Melaka

Old Dec 27th 2012, 4:01 am
Just Joined

AusMex is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Melaka

Is there any members on here living in Melaka. My wife and I are moving there in late January. and need some information on the area.
First, where to rent a house, good areas, we are very quiet people, so would like a quiet area, love the water, would like a house on the Malacca Straights, between Muar and Malacca, but not the most important option. Minimum 2 bedrooms 2 bathrooms.
Price, that is negotiable depending on location.

Second, Car, will need to get a car when we arrive, only want something cheap as I will either import my present car or buy a new one under the MM2H scheme. Should we try to buy private or through a dealer, if dealer, any recommendations.
Thanks
Frank
Old Dec 27th 2012, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melaka

From the 5 or 6 river estuaries I've driven down for not to good sea food between Muar and Malacca the housing didn't seem too great.
North of Malacca some of the houses are ripe for purchase and renovation as they include quite a nice area of land and are of the old 'mansion' type style.
Don't live in Malacca but enjoy 4 days or so there a few times a year.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 3:25 am
Just Joined

Moonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Melaka

I've not been to Melaka but have read quite a bit about it and am interested in spending some time there, just gotta convince 'the missus'. Would be interested AusMex in any info you could forward after you arrive. Are you an Aussie (AusMex), I am but lived in the UK for quite a while so sorta relate to the Brits on here, enjoy Malaysia, was there in the Australian Air Force quite some years back and also find this a great site and 'lurk' here quite a bit.
Cheers

Last edited by Moonbeamzz; Dec 29th 2012 at 3:42 am. Reason: spelling
Old Dec 29th 2012, 6:13 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I've got friends who moved to Melaka not so long ago. They love it there. They were initially looking at Penang but decided on Melaka, partly due to proximity of KLIA. I've tried to lure them onto BE with no luck but have got the following info from them which they say I can pass on. Hope this helps.

quote from friend:
In response, we live in Ozana Country Resort in Ayer Keroh, it will certainly meet the couples requirements 'good but quiet area'. It's a gated development, near the North South Highway. There are three small malls and other eating places nearby.

Other than that, there is a place at Ozana that I have seen advertised, see the link below. Again it is in Ayer Keroh which is about 9KM (20-25 mins drive) away from downtown Melaka. If they want to stay in a condo near the sea then they will find these in Klebang.

Finding a place to rent in Melaka is not as straightforward as in Penang, many places are not necessarily advertised on the internet. It's by word of mouth that many people find places to rent.

I suggest they stay in a hotel and look for a place to rent, we stayed at the new four star Hatten hotel which has very attractive promotion rates and found a place to rent in 10 days. It is a very nice downtown hotel, we recommend it.

http://www.mudah.my/Bungalow+In+Orna...h-16087498.htm
http://www.hattenhotel.com/English/P...oms-Promotions
unquote

Note from me: I've literally copied and pasted the above from my friend's email so you may have to copy the links for them to work.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 6:49 am
Just Joined

Moonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks BakedBean, you are one of the reasons I 'lurk' here. You put out some great info. Know its off thread but a brief comment, see you are in Penang, I was at Butterworth in the 70s and back in Penang last year - almost unrecognisable. All the high rise and Penang Road seems to have got much shorter - even the old Tiger Bar seems to have disappeared. Oh well things must move on
Cheers
Old Dec 29th 2012, 7:40 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Moonbeam, there was a thread last year which kind of wandered off topic into olden times in Penang in the 70s and 80s. Do have a read of it - link below. Unfortunately it's more than a year old so has been closed up/archived. Maybe we should start up a new thread Penang in the 70s and 80s... what do you think?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=732680
Old Dec 29th 2012, 10:32 am
Just Joined

Had a read and do remember the HK bar along with many others colloquially know as 'traps', Chung King, New Nam Keow just to name a couple. Young single (well mostly) guys would do what was known as a trap run, always done in trishaws which was the main mode of transport for getting around in Georgetown. A trap run involved visiting low devious dives which would look a bit average in the cold light of day but after a skin full at night they and their occupants didn't look half bad. Bit like some of the curry houses in Butterworth, had to be a brave man to set foot in them while sober but about 3am after a ferry trip following a night out on the town they looked pretty good. Ah the memories .
Cheers

Last edited by Moonbeamzz; Dec 29th 2012 at 10:34 am.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 2:05 am
Just Joined

Thanks Bakedbean, tried to send uou a PM, but it would not let me, will try again tomorrow
Old Dec 30th 2012, 2:09 am
Just Joined

Thanks ex reg, when we get there, we will have a good look around before making a decision, we will go for a drive down to muar, and will let you know what we think
Old Dec 30th 2012, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

AusMex, fyi when I say north of Malacca I mean on the coast road before you get to the oil/gas refinery.
In most cases much closer to the town centre than that.
Of course those places ripe for reno aren't gated and security may be one of you concerns.

There do seem to be a few nice looking condos recently built.
IIRC there are 1 or 2 just up north from the centre.

We'll go up again for a short trip before CNY.

And finally if you are willing to look as far south as Muar maybe you'd consider even further south say to Batu Pahat which although smaller than Muar is quite nice.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by AusMex
Thanks Bakedbean, tried to send uou a PM, but it would not let me, will try again tomorrow
It should work. You just click on my name and hit the bit that says send a PM.... or you can send me an email if you prefer - don't mind. Again just pick the Send Email bit.
Old Jan 1st 2013, 1:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

My (Malay) wife & I are in the process of moving to Melaka - well, our furniture and the rest of our possessions were delivered to our rented accommodation on December 18, although for now we are still stuck in the UK! We are hoping to come over shortly and we are renting (until our own house is built) a 3 bedroomed house (unfurnished, and not in a gated community) in Taman Seri Mangga (a kampong) for RM400 a month! I guess that's one of the benefits of having local family (a couple of houses along from a sister-in-law)! Not so near the beach, though. I guess it's probably about 20 minutes or so drive.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 7:09 am
Just Joined

Hi, any further feedback on Melaka, apart from a lot of history am finding it difficult to gain impressions of daily life.
Cheers
Old Jan 20th 2013, 7:40 am

My chums who have moved to Melaka are visiting Penang in two weeks time and the bakedbeans will be having lunch with them. So, if you've got any specific questions, stick them on here, or send me a PM, and I'll try and tackle them I wish I could lure them onto BE. I have tried
Old Jan 20th 2013, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Good to see more folk moving to Melaka. Hopefully we can keep it going. There must be a smallish but developing community in Melaka these days. I lived there 81...and was there for extended periods in the late 70s. I have sen the changes in 03 last back.......already closing in on ten years. Must make a return very soon. Keep the Melaka news coming......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.