Melaka

Old Aug 4th 2012, 7:57 am
Just Joined

Teribus1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Melaka

I am new to this forum and am in the process of buying a bungalow in Klebang in Melaka. Are there any others out there who live in Melaka? I semi retired and have a company in Jakarta that i run remotely. We have mm2h and my wife is from singapore. We are currently renting a condo in Klebang.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 8:37 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melaka

Originally Posted by Teribus1
Are there any others out there who live in Melaka?
I don't think we have anyone on here who lives in Melaka unfortunately, though a lot of us have travelled there. These things change though. If you keep writing about Melaka, it will come up on the search engines, then that will attract some people probably.

So.... why do you like it there?
Old Aug 5th 2012, 8:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

I've thought about returning to Melaka after having lived there in the late seventies and early eighties. The changes of course have been enormous so not sure. I was last there in 2003 and still came across folk that remembered me from twenty years previously. We bought a house in Bukit Burang as it was being developed.
Be good to have a thread on Melaka and if you could update your experiences there I'm sure weould be useful an d interesting to some of us.
Good luck in Melaka.....anyway.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 8:55 am
Just Joined

Having spent the past 19 years in the largest car park in the world called Jakarta i decided that i would avoid Penang and KL and opted for Malacca which has considerably less traffic. That decision was made easier by the fact that my wife's mother originally came from Melaka and she has relatives there. The food in Melaka like Penang is superb and we enjoy the relative quiet.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 9:12 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds quite reasonable Teribus.

I only had a very short trip there and clearly went to the "wrong bit" of Melaka as it was really tacky touristy. I'll probably go back one of these days and take a more leisurely look around.

Any Melaka food dishes to recommend? I suppose there's a Melaka Laksa?? Seems like every place in Malaysia has its own version. (I love Penang Laksa by the way )
Old Aug 5th 2012, 9:28 am
Just Joined

Troubador

I used to spend weekends in Melaka in the seventies when i lived in Singapore. It has changed a lot and not all of it for the better. However if you keep clear of the tourist areas it still has much that is pleasant and itnis nit too far from Singapore where we also have a house. The food is good with roti canai and other mamak delights available togeher with peranikan dishes and of course the Portuguese Eurasian carry devil.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Much as we love Malacca and often visit, the Peranakan restaurants there aren't very good or maybe I should say suitable to our taste.

Can anyone remember The Merlin Hotel in Malacca.
It ain't there now and I just can't find the place it was situated.

It was our first place to stay in Malacca, oh so many years ago.

I've asked before 'can anyone recommend restaurants in Malacca'.

Although we are in UK at the moment we'll no doubt be off up there sometime before Christmas.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 4:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Troubador

I used to spend weekends in Melaka in the seventies when i lived in Singapore. It has changed a lot and not all of it for the better. However if you keep clear of the tourist areas it still has much that is pleasant and itnis nit too far from Singapore where we also have a house. The food is good with roti canai and other mamak delights available togeher with peranikan dishes and of course the Portuguese Eurasian carry devil.
The first time I visted Melaka was in 1976. I can recall that I wasn't overly impressed. Too young at the time but on future visits it certainly grew on me.
Very few international tourists around in those days apart from Singaporeans and the ocassional traveller who usually stayed out in Pantai Kundur past Tanjung Kling.

The night market by the waterfront was the place then long before the land reclaimation project.
The changes were incredible on my last visit. It was good that they cut the traffic from Jln Laksamana.....I hear the new river developments are rather stiirle....Must make another trip there soon.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

I am new to this forum and am in the process of buying a bungalow in Klebang in Melaka. Are there any others out there who live in Melaka? I semi retired and have a company in Jakarta that i run remotely. We have mm2h and my wife is from singapore. We are currently renting a condo in Klebang.
I married a Malaysian (from Melaka) in Melaka 4 years ago. We have been living in the UK since then but have always been planning for me to retire and live in Melaka. The original plan was to wait until I qualify for 1 of my pensions in 2014. Plans brought forward following my redundancy last week. Wife has been back for 3 weeks staying with her family. I come out to join her on 19th for 2 weeks. We are now thinking that with my redundancy pay plus 2 other pensions we will be moving either late October or November. It may depend on how long it takes me to get a visa.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

Hi Bluenose

Understand you are living in Derby. I just got back to Melaka after spending a week in our Long Eaton house for our daughter's graduation at Nottingham uni with a PHD in applied psychology. Give me a shout when you are coming diwn here.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 3:52 am

Sorry to hear about the redundancy BlueNose though hope you got a nice big payout

Still...at least it gets you out to Malaysia a bit quicker which has got to be a good thing eh?
Old Aug 7th 2012, 5:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by the troubadour
The first time I visted Melaka was in 1976. I can recall that I wasn't overly impressed. Too young at the time but on future visits it certainly grew on me.
Very few international tourists around in those days apart from Singaporeans and the ocassional traveller who usually stayed out in Pantai Kundur past Tanjung Kling.

The night market by the waterfront was the place then long before the land reclaimation project.
The changes were incredible on my last visit. It was good that they cut the traffic from Jln Laksamana.....I hear the new river developments are rather stiirle....Must make another trip there soon.
Strewth, you and Ex reg are showing similar age to myself. Yes I remember those good old days, but I was fortunate in having friends who owned a block of old warehouses along the river (later they built the Renaissance Hotel and still own/run it...and a good place to eat) so I got spoilt rotten. I miss the stalls along the sea front and even the lok lok boiled in satay sauce is not as good as once was when it was a stall under the bridge. But I like what they are doing to clean up the river and give it life again.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bluenose

Understand you are living in Derby. I just got back to Melaka after spending a week in our Long Eaton house for our daughter's graduation at Nottingham uni with a PHD in applied psychology. Give me a shout when you are coming diwn here.
Congratulations to your daughter. My daughter graduated 2 weeks ago with a First in Business Admin at Sheffield. I'll certainly give you a shout when we get there.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Sorry to hear about the redundancy BlueNose though hope you got a nice big payout

Still...at least it gets you out to Malaysia a bit quicker which has got to be a good thing eh?
Too true, BB. Mind you, the missus is starting to spend some of it already. New bed/mattress/wardrobe and also an airconditioner. The last will be more than welcome! However, I'll have to teach her to put the brakes on now
Old Aug 7th 2012, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Strider24
Strewth, you and Ex reg are showing similar age to myself. Yes I remember those good old days,
Sounds like we need a Down Memory Lane thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.