Cost of living in KL

Old Dec 13th 2010, 3:51 am
Yve
Forum Regular

Yve is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of living in KL

Can anyone enlighten us on whether KL is cheaper than London and how much you'd need to earn in GBP per year. Thanks
Old Dec 13th 2010, 8:39 am
Just Joined

twarea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of living in KL

Originally Posted by Yve
Can anyone enlighten us on whether KL is cheaper than London and how much you'd need to earn in GBP per year. Thanks
Oh yes KL is so much cheaper than London. It all depends on how you live.... if you are used to eating at the Conservatory and Harvey Nick's on a daily basis then you will find you can east in a similar fashion here for less than half the price even if you do add the extortionate prices of alcoholic drinks.
You can also eat very well for around 10GBP and less depending on where you go.

I find accommodation slightly cheaper than London, but properties vary from huge mansions with maids quarters (I'm not sure how many of these there are in London) to simple apartments downtown. It all depends what you are comparing.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 5:05 pm
Yve
Forum Regular

Yve is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, any ideas on what the average wage is for an average lifestyle?
Old Dec 13th 2010, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

twarea is an unknown quantity at this point

Again this depends on your point of view......

Average expat wages are probably around 2000GBP per month.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 8:52 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

If you get a car, you'll do well with the petrol. Currently a third of the price of UK petrol.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

mnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bakedbean
If you get a car, you'll do well with the petrol. Currently a third of the price of UK petrol.
Shame the car costs 3x that of a car in the UK!
Old Jan 4th 2011, 8:52 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it is a shame. We are on MM2H visa so got one car tax-free which helps a bit.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

Thought I would revisit this one. If you were to buy a Proton Gen2 AT top of the line, or Persona AT again top line, the price drive away in UK (their web site) is PDS 11995 (or RM 58150 equivalent) for either one. Thats not far off the local price of RM60488 for the Gen 2 or RM59409 for the Persona.

Granted imported cars are much higher, but even then its more a case of what the market can bear it. An example was the Perodua Nautica launched in 2008 and already you can't find one as the identical joint venture Toyota/Diahatsu, Toyota Rush completly outsold the Nautica and at a very much higher price. Go figure.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Off the subject of KL but in Singapore you have to first fork out GBP 30,000 + to buy a Certificate of Entitlement prior to being allowed to buy a car.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 6:41 am

Yup Singapore verrry expensive for cars. Is it still the most expensive in the World?

Hey guys, how about starting up a Cost of Cars topic? Or have I got to start one up? But I know nuffink about cars much.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Cars-tall stories and true

First time I have tried to initiate a new topic so here goes.

Went to buy a new tyre today.. I should explain. My 2 front tyres were almost down to the min. wear notches. Rear tyres 80% and spare 100%. So I wanted the best worn one for the boot, use the spare and get a twin for it. Made sense to me at any rate. Tyre guys (Chinese) persuades my wife (Chinese) that stupid round eyed red headed devil knowns sweet B.A....and simply must have 2 new matching tyres as the spare no good...its a bit old...had dust on it. But do a really super deal.

Got 2 new tyres and the spare is still a spare.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Nup that didn't work. Bakedbean, you better clean it up for me into a new topic.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 1:47 am

Bloody hell, I'll have to get the Concierge manual out, heh heh. I'm not actually sure I can split topics. In theory, I can move them and re-name I think. I'll have a look later on.

Oh be a love Strider and just start a new thread. Go to the Malaysia sub-forum menu, top left hand side there is a blue button Start New Thread (or summink like that)
Old Jan 16th 2011, 4:10 am
BE Enthusiast

OK. I think I got it this time