Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

moving to Ipoh with family this spring and having a massive panic attack!!

moving to Ipoh with family this spring and having a massive panic attack!!

Old Jan 10th 2014, 11:54 pm
Just Joined

Weenocks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to Ipoh with family this spring and having a massive panic attack!!

Hi there
We are moving to Ipoh this spring. My husband is Scottish and I am American. We have two young boys, age 5 and 8. Any advice at all is appreciated. I am in a tail spin!!
Old Jan 11th 2014, 7:40 am
Loving Penang

Kirisuchina is a splendid one to beholdKirisuchina is a splendid one to beholdKirisuchina is a splendid one to beholdKirisuchina is a splendid one to beholdKirisuchina is a splendid one to beholdKirisuchina is a splendid one to beholdKirisuchina is a splendid one to beholdKirisuchina is a splendid one to beholdKirisuchina is a splendid one to beholdKirisuchina is a splendid one to beholdKirisuchina is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: moving to Ipoh with family this spring and having a massive panic attack!!

We just moved to Penang in August. We have been to Ipoh twice already, and think it could be quite a nice place to live. Our kids are older but I would think it would be a good atmosphere for younger ones. One thing they might enjoy is exploring the cave temples in the area. And there is Lost World--we haven't been there but you might have a look:]http://www.sunwaylostworldoftambun.com/http://www.sunwaylostworldoftambun.com/[/URL].

Ipoh seems fairly quiet, but large enough to offer some variety. You will probably stand out more there than you would in Penang or KL, just because there are fewer foreigners. English is very widely spoken and people are generally very lovely and welcoming. Ipoh is also well located for quick trips to Penang, Cameron Highlands, KL and Melaka (highly recommended--fun for kids too).

Of course it is maddening trying to get everything arranged and make it out the door and on your way. Somehow it will all fall into place--don't despair. I don't think you will regret the move! The climate and food are fab. And getting set up once you get here (phone, internet, etc.) is easier than in many places. This forum is helpful with settling in questions and you will readily find other expats with helpful advice. Good luck, and see you on the other side!
Old Jan 11th 2014, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to Ipoh with family this spring and having a massive panic attack!!

This isn't usual:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=3&theater
Old Jan 11th 2014, 12:23 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weenocks
Hi there
We are moving to Ipoh this spring. My husband is Scottish and I am American. We have two young boys, age 5 and 8. Any advice at all is appreciated. I am in a tail spin!!
Hi and welcome to the forum . Makes a change hearing of folks moving to Ipoh. Be good to hear of your opinions once you have settled in. Hope the move goes well.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

Ipoh's a great place, lots to see and do and some superb food, outstanding bak-kut-teh there and I've had the best curry mee ever in the town square in the early hours.

I have quite a few friends there and visit regularly. I'm sure you'll be fine in Ipoh and it's not far from either KL or Penang it's easy to get to both if you fancy a change.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 2:45 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

These Ipoh residents sure are feisty though. Just reading in the Star Online about some guy who had his ATM card swallowed by a machine. He then smashed up no less than 7 ATMs

The article is here if you want to read:
http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Natio...-is-swallowed/
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

Weenocks is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys! Well , hubby comes over there in two weeks. I am following in May with my boys. Does anyone know a good place for Expats to live in Ipoh?
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

gobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond repute

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - if Ipoh had direct flights to Bangkok, I would have chosen Ipoh over Penang. That said, my exposure to the town has been purely as a tourist - living there may be a different experience, and one of the guys on my Thai board does seem a bit bored after two years in Ipoh. That can happen anywhere, but I do look forward to seeing the old girl - a lot of history, and I love the abandoned mansions and the food.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 1:25 am

I have absolutely no experience re Ipoh, apart from zooming past it on the highway, but I have a friend, a MM2Her though Malaysian born, who has been living in the Sunway area for a number of years now and seems to love it there. Might be worth a look.

I don't think we have many (err.... possibly none) posters living in Ipoh. Seems to be a well kept secret perhaps
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

gobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond repute

BB, I get the distinct impression that the 'well kept secret' is exactly the way many in Ipoh want to keep it - admittedly this blog entry is a little dated but I havent seen anything on my visits to make me think of the town in any other way.

http://desirableaudio.blogspot.com.a...d-in-ipoh.html

ipoh is a sedate town/city with not much nightlife or entertainment. a lot of middle-aged businessmen or retirees have plenty of disposable income hence they dabble in hifi or home theatre as favorite pastimes.

