Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Offer to work in KL: Cost of Living

Offer to work in KL: Cost of Living

Old Jan 20th 2012, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Harlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud of
Default Re: Offer to work in KL: Cost of Living

Originally Posted by ex reg
bb where did you pay that.

Locally I'd pay S$2.5.
Even in that tourist trap of Newton Circus I'd only pay S$4.

Don't tell me you eat mee goreng in a top class hotel
Thanks for the info ex reg.

Probably need a bit of advise from you, I'll buy you a drink when we arrive SG in April.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Harlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by UK_Guy
Huge thanks for all the updates in advice!

Bakedbean -- I think I'll need the cost difference to be more like 3 to 1, not 2 to 1 to justify the move. I know very well the cost of living in Sin, and I've based 15k being reasonable on an understanding that Singapore is far more than twice the cost of KL.

Aprilgirl -- I would also encourage any advice to be given in consideration that UK expats don't work overseas to 'survive.' In terms of cost of living and expectations, there is a massive difference between western professionals and a regional non-professiona worker (for example) who moves to Malaysia to serve tables (again, for example). If all I will do on a gross salary of 15k (net, 12k-ish) is survive, then, perhaps, it would be prudent for me to consider other options.

My point is that if I am unable to 'flourish' on RM15k, then it's not the right move for a UK expat.

'Survive' does make me think that 15k will be a struggle and I'm accustomed to earning good salaries overseas that allow me to do what I want and live where I want.

Maybe I'm misreading all of this -- if I am, I'd love someone to set me straight!

ianinmalaysia -- very interesting. Sounds like RM 20k may be the minimum to have a comfortable standard of living after reading that.
RM15k a month is a lot by local standard. Thats close to local director level. Trust me you will have a very comfortable live in KL compare to the UK. My wife & I are on that salary at the moment in London, and we are struggle as hell in the UK.

You are a single young geezer with a good wages in KL. Obviously you cant expect to drive around in a Porsch & live in a masion. Thats a new level.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

UK_Guy is an unknown quantity at this point

Two things confuse me.

You sound like you've lived in Singapore. If so then shewerlee you have a good idea of the c o l in Malaysia? You must have had a few trips over the border.

Second if you are used to earning good salaries overseas then how come you have such a low salary in Malaysia?Have I got the wrong end of the stick???
Unusual for me.
Slightly the wrong end of the stick, but you raise a couple of important questions.

1. Never 'lived' in Singapore, and so have never been over the border on trips. Also, despite having never been over the border, I would have thought cost of living would be far less in KL? By the way, even if I had lived in Sin, my understanding is that very many Singapore-based expats have never been over the border into Malaysia, and having only been there on business trips and short breaks myself, I only have that and what my friends who are based in Singapore report back. I do know from my visits to Sin that prices are very high -- particularly for rent.

2. Regarding your second point/question, I genuinely thought, in relative terms, this may have been a good salary in Malaysia, propotionate to the cost of living? On that basis I hadn't previously considered it a "low" salary, but that is what you have coined it in your question, leaving me feeling a little concerned.

Speaking to a couple of friends that have lived in KL, there seems to be a massive difference in opinion, with many saying the average for a professional is 6k, so I'll live like a king on more than double that, and others saying it will be torture on that salary. As is often the case, I guess it mainly comes down to lifestyle choices.

Last edited by UK_Guy; Jan 20th 2012 at 3:38 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by aprilgirl1234
Yeah, why UK guy want to work in malaysia?
Because Malaysia presents some new and interesting challenges for me, and I love SE Asia. BU, (and it;s a big but), I obviously need to be able to have a reasonable quality of life, or the move (like with any move) won't be sustainable in the long term.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Harlow Lad
RM15k a month is a lot by local standard. Thats close to local director level. Trust me you will have a very comfortable live in KL compare to the UK. My wife & I are on that salary at the moment in London, and we are struggle as hell in the UK.

You are a single young geezer with a good wages in KL. Obviously you cant expect to drive around in a Porsch & live in a masion. Thats a new level.
Thanks for your thoughts. I guess when you consider the salary in light of my status as a young single man and the cost of living for KL, it doesn't sound so bad. The porche and mansion I could happily pass on, but a reasonable 1-2 bedroom apartment and being able to go to bars once a week and eat well are important to me. The occasional (4 times a year) regional short-break to places like Vietnam, Indonesia and Thailand would also be good if the buget stretches that far.

I'm pretty adaptable -- the only way in which I would regret or resent the move is if it turned out to be more of a hardship posting, whereby I wouldn't be able to enjoy my life away from the office. I think this goes for most people who work abroad.

