Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

moving to Ipoh with family this spring and having a massive panic attack!!

moving to Ipoh with family this spring and having a massive panic attack!!

Old Feb 7th 2014, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

babeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: moving to Ipoh with family this spring and having a massive panic attack!!

Food places aren't too bad. Mostly they do keep to the standard local prices. Mostly just equipment shops and contractors that try to do one with my husband around. Learn one important phrase in Cantonese at least for Ipoh - Ho Gwai = very expensive. Even better if you throw in some local lingo like, "Aiya, ho gwai". Lol
Old Feb 11th 2014, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

roystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to Ipoh with family this spring and having a massive panic attack!!

Whenever I think of ipoh, the first thing that flashes in my mind is Salted Chicken! Yummy!
Old Feb 12th 2014, 11:49 am
Just Joined

babeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of light

Really? I honestly haven't tried it. I would have thought that dim sum, chicken hor fun and chicken tauge and kaya puff would come to mind? Typical Malaysians, all about food. Lol
Old Feb 12th 2014, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

roystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babeinm
Really? I honestly haven't tried it. I would have thought that dim sum, chicken hor fun and chicken tauge and kaya puff would come to mind? Typical Malaysians, all about food. Lol
Well, I am from Penang and most of my visits to Ipoh is just passing by. I do not have the luxury of trying them all

http://food.malaysiamostwanted.com/v...n-theatre-ipoh

This is the best, I was told. But the last time I bought (2013) the price was Rm17 per chicken.

Surrounding Aun Keng Lim there are at least 3 salted chicken wannabes
Old Apr 6th 2014, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

Weenocks is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lacmac
Hello,

i am babeinm's husband,so thought i'd give my view on Ipoh.

We moved here last April from manic KL.Coming to Ipoh was like a breath of fresh air,well actually it is as there is hardly any pollution.Which is helped by having all the stunning mountains around us.

Everything is only a few minutes drive away,got all the shops/stores,bars and eateries you need.People are friendly and i have had no communication problems.

I have not had much time to venture around Ipoh yet as i only get taken to places where there is a so called famous food places,yes locals here live for food.As soon as they have finished eating,they talk about where next to eat.

We are renovating a house and one thing i noticed was when buying tools is that prices double when they see a white face.So what i do is get my wife to go and find out the price,only then i come in.But it isnt always the case,i have found a couple of good hardware/DIY stores that have gone out of their way to help and have even given us items for free.

There are not many expats here,most of the ones i have seen look to be retired.

Ipoh is in a good location,KL 2 1/2 hrs away,Penang 90 mins away and you have Cameron highlands (named after a Scot) not too far away either and is a must to see.The only thing i do miss is the sea,nearest coast line is about 1hr away.

To some up Ipoh,id say its quiet(not dead),relaxing and picturesque.You can step out from your home,go for a walk,cycle,drive or do as i do and get a motorcycle,get lost for a couple of hrs and wait for my wife to rescue me.
Thank you for the advice!

My hubby is heading over on Monday and says he will be up for a pint if you are up to it!

He was there for a few weeks last month and said the people were very friendly and he loved the food. Looks like he found a house in Meru for us and he also checked out the Tenby school too.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

Sparklystar is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. I was really interested in your comments about ipoh. I wonder if weenocks moved there and how it is going? Ipoh is where we are considering moving to and our kids are very similar ages. I hope it is going well and again any advice would be great. Also we are veggies and i would love to hear if veggie food is really difficult to find. Cheers in advance.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 1:20 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't have thought you would have any problems getting veggie foods anywhere in Malaysia especially if you're happy with local foods. The food is just great in Malaysia
Old Apr 21st 2014, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

^ I would prefer to eat fresh veggie or cook it myself with fresh vege ingredients as the ones sold in most vege stalls are full of MSGs.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the response. I see there are a few veggie cafés but I hear a lot of shrimp paste is used in a lot of places The food looks lovely I hope I find a couple of places to eat that don't stick shrimps in!!
Old Apr 21st 2014, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

Sparkly. ..I am not a veggie but close to it lately. I have being doing crossfit and adopted a clean eating diet . I know there are several Indian food places my husband said are quite good and all veggie. I love to cook so I will be probably cooking a lot at home.

He is the Brit...and quite nervous about me driving over there...He said the traffic is atrocious. ..that combined with the opposite side of the road will be an adventure. I think I'll be fine though so we will see.

We did rent a house in Meru Valley last week...it is an enormous community from I understand so I will be buying a second hand golf cart lol. I am originally from Houston. ..HOT HOT HOT and humid...but I have met someone that is from Houston and lives in Meru now and said..GET READY..The heat and humidity put Houston to shame.
Also...she took a picture of some lovely water monitors. ..which my eldest son has decided he wants to catch and have as a pet ...um...NOPE!!
Old Apr 21st 2014, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

Hi again weenocks. Lovely to hear from you. I am nervous about driving there too although after living in manchester I am used to terrible driving and traffic but I bet it is worse than here. The thought of driving over those mountains to get into ipoh is enough to send me into a spiral!! I so must remember I am a cbt therapist haha.

Any advice with accommodation in meru will be gratefully received. Especially if anyone knows any good websites to look at townhouses and how much they cost to rent etc.
thanks in advance. Weenocks I am sure we will meet xx
Old Apr 21st 2014, 11:44 pm
Just Joined

Iproperty is who we used at first. ..I will ask Davie for the estate agent. We found that some properties are not listed online...and some that the agent isn't personally identified with they won't show as easily. Metuchen Valley has a lot of different types of housing too...Condos and town homes seem to be the most affordable. Some houses go for over 10000 rm a month.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 5:37 am
Just Joined

Thanks weenocks
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roystevenung
the ones sold in most vege stalls are full of MSGs.
MSG... well... if you google MSG and read the reviews about tests done then generally MSG has no effect on the individual.

For myself I always feel hungover and worse after I've eaten a meal which I suspect when I feel hungover has contained MSG.

I used to think it was akchewlee imbibing too much which at one time I tended to do.

But nowadays having cut down substantially, when I feel MSG'd after a meal outside the home then I'm fairly certain it's due to MSG.
I never get the same 'orrible feeling after eating at home, no matter how much I've imbibed there.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

Meru Valley...Good grief ...auto correct went crazy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.