB IRB 7s

I googled both and came up with International Rugby Board and IRB seven world series.

The most expensive seat for U2 is AUD 300 and the cheapest $100. I wouldn't have gone but Mr redbean, bless his heart managed to get 4 free tickets for Ms redbean but he gave it to her only on the proviso that I get invited to the concert. He must have felt guilty because I recently whinged to him about not getting free tickets to a couple of concerts.
Old Dec 25th 2010, 6:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

NOT KNOW IRB and IRB&'s. Strewth Sheila and ya live in Oz? OK the flightless birds may be a bit luckier of late...but not know the game played in heaven...crikey
Old Dec 31st 2010, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

I am in love with The Who...........have you heard "Won't get fooled again"?

Man, they are the best.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 2:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

You old rocker -you!!
Old Jan 4th 2011, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Strider24
You old rocker -you!!
Too right. Just heard "Ain't no sunshine when she's gone" by Freddie King, Jose Feliciano and Michael Jackson when he was a teenybooer and damn, I think Freddie King is the best.......love his interpretation of the song.

As for BB King, well.....words failed me.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 6:12 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I liked the Bill Withers version myself. Geez... dunno what this has got to do with Malaysia though
Old Jan 4th 2011, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bakedbean
I liked the Bill Withers version myself. Geez... dunno what this has got to do with Malaysia though
Surely Malaysians love to rock and hear the blues too!
Old Jan 15th 2011, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Yeah I'm dated as well. Currently listening to 3 hours of Pink Floyd. A band that came out of the ark, always been there, but how many can quote the names of the individuals in the Group? Doesn't matter, the music genre is modern classic..Noo?