Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Importing a car under MM2H Scheme

Importing a car under MM2H Scheme

Old Jun 17th 2010, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

jonathanbkk is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Importing a car under MM2H Scheme

Does anyone have any experience in this?
A Malaysian friend warns me that the Traffic Department is the most corrupt of all government departments - is there a risk that they might demand a 'voluntary contribution', equal to the import duty, to release the car from the docks, and get it registered?
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 6:29 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing a car under MM2H Scheme

Hi Jonathan, there's a thread here where a guy in the UK details exactly how he imported a car in under MM2H

http://www.my2home.info/index.php/topic,885.0.html

I think there's probably some other threads on this sub-forum too but you'll have to wade through them yourself.

Best of luck with the move. I'm doing Thailand-Malaysia route soon too.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

jonathanbkk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Hi Jonathan, there's a thread here where a guy in the UK details exactly how he imported a car in under MM2H

http://www.my2home.info/index.php/topic,885.0.html

I think there's probably some other threads on this sub-forum too but you'll have to wade through them yourself.

Best of luck with the move. I'm doing Thailand-Malaysia route soon too.
Thank you, bakedbean, for this link. Unfortunately, I have to subscribe to the site first, so I'm waiting for their email!
I am finding it difficult to get answers from Malaysian authorities to any of the questions I put to them. It may be the language barrier, or the reluctance of a civil servant to commit himself.
The intention of the import scheme is to allow foreigners to bring with them a car that they already own. I live in Thailand, and the car must (in my case) come from Britain. I will need a car in Malaysia, and can save a fortune on the difference in price. So to benefit from the scheme, I must buy a car in UK! But does that necessarily mean they will allow me to import a brand new car, duty and tax free?
Old Jun 24th 2010, 8:24 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'd still do best trying to get on that website 'cause quite a few people on there have imported cars I think. I'll give a kick up the backside to the Administrator on there It's not a commercial website, just run by a retiree in Malaysia, so maybe he's got computer probs or something. Be patient.

I take it you've looked at the government website too http://www.mm2h.gov.my/incentive2.php

You said you can only benefit from the scheme if you buy a car in the UK, but you do know that you can order a tax-free car in Malaysia after you've got the visa? That's what we are doing. We're selling our Thai vehicles and buying vehicles in Malaysia. One will be tax-free.