Moving to KL In January

Old Jan 3rd 2013, 12:18 am
Just Joined

Eireexpat34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to KL In January

Hi

My husband is taking up a position in KL in feb. I'm looking at putting my daughter into either Mount Kiara Int, Garden IS or British IS. I've visited the GIS and British School but not the American school. Can anyone advise pls as I thought the hours very long for nursery in the British school system compared to the American school.
Also we were thinking on living in Mont Kiara as it is possible to walk to the schools. We were offered company accommodation( it was big but rundown) and far from schools. Has anyone on here gone from house living to apt/ condo living? How did you find it? We don't want to spend more than 6000 rpm per month. Can you haggle prices down if you want the place unfurnished/partially furnished, as we are shipping furniture? Or can anyone advise alternate good locations outside of Mont Kiara?

Thanks

Old Jan 3rd 2013, 2:49 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to KL In January

Hello, just to say Welcome to the forum. I'm not in KL so cannot help you, but I'm sure all the KL residents will be along soon to give you some advice.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 5:01 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, and welcome to the KL forums. Regarding schools, what hours do they do for nursery? At my sons school (Alice Smith) the preschool hours are 8.45 -12. And rhen Reception is 8.45 to 2pm. Are those schools offering longer hours rhan these?

I think if you have only one child (who is relatively young) then condo living is fine. I have two young children (6&3) and we live in a 3000sf apartment. We moved from a house, and until now we've really enjoyed it and the great facilities that it offers. After 3 years here we will probably move to a house next because my son really needs the garden space to go crazy in. If we just had girls I'm sure we could stay longer :-)

6000rm is not going to get you much of a house in MK and certainly not one with a pool. My top tip is that having access to a pool is absolutely top of the list!
Also look at Sri Hartamas, Taman Duta and Bangsar areas. Although you wont be able to walk to school from there.

Definitely haggle on the rent!

Good luck!

Ajw

Last edited by ajw; Jan 3rd 2013 at 5:03 am.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 5:01 am
Just Joined

Thanks Bakedbean!
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 5:08 am
Just Joined

Hi ajw,

Thanks for that information. The schools we looked at had a long day. British school was 7.30 till 2.30pm and Garden International was a similar for nursery times too.

What sort of price range would you recommend then?? I've seen quite a few nice apt in Mont Kiara for in or around 6k a month in the new Kiara 9 development. At the moment I only have the one child but I'm hoping to try for another one soon!! Also room for guests etc..

Do most companies pay rent as part of the package? We did have an offer of free accomodation but we don't want to live on site. Plus the travel time each day to and from school would be ridiculous. That's why I'm thinking Mont Kiara.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 5:20 am
ajw

ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

When you say nursery, what age do you mean? My son started those sorts of hours in Reception (age 4-5). Preschool (age 3-4) at our school is only 8.45-12. If she is younger (ie preschool) you could also have the option of sending her to one of the very good local preschools.

For the apartments, when you are looking online, you can get a good feel as to whether there are quite a few available in the same development and that should give you more bargaining power. I would look at apartments up to 8k per month and then negotiate from there if you are keen. You will be in a better position if you are willing to sign up to a 2 year lease. I think most companies do provide a housing allowance (which is taxed!) but this is not true for everyone, it will depend on the company and the role.

When you sign a lease you will be expecting to pay a deposit equivalent to 2 months rent, a months rent in advance plus a utilities deposit equiv to half a months rent.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 5:40 am
Just Joined

Well it's Nursery in British School and Kindergarten prep in the American school.

Thanks for your help. We will keep our finances open a little more and see what we can find!

Are there any nice developments you cold reccomend in Mont Kiara.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 8:49 am
ajw

I've not visited many condo's in that area so can't help. Hopefully someone who has will be along soon!
Old Jan 6th 2013, 9:55 am
Serial Expat

lizp123 is just really nicelizp123 is just really nicelizp123 is just really nicelizp123 is just really nicelizp123 is just really nicelizp123 is just really nicelizp123 is just really nicelizp123 is just really nice

Hi there. We'll be moving to Mont Kiara in the next couple of months with a 3 year old. We're planning to put her in GIS so nursery to start with which is 8.15 to 1.30pm then reception year is 8.10 to 1.45.

http://www.gardenschool.edu.my/eyc-school-hours/
Old Jan 7th 2013, 9:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lizp123
Hi there. We'll be moving to Mont Kiara in the next couple of months with a 3 year old. We're planning to put her in GIS so nursery to start with which is 8.15 to 1.30pm then reception year is 8.10 to 1.45.

http://www.gardenschool.edu.my/eyc-school-hours/
Hi lizp123

We are hoping to send our child into Mount Kiara iNternational or GIS. They both seem full for this year. We might have to wait till August for MIS which is already on a waiting list. We are hoping to live in mont kiara. Been looking at Kiara 9 and 28 mont Kiara and Seni as potential places. Think we will live in apt/condominium for first year.
So much to sort out. The mind boggles!
Old Jan 7th 2013, 2:24 pm
Serial Expat

lizp123 is just really nicelizp123 is just really nicelizp123 is just really nicelizp123 is just really nicelizp123 is just really nicelizp123 is just really nicelizp123 is just really nicelizp123 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Eireexpat34
Hi lizp123

We are hoping to send our child into Mount Kiara iNternational or GIS. They both seem full for this year. We might have to wait till August for MIS which is already on a waiting list. We are hoping to live in mont kiara. Been looking at Kiara 9 and 28 mont Kiara and Seni as potential places. Think we will live in apt/condominium for first year.
So much to sort out. The mind boggles!
Hi Eireexpat

I was thinking she will probably start in August too. As soon as our Visa's are confirmed we'll be applying for a place at GIS. We'll be hopefully in i-zen Tiffani for the first month or so then we have to look for a house. The relocation company are helping us with that. Hubby wants a condo, I'd prefer a house but we'll see! Way too much to sort out here!
Old Aug 11th 2013, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

rps323150 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I have some very basic questions:

1) When does a child actually start education ( pre school, play school, etc) in KL?

2) For this start ie, at the age of 3/4/5, what is a typical fee range in KL international schools?

regards
Old Aug 11th 2013, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

and third and the most important thing:

3) As the waiting list generally remains long, how may months/ years before you should "enrol" and then when the time is right make an entry?
Old Aug 12th 2013, 12:49 am
Serial Expat

They can start school at 3 4 or 5. The September after they turn 3 they can start in the nursery year in the British schools, the following September begins the reception year and they start year 1 the next year when they're 5 and that's when it's compulsory.

I believe the fees range massively amongst the international schools. Its best to check their websites for their fees. I think GIS,MKIS and Alice Smith are the most exclusive/expensive and will have waiting lists in particular from the reception year when the majority of kids will start.

If starting in the nursery year it's easier to get a place but you'd be looking at sept 2014 now to guarantee a place.

Hope that helps a bit.

Eireexpat34 - where did you move to in the end?!
Old Aug 17th 2013, 10:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lizp123
They can start school at 3 4 or 5. The September after they turn 3 they can start in the nursery year in the British schools, the following September begins the reception year and they start year 1 the next year when they're 5 and that's when it's compulsory.

I believe the fees range massively amongst the international schools. Its best to check their websites for their fees. I think GIS,MKIS and Alice Smith are the most exclusive/expensive and will have waiting lists in particular from the reception year when the majority of kids will start.

If starting in the nursery year it's easier to get a place but you'd be looking at sept 2014 now to guarantee a place.

Hope that helps a bit.

Eireexpat34 - where did you move to in the end?!
Dear Lizp123

Thanks for the clarification. Have send you a pm. Please respond.

regards