Of course, as with any hobby, audiophiles can be a myopic lot, but I cant say I saw a lot of wild nightlife during my time in Ipoh. If it's there, they keep it well hidden
Old Feb 7th 2014, 10:48 am
Just Joined

babeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, hopefully I am not too late in offering some advise. AmAldoalaysian gal married to a Scottish guy. Born and just moved back to Ipoh last year from KL. Just browsing for my hubbie to see if there are any other expats in Ipoh. Ipoh is a much quieter place to live in as compared to say Penang or KL. If you like the hussle and bustle of a city life, well Ipoh might disappoint. But if u prefer a laid back sort of life where you can get to almost anywhere you want within 10 to 15 mins or less, Ipoh is the place to be. It's true to how Ipoh is home to a lot of retired folk, mostly english speaking or quite friendly once the initial scrutiny is over. (Malaaysians in general are a bit paranoid abt security and safety). Ipoh is more of a foodie heaven especially if you love asian food. There are pubs, restaurants and bars to go to, of course no comparison to KL.

I assume now your husband would have found an appropriate place to live. A nice area is around Canning Garden or Ipoh Garden where it is quieter especially for family life. Its abt 10 to 15 mins car ride to the city but you have abt 3 hospitals say in a 1- 5km radious. There is a Tescos, Tescos extra and Aeon abt a few mins away. Very convenient for grocery shopping. Also plenty of small shops and eateries around. No idea where the international schools are in ipoh though. Never had a need to know.

Anyways, if you have any questions on Ipoh, just ask away. Am also rediscovering my hometown after years of just coming home for visits.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babeinm
Hi, hopefully I am not too late in offering some advise. AmAldoalaysian gal married to a Scottish guy. Born and just moved back to Ipoh last year from KL. Just browsing for my hubbie to see if there are any other expats in Ipoh. Ipoh is a much quieter place to live in as compared to say Penang or KL. If you like the hussle and bustle of a city life, well Ipoh might disappoint. But if u prefer a laid back sort of life where you can get to almost anywhere you want within 10 to 15 mins or less, Ipoh is the place to be. It's true to how Ipoh is home to a lot of retired folk, mostly english speaking or quite friendly once the initial scrutiny is over. (Malaaysians in general are a bit paranoid abt security and safety). Ipoh is more of a foodie heaven especially if you love asian food. There are pubs, restaurants and bars to go to, of course no comparison to KL.

I assume now your husband would have found an appropriate place to live. A nice area is around Canning Garden or Ipoh Garden where it is quieter especially for family life. Its abt 10 to 15 mins car ride to the city but you have abt 3 hospitals say in a 1- 5km radious. There is a Tescos, Tescos extra and Aeon abt a few mins away. Very convenient for grocery shopping. Also plenty of small shops and eateries around. No idea where the international schools are in ipoh though. Never had a need to know.

Anyways, if you have any questions on Ipoh, just ask away. Am also rediscovering my hometown after years of just coming home for visits.
To follow bb and use
Old Feb 7th 2014, 12:40 pm

Yes I was about to say the same. Welcome to the forum babeinm . Great first post and look forward to hearing more about Ipoh, if you feel like writing.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

lacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

i am babeinm's husband,so thought i'd give my view on Ipoh.

We moved here last April from manic KL.Coming to Ipoh was like a breath of fresh air,well actually it is as there is hardly any pollution.Which is helped by having all the stunning mountains around us.

Everything is only a few minutes drive away,got all the shops/stores,bars and eateries you need.People are friendly and i have had no communication problems.

I have not had much time to venture around Ipoh yet as i only get taken to places where there is a so called famous food places,yes locals here live for food.As soon as they have finished eating,they talk about where next to eat.

We are renovating a house and one thing i noticed was when buying tools is that prices double when they see a white face.So what i do is get my wife to go and find out the price,only then i come in.But it isnt always the case,i have found a couple of good hardware/DIY stores that have gone out of their way to help and have even given us items for free.

There are not many expats here,most of the ones i have seen look to be retired.

Ipoh is in a good location,KL 2 1/2 hrs away,Penang 90 mins away and you have Cameron highlands (named after a Scot) not too far away either and is a must to see.The only thing i do miss is the sea,nearest coast line is about 1hr away.

To some up Ipoh,id say its quiet(not dead),relaxing and picturesque.You can step out from your home,go for a walk,cycle,drive or do as i do and get a motorcycle,get lost for a couple of hrs and wait for my wife to rescue me.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 1:35 pm

I think Bluenose will empathise with your doubling prices comment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.