Last edited by UK_Guy; Jan 20th 2012 at 3:55 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your thoughts. I guess when you consider the salary in light of my status as a young single man and the cost of living for KL, it doesn't sound so bad. The porche and mansion I could happily pass on, but a reasonable 1-2 bedroom apartment and being able to go to bars once a week and eat well are important to me. The occasional (4 times a year) regional short-break to places like Vietnam, Indonesia and Thailand would also be good if the buget stretches that far.

I'm pretty adaptable -- the only way in which I would regret or resent the move is if it turned out to be more of a hardship posting, whereby I wouldn't be able to enjoy my life away from the office. I think this goes for most people who work abroad.
I can assured you that you can do all that. I think living in KL biggest factor is where you rent your place. 1-2 bedroom apartment shouldnt be a problem as long as you not expecting a swanky penthouse. And most importantly food. Yes you can eat very very well, they so cheap you probably order them twice.

You are luck because Malaysia have Air Asia now. So 4 times a year Asia exploration is a feasible idea. I'm planning to do the same when I'm in Singapore, look forward to Thailand, India, China, etc.

Well working life more or less the same every where.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

ianinmalaysia has a brilliant futureianinmalaysia has a brilliant futureianinmalaysia has a brilliant futureianinmalaysia has a brilliant futureianinmalaysia has a brilliant futureianinmalaysia has a brilliant futureianinmalaysia has a brilliant future

Baked bean............10SGD for mee goreng????? where you in the Fullerton lah??

average price for MG in sing i would put at 3.50Sgd (max) I had a meal with my wife in a Japanese retaurant in KLCC last week, very ordinary food, no alchohol and the bill came too 240MYR (98sgd) I know at least 2 Japanese places in Sing where you can 'eat all you want' for 30sgd each, so really the price is very similar.The point im trying to make is that KL is not as cheap as a lot of folks think and if its a cheap lifstyle peole want this is no longer the place.........Peens, Vietnam and Thailand are way way cheaper.....for everything!!

Cheers
Old Jan 21st 2012, 6:05 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

bb where did you pay that.

Locally I'd pay S$2.5.
Even in that tourist trap of Newton Circus I'd only pay S$4.

Don't tell me you eat mee goreng in a top class hotel
No, cheap hotel in Tiong Bahru. But the Prata place across the road is selling at 9 dollars I believe** I'm talking about a plateful - not the small portions you get in some foodcourts.

** Note; If you're wondering why I didn't go for the 9 bucks one, the Prata place is not licensed, and I sure as hell needed a large drink last night.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
No, cheap hotel in Tiong Bahru. But the Prata place across the road is selling at 9 dollars I believe** I'm talking about a plateful - not the small portions you get in some foodcourts.

** Note; If you're wondering why I didn't go for the 9 bucks one, the Prata place is not licensed, and I sure as hell needed a large drink last night.
What and you've got all Tiong Bahru market stalls which are very good and all the coffee shops and good value restaurants around the market area itself to choose from.
Lots of beer stalls around and good mee etc.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 8:58 am
Just Joined

aprilgirl1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Because Malaysia presents some new and interesting challenges for me, and I love SE Asia. BU, (and it;s a big but), I obviously need to be able to have a reasonable quality of life, or the move (like with any move) won't be sustainable in the long term.
If UK guy thinks that this offered would be a new challenge for you and salary also reasonable...you can try and see...Never Try Never Knows..
Old Jan 21st 2012, 10:32 am
Just Joined

Although there has been a bit of sidetracking on the subkect of Mee Goereng (lol), it seems that the general consensus is that 15k is do-able for a bachelor. The only difference seems to be that some contributors feel it's very do-able, whereas others feel one would only 'survive' on 15k. Perhaps the only way to find out how comfortable that salary is, would be to go ahead and find out.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 10:36 am
Just Joined

aprilgirl1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Although there has been a bit of sidetracking on the subkect of Mee Goereng (lol), it seems that the general consensus is that 15k is do-able for a bachelor. The only difference seems to be that some contributors feel it's very do-able, whereas others feel one would only 'survive' on 15k. Perhaps the only way to find out how comfortable that salary is, would be to go ahead and find out.
Yeah....ALl the Best to you!!!New Year New move....Dont worry
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 12:04 am
Just Joined

My understanding is that exreg, bakedbean and ianinmalaysia all feel the same that it's worth giving a go. :-)
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 8:10 am
Just Joined

KennethJ is an unknown quantity at this point

As Mark Twain once said, "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do."

You are young enough to move on should it not work out.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

martinmac is an unknown quantity at this point

UK GUY - i am in the same boat as you. I am 27 and looking to relocate to KL. I however work offshore in UK working month on month off. I wish to spend my time off in KL but i am having problems with VISA's. Apparently you need a VISA to rent condo/open bank account etc. My company are looking at possibly applying for a VISA for me as they have a office in KL so keeping my fingers crossed. Hope all works out for you in the end and if we both end up reloacting i will join you for a beer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.