Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

holiday in Penang and KL

holiday in Penang and KL

Old Mar 9th 2012, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

buzz will become famous soon enoughbuzz will become famous soon enough
Default holiday in Penang and KL

Hi, I normally post in the Australia forum but was hoping for a bit of advice on an up-coming holiday - 2 days in KL and 5 in Penang. As I've not got long in KL can anyone recommend any must-dos? Any area best to stay in?
Thanks!
Old Mar 9th 2012, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: holiday in Penang and KL

There's a Central Market in KL and Cardiff.

Where are you thinking of staying in Penang.

Last edited by ex reg; Mar 9th 2012 at 9:12 am.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ex reg
There's a Central Market in KL and Cardiff.

Where are you thinking of staying in Penang.
Hmm, bet they don't sell Welsh cakes in KL though.
Have already booked the place in Penang - is at Batu Ferringhi. I'm not expecting much from the beach from what I've read so read so far (should probably have done a bit more research before booking) but George Town looks interesting.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

We go to Penang regularly but the guys who live there will give the best advice, ditto KL, there are many threads yur which'll give loads of advice if you care to search.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 12:25 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

assuming you don't want beach, and why would you when you've got great beaches in Oz, G Hotel in Gurney Drive gets rated well, nice walks along the promenade and not far from Georgetown and all the buildings and history and food of course.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

For staying in KL I'd opt for KL city centre, near to Bukit Bintang and Changkat, but that's because I like to walk when i go out at night rather than mess around with taxis. The Grand Millenium hotel is very well placed and often good rates on Agoda. Failing that, the Melia hotel is also good, not as good as Millenium, say 3* versus 4-5*. Travelling to an from KL from the airport personally I'd get on the KL Transit (avoids all the traffic) to KL Sentral then get a taxi (via coupon booth) to your hotel. Both those hotels are 10-15 mins away from KL Sentral (unless there is a rush hour traffic jam).

Places to see include Petronas Towers (these hotels are very close), Chinatown (hotels almost in it) and Little India (Brickfields). Thean Hou Temple is worth a look IMHO and Batu Caves, esp given that you can do the first three in one evening on a stroll around. On the social front there's a good jazz club in KL called No Black Tie and also The Comedy Club. Well worth a visit if your'e into that kind of entertainment.

Not had Welsh Cakes for ages, or cowl

Last edited by Atilla; Mar 13th 2012 at 2:03 am.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

Thanks very much for the replies - some good tips there.
Just one more question - is the dress code reasonably relaxed in KL (given that it is a big city)? I am aware it is a Muslim country and don't want to offend.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 9:39 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

You'll be fine re dressing as long as you're not thinking parading about naked

Malaysia is not a muslim country per se, but the majority race is Malay (who are muslim) and the official religion is Islam. Apart from that, plenty of different races. Loads of expats in KL and pubs n clubs. Have fun.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=bakedbean;9955983]You'll be fine re dressing as long as you're not thinking parading about naked

I wouldn't inflict that on anyone!
Am really looking forward to the holiday - especially the food
Old Mar 16th 2012, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=buzz;9955999]
Originally Posted by bakedbean
Am really looking forward to the holiday - especially the food
Check out Madame Kwans in KL (several branches - have eaten in the one in KLCC several times) and Delicious (again several branches but fave is the one in Bangsar).

If looking for a really special meal have a look at Carcosa Seri Negara.

Hard to have a bad meal in KL. Plenty of food blogs, sites, etc. TripAdvisor is a good start.

Enjoy
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

Shenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant future
Smile Re: holiday in Penang and KL

I love eating at the street stalls when I am in KL but did not enjoy eating in China town, most food is Halal even at the 5* hotels. You will see a lot of women wearing hair coverings and unless you visit a mosque then normal western clothing is fine.

Batu Ferengi is some distance from George Town and some taxis will not take you from one town to the other as I found out recently, but I was able to negotiate a car and driver at a reasonable rate to drive me and my friends around. I was also able to hire a boat and do some sea fishing. The trip to Penang Hill was fab but could not make the final climb right to the top, the cable car was fab. The driver was able to take me to most places that tourist want to go.

The beaches on the far side of Batu Ferengi are as good as Oz beaches and usually have a food stall there so no need to take a picnic

Shenni
Old Mar 24th 2012, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

larryX is an unknown quantity at this point

I am just coming to end of my third 3 month stay in Batu Ferringhi in 8 years. I think it will be the last time. There are the tourist places to visit which others have posted about. I come now just for a rest and to escape the cold (which goes down to maybe 15 C !!! ) on the Costa del Sol where we live.

Batu (and the older part of Georgetown) is far better seen after dark, when the lack of attention to the roads, footpaths, the scruffy shanty eating places cluttering the roadsides and the semi wide dogs which roam in packs, are less apparent.

Just to mention the post about transport. I have never been refued a journey by taxi and during the day there are very good, and very cheap, comfortable, modern, air conditioned buses. Example. From the middle of Georgetown to Batu, every 5 mins or so, about 15 kms, 2.70 RM (about 60 pence UK or 70 euro cents)
Old Mar 24th 2012, 8:04 am

I don't use the buses in Penang (have a car) but someone told me that they even have wireless internet on Rapid Penang now

Larry, agree that some parts (not all) of Bt Ferringhi are a bit tatty. If you feel that way, why do you actually keep staying there? Straits Quay near Tanjong Tokong is spanking new, very clean and very nice - loads of eateries and nice marina. I'm sure you could get a 3 month rental there no problem. There's a hotel being built there but not complete yet. And what about Gurney Drive? Or Tanjung Bungah?