Bars and pubs in Penang

Old Sep 13th 2011, 1:14 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bars and pubs in Penang

Im on 2 weeks R&R in Sydney right now, then off to Nauru.

Bakedbeans: is the HongKong Bar still around? I heard a rumour it burned to the ground. If so that is tragic.....
Old Sep 13th 2011, 3:07 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a property in Thailand

Hong Kong bar? No idea. I just did a google to see where it is/was and looks like Chulia Street in Georgetown. Anyone else know?

To be honest, we don't do Georgetown bars. The traffic is a pain in the bum so, if we go out in the evenings, it's usually up around where we live in the retirees' belt of Bt Ferringhi-Tg Bungah-Tg Tokong-Gurney.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Hong Kong bar? No idea. I just did a google to see where it is/was and looks like Chulia Street in Georgetown. Anyone else know?

To be honest, we don't do Georgetown bars. The traffic is a pain in the bum so, if we go out in the evenings, it's usually up around where we live in the retirees' belt of Bt Ferringhi-Tg Bungah-Tg Tokong-Gurney.
I used to frequent the HK Bar fairly often when in GeorgeTown in the late 70s to early 80s when doing the circuit and remember it well.
A favourite place for the RAAF who were based across in Butterworth at the time.
It was indeed in Chulia St on the right walking down towards the harbour.
Rather bawdy place, loud at times agressive but all part of the colour of the time.
And no it hasn't been around for a good number of years.

Last edited by the troubadour; Sep 16th 2011 at 3:59 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 4:50 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
I used to frequent the HK Bar fairly often when in GeorgeTown in the late 70s to early 80s when doing the circuit and remember it well.
A favourite place for the RAAF who were based across in Butterworth at the time.
It was indeed in Chulia St on the right walking down towards the harbour.
Rather bawdy place, loud at times agressive but all part of the colour of the time.
And no it hasn't been around for a good number of years.
Very sad to learn it is no longer around. Many happy memories (we only remember the good times....) of the hong kong bar. Indeed the RAAF were often to be found there, along with guys from Rifle Company Butterworth and the odd RN and RAN crew...

Tonight I will drink a beer to better days and old friends.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 5:42 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

As I'm a neat and tidy person I'm wondering about splitting the last 4 posts into a new one called errr..... Bars in Penang?? It's a subject dear to my heart and looks like a few others on here too. Any objection Slaphead, as you started it all off?
Old Sep 17th 2011, 5:58 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I've noticed you are making a sterling effort, in your role as concierge, to keep this place tidy.

Personally, from years of running one of these things (when it was much busier than it is now ), I would advise you just chill out and let the tangents go, or you'll tie yourself in knots.

The OP is by now off getting on with her life, I am sure.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 6:05 am

No no, you've got it wrong. I'm quite happy with off-topic personally. That's the way conversations go in real life. But I saw an opportunity for a good thread Bars in Penang. Oh sod it, I'm just going to do it. Come moan at me if you don't like it anyone
Old Sep 17th 2011, 6:22 am

Default Re: Bars and pubs in Penang

Where else? I went (got taken to) to the Soho Bar in Georgetown once. It was just okay. Was there early evening and had some food in there too (just average kinda pub food).

Has anyone been to Ingolff's Kneipe in Tanjung Bungah - long established bar. A friend told me that it used to be based, way back when, in Bt Ferringhi, but has been in Tg Bungah village for some time now. We tried to get in one evening for a meal and was told that we had to book in advance.. and they were doing 2 sessions a night So we never tried it out. It's obviously very popular.

And what about Straits Quay in Tanjung Pinang? Plenty of pubs/bars there. The prices look a bit fearful to me. Anyone got one to recommend?
Old Sep 17th 2011, 6:25 am
Not allowed opinions.

Good thread, it's the first thing most expats want to know about, and usually there is an expat pub or two that holds a piece in an expats heart.

Apparently the Tiger and the Queens are the places to go these days. Anyone got any comments?

On the same thread, anyone remember the old RAAF club on Pensng?
Old Sep 17th 2011, 6:32 am
Not allowed opinions.

Just googled the RAAF club, and roger me with a cucumber - it's on the web.

The Hideaway Bar was the drinking club...

http://www.raafschoolpenang.com/raafclub.htm

Update: a YouTube piece says it was demolished on 09

Last edited by slapphead_otool; Sep 17th 2011 at 6:38 am.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 7:13 am

Oh crikey... I know where that is. That's next to the now Island Plaza in Tanjung Tokong? Opposite Tanjung Park Condo? Well I never knew that. If it's the big bit of land directly adjacent to Island Plaza, that's about to open as a "dining area" with loads of new eateries. There's another smaller plot of land beyond that which remains empty. I think I might even have a pic in my collection. I'll have a look later.

I think there's probably a fair few on this forum (including a couple of Aussies) who will remember the place I suspect... but I know a few people are travelling at the moment.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 7:30 am
Not allowed opinions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-dxUltMn9M

A lot of people will be Sad to see it like this.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 8:13 am

I found the pic. I think this was about a year ago.
Attached Thumbnails Bars and pubs in Penang-island-plaza-beyond.jpg  
Old Sep 17th 2011, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
Im on 2 weeks R&R in Sydney right now, then off to Nauru.

Bakedbeans: is the HongKong Bar still around? I heard a rumour it burned to the ground. If so that is tragic.....
http://www.travelblog.org/Photos/1629625
It's still around:
Hong Kong Bar
371 Lebuh Chulia, Georgetown, 10200 George Town, Penang, Malaysia +60 4-261 9796 ‎

Last edited by columbine; Sep 17th 2011 at 5:16 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
I found the pic. I think this was about a year ago.
That's the plot Bakedbean. I was invited to a Christmas party many years ago by my Aussie family neighbors in Hillside. I was told it was sold for rm1 some years back. Now it has changed hands and we should see some fine dining hopefully (saw that posted when they still had the metal fences around during construction).

Last edited by columbine; Sep 17th 2011 at 5:21 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.