Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

My Malaysia/Penang 'Blog'

My Malaysia/Penang 'Blog'

Old Apr 25th 2011, 1:24 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Malaysia/Penang 'Blog'

Originally Posted by TopHattedCat

I am presuming by this it should be in the signature & not the actual post like I have done here
I've added the link to your signature for you. It will start showing up in your future posts.

You can find details of how to amend your signature here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/faq.p...vb_sig_explain

Also if you haven't done so already it would be appreciated if you read through our site posting rules so that you will be familiar with what is, and is not allowed.

Oh and welcome to BE. Happy to have you onboard.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

Hey Tophattedcat,

Your site is by far the best I have ever seen on Malaysia....and I say that after only reading a fraction of this very large site. I have friends coming over for 3 weeks and is their first time to Malaysia. I'm sending them the link so that they get a better idea and possibly find some places they "must see"

Well done
Old Apr 26th 2011, 1:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

Cracking site TopHattedCat Added a link to it from my Blog.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 8:38 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

That's a great site TopHatCat

Atilla, I'm surprised you've got time to post at the moment
Old Apr 27th 2011, 8:53 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

oh crumbs just realised I'm in the wrong thread again hehe. I'll see if I can shift my one to the Penang Food thread. Atilla, Ex-Reg, do you want me to shift your last 2 postings in there too? (assuming I can remember how to do it )
Old Apr 27th 2011, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

Originally Posted by bakedbean
oh crumbs just realised I'm in the wrong thread again hehe. I'll see if I can shift my one to the Penang Food thread. Atilla, Ex-Reg, do you want me to shift your last 2 postings in there too? (assuming I can remember how to do it )
@Bakedbean: Provided it's after THC has seen the reply. I think the thread is not too active and still retains its main theme. Trouble is, to prospective members, if the threads are cut and pasted too much it might look like people ask questions and never get answered so they may think stuff it and not join/post etc.

@ THC: Oh, and re Bagan. They have taken a long time to choose the right place to move too. It will be the same Colonial type building allowing them to recreate the same eclectic style. The brother of the owner of the new building was in there last night. It's for business reasons only, more exposure in GT. Likely July/Aug.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

@ Bakedbean: PS - Looks like the Blog name can be confirmed. Sorted

I did try to edit the post I made earlier about she was working with a but couldn't get back in. Was posting on iPhone at the time!! Right, time to get ready, meal at the Hai Nan then GT later to celebrate
Old Apr 27th 2011, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

TopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud of

Sorry about my rambling on & going off on tangents, I will however keep this post on topic.

@atilla, I don't think your blog name is a bit premature at all, on the contrary it is an excellent name. I have not done any in depth research on the search term 'pick of penang' so I'm unsure if many people would search for 'pick of penang pubs/restaurants....etc'.

Your site does come in on page 1 in google for the search 'pick of penang', in fact you come in as the first few results on page one so well done

Having said that it does conjure up the implication that your blog will display information representing what is good about Penang. It matters not that the content is not complete, in fact it will never be complete as new places open all the time and trends always change. This months hottest nightclub could be overtaken by a more fashionable club at any time. If a top chef leaves a restaurant will the fine dining retain its gastronomic highs?

I just had a look at your blog source code & I cannot see any meta data for your site (I was using a Chrome browser) I switched to Firefox to double check & I can see you have no keywords or a description for your site, these are very important for your ranking in Google search.

You have your H1, H2 & H3 headings which is good, but, one of your H2 headings is the date, is this normal when creating a blog? I admit I have no experience of blog creation so I'm unsure if you have followed certain instructions to do this. But I would have thought this to be less important than each blog heading which are H3.

On the design side I think the look of your blog is very very good. Your writing is also very good and it looks like you will not limit yourself within certain subjects which is also very good.

No website or blog can ever be completed over night, it will take time & the key is to regularly update content.

I for one will be interested in your reviews and I look forward to reading them as you add them.

I wish you the best of luck
Old Apr 27th 2011, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

@THC Wow, kind words indeed. Thx very much. As to the name, it's actually meant to reflect part of my surname and the fact I'm here (bit like Paul of Paris etc). Conscious that it will be taken both ways and over time it will of course become my pick also. Its mainly meant as a personal diary and for friends and family to keep track but if it gets very popular, fine. Im also happy if it helps others or promotes places I like. Its very new and the premature part was mainly because I hadn't decided to settle in Penang 100% then. Sorted now though.

I need to do a fair bit on meta data. Just had no time and certainly not while here. After my brief return to uk it will get sorted. Your comments are all correct though. Just time.

Re the Hain Nan, yes it's the one on Pengk Weld. Comes highly recommended from a Hain Nan local. I'm partial to Hai Nan, like Szechuan most. Least of all is Guangzho. Little too sweet for me. Love Dalia and Chengdau too but the attraction there is different.

Everywhere will get a review. Some deeper than others. Funnily enough I've been contacted by a tour guide publisher now. Interesting times.

Right she has told her friends it's time for them to go now. Catch you soon.

Last edited by Atilla; Apr 27th 2011 at 3:25 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

TopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud of

@ ex reg, thanks for the info, duly noted.

@ atilla, I kind of guessed that you already knew about the meta data but hadn't the time, your blog design was the clue as it is too good for someone not to be aware about its importance on the internet.

Congratulations on being contacted by the tour guide publisher, are they interested in publishing some of your content?

btw........as you are interested in writing reviews there is a food blogging competition in Selangor starting 1st May. RM5000 1st prize as well as many more prizes. Obviously got to travel & dine in Selangor restaurants, then publish on your blog & then you can enter the competition.

If interested just google 'selangorious'. I'm actually researching restaurants as I want to travel south & enter this competition (it is open for non nationals).

Is there a Selangor restaurant thread? maybe I should start a thread asking for suggestions of where I can find some fine dining venues.
Old May 23rd 2011, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi

Thanks. Must have missed this. Not around for the tasting event but will be back REAL soon, and I mean REAL soon
Old Jun 8th 2011, 11:50 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Ok . I see that Sue has already politely pointed out the rules about direct advertising on the BE open forums & kindly sorted out putting a link to your blog into your BE signature.
So, no need for this thread to continue really as it does not bide by BE site rules.

Happy postings though to all other threads around BE.

Advertising in Forum Posts
The forums, (including the private message, blog and email systems), are not a venue for advertisements in any way. Please do not post promotional/advertising messages, urls, nor specifics that would lead people to your site/blog/product/service. However, a line in your signature with a link to your site is allowed. (For signature guidelines please read Rule 20.) It will be the sole discretion of britishexpats.com and its moderators as to what constitutes an advertisement.