Reload this Page >

Offer to work in KL: Cost of Living

Offer to work in KL: Cost of Living

Old Dec 16th 2011, 12:30 am
Just Joined

UK_Guy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Offer to work in KL: Cost of Living

Hi Everyone,

I've just joined this forum and this is my first post.

Would really appreciate some advice from anyone with living experience in KL on the cost of living for a UK bachelor?

I've been made an offer of employment to work in KL (Seputeh), and, despite having worked in other Asian cities, I'm not fully up to speed with the cost of living here. I've done a bit of research and it seems that views differ enormously on how much is enough to live in KL. :ranger:

The offer is: MR 15,000 (gross), inc' relocation allowance (flight etc), first month in a hotel while I arrange more permanent accommodation, a couple of flights home a year, full health cover, phone bill covered, and that's about it.

A bit about me: I'm in my late 20s, single (no wife, kids or any other dependents), I love eating local food, would be happy in a one-bed, basic condo after the first month and do not expect to use transport to get to and from work, as I'll be renting closeby. I do like going to bars/clubs, but only once a week, so shouldn't be too much of a hit if I'm sensible with that.

I guess my net salary would work out at around MR 11,500 after taxes.

Any advice as to whether this is a sustainable salary for a young-ish UK bachelor whose outgoings will only include rent and the usual day-to-day expenses would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Offer to work in KL: Cost of Living

Haven't lived in KL but I'd say you could do it easily.

OK you might not save a great deal but you'll be OK.
Although I don't fully understand 'MR 15,000 (gross), inc' relocation allowance (flight etc),'.

Mind you it's not a great salary and I suppose it might be called 'local conditions'.

Last edited by ex reg; Dec 16th 2011 at 4:39 am.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 8:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ex reg
Haven't lived in KL but I'd say you could do it easily.

OK you might not save a great deal but you'll be OK.
Although I don't fully understand 'MR 15,000 (gross), inc' relocation allowance (flight etc),'.

Mind you it's not a great salary and I suppose it might be called 'local conditions'.
Thanks for this. That's a bit worrying since I'll be getting paid well above the going rate for an expat for that line of work.

MR 15,000 is the salary a month, gross means without taxes and inc relocation allowance means they're paying for me and my belongings to be flown over.

Does anyone have any other thoughts on that package? I thought I was getting quite a good deal for KL.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 10:54 am
Just Joined

Anyone out there with any thoughts on that salary for a bachelor? Will be taking any advice very seriously. Thanks.

Last edited by UK_Guy; Dec 16th 2011 at 11:23 am.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 12:00 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not really qualified to answer but i just read this out to mr bb and he said Well that's gbp 60k. Is that a good salary? Sure Malaysia cheap but I think KL accom quite expensive isn't it? Anyone?

Last edited by bakedbean; Dec 16th 2011 at 12:04 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

Anyone?
Old Dec 17th 2011, 12:25 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I only have COL figues for a young family of four so not partic relevant to you. Have you taken a look at any property websites to get a feel for rents? There are a few about such as iproperty.com.my. Try and live in Sepetuh where will you will be working to cut down on travel costs. Electricity prob wont cost yiu more than 200rm per month, water negligible, phone/internet around 150rm for unifi voip service, astro/cable tv 70rm. Shame your rent isnt covered, most expats I know here have that included in their package. The biggest expense outside of this is food (for us anyway). Sure you can eat hawker stuff which is cheap and tasty, but a lot of it isnt particularly healthy...
Old Dec 17th 2011, 12:38 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

In short, I think you will be ok on that salary, you'll probaby even get to save something each month
Old Dec 17th 2011, 12:45 am
Just Joined

RobbieD is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Difficult to give you a definite answer - it depends on your line of business more than anything as to whether you have got a good deal. At RM15k you are getting a very good salary within the local market (and KL is a pretty developed city) but not something which would be considered a top expat package - mind you these are not easy to come by anymore.

You can easily live a good lifestyle with this and save a bit if you wanted to - depends on lifestyle. Eating out (local food), petrol, utilities relatively cheap comp to UK. Main expense accomodation - seputeh i am sure you could get a decent one-bed condo with facilities for less than RM3k (this is a bit of a guess i'm afraid but you could certainly find something which to me would be fine at this cost). Alcohol more expensive - say rm10-15 per glass of beer.

KL is a great city for a western bachelor and that is worth a few bonus points - it depends on your options i suppose!
Old Dec 17th 2011, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
I'm not really qualified to answer but i just read this out to mr bb and he said Well that's gbp 60k. Is that a good salary? Sure Malaysia cheap but I think KL accom quite expensive isn't it? Anyone?

Mr bb good at maths is he?

Or is it my bad, just so's you don't think I'm having a go Mrs.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 7:58 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex reg

Mr bb good at maths is he?

Or is it my bad, just so's you don't think I'm having a go Mrs.
Oops.... 15000 ringgits is 3000 quid. Geez I've really got to stop posting when i'm pished Sorry about that.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

It can cost a fortune or it can cost very little, depending on lifestyle. I don't really know Seputeh areas well as we have a place way out the north side. However IF you get meat, veg, fruit, eggs etc at a morning market and/or go to food courts with their large range of basic foods for eat out meals, it will cost peanuts. Maybe MR100 a week fruit and veg and eat out typical dish ranges from MR3.50-8.00. (Bak Kut Teh a bit more) Most morning markets also have food courts with very inexpensive wholesome food for breakfast. Hong Kong style Yum Cha is better in Sydney than anywhere in Malaysia (more Honkers there) as you need real HK cooks to make the real thing.

Tesco, Giant, Econsave, Carrefour are good for packaged goods. Jusco, Cold storage and boutique malls are higher priced for the same thing.

If you don't spend hours in the shower, water about MR10 pm and as we use no AC and cook with gas, our electricity is rarely over MR30 pm. Public transport is cheap but not always reliable. KL is not the place to have a decent car, so I advise an old cranky Proton Saga or a park anywhere Kencil/Viva. Registration for small cars like that range from MR40-500 pa, fuel 95 octane MR1.90 a lit. and small car consumption between 6-7 lit per 100km.

Nightclubs are going to fleece you big time, but the trusty food courts typically have cold beer at MR12-14 a "long neck".

Can't/won't comment on salary package other than to say, in my day(you can tell I have been retired some time) a Club membership was always included....so was a car and driver and all that rubbish, but that's only for big wig's and those who think they are big, like embassy staff these days I gather.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 12:29 pm

Great down to earth info Strider. I would send you some karma but I'm on my Pod and karma button doesn't seem to work
Old Dec 17th 2011, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

I just wanted to thank everyone who has taken the time to comment. I'm extremely grateful for all the feedback, which I've very much taken on board. Please keep posting if anyone else has anything to add. I guess, naiively, I had thought 15k would be a very good package in KL. Seems I'll need to spend wisely to make it work. I guess another option is to share accommodation -- that would massively reduce my rental costs to around MR 1,500 (or less), leaving me with around RM 10k of disposable income after all taxes are paid. Food for thought...
Old Dec 17th 2011, 1:28 pm

Sorry about the exch rate blooper all the best with your decisions. One thing to say, in these uncertain times with job shortages worldwide , Malaysia not a bad Place to be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.