Not in the Top 10

Old Nov 16th 2012, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Not in the Top 10

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...re-abroad.html

Thailand at 7.
Old Nov 16th 2012, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not in the Top 10

That was an interesting read. 27,000 British people living in Barbados?! I'm totally out of touch with what's going on in the world!
Old Nov 16th 2012, 7:39 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

I think the article seems to be misrepresenting the stats somewhat. Australia might have 1.3 mill expats but the vast majority of them come on skilled migrant visa's. To have any hope of retiring there you will need to pay a bond of $750k, transfer assets of at least $750k and have a guaranteed yearly income stream of at least $65k.
Old Nov 16th 2012, 8:36 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I always like reading these things (thanks ExReg for posting) but take it all with a pinch of salt. For a start off, who the hell is the insurance company who's researched? How did they research?

1. Malta (It's boring. I've heard that from expats. My ageing Aunty who does very little also said it's boring)
2. Portugal - almost bankrupt.
3. Spain - almost bankrupt.

5. USA - you cannot retire there as a Brit. So what are they talking about?
6. Australia - very difficult to retire there, unless you have close relatives to sponsor. And bloody expensive these days I hear.

8. Jamaica - I thought that had a high crime rate??

10. Greece - almost bankrupt.

Anyway, let's not let on about Malaysia. Let's keep it quiet eh?

And what about the Philippines - great retirement visa. What about Panama - supposed to be one of the best retirement schemes in the world. Uurgh it's all a load of tosh IMO.
Old Nov 16th 2012, 9:02 am
ajw

ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

Here's another list and Malaysia makes the cut. They are quite fun to read:

http://money.msn.com/retirement-plan...entid=26731158

Colombia could be an interesting choice for the intrepid retiree!
Old Nov 17th 2012, 3:11 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

That one seems to be geared for Americans eh. I think some countries perhaps perceived to be a bit dodgy can be OK if you know where to go. My OH did some work in Colombia many years ago, just a trip of a few weeks, and he absolutely loved it there... great fun. You need Spanish though, don't you.

When I lived in Thailand, I was corresponding with a lady also in Phuket and also fed up with Phuket. I ended up in Malaysia of course. She and her husband went to Mexico.... quite a journey. I got an email from her the other day and she's still loving it there and very happy and settled - been there about 4 or 5 years.

What amazes me is how so many expats still move around during retirement, trying out different places, much like they did during working expat life. I guess we are all nomads.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

ThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud of

Are places that are almost bankrupt good for retirement? The locals would value the hard currency. Of course, money should be brought into the country in small amounts just in case the currency becomes almost valueless.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 2:14 am
ajw

Not if you value things like investment in infrastructure, healthcare and political and social stability.