Holiday in Malaysia

Old Feb 6th 2014, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

silversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud of
Default Holiday in Malaysia

Hi everybody, I've just booked to come on holiday toMalaysia for 4 days. Please can you give me recommendations for things to do - places to eat, shop, markets/places to buy handbags and fun things to do at night.
Super excited!
Malaysia here I come
Ps staying at the Trader hotel
Old Feb 7th 2014, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

roystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holiday in Malaysia

Hey there, welcome to Malaysia. Are you staying in the Penang Traders hotel?

If yes, surrounding Traders are Prangin Mall, 1st Avenue where you could shop for bags.

For designer handbags, you could also check out Gurney Plaza or Paragon Malls, about 2-3km from Traders.

Places to eat... hmn,... it depends on your appetite I guess. It can be foods from cafe (cleaner environment) or street/foodcourt style hawker food.

Fine dining in Malaysia (haha)? ... well you get the drift.

As a local we do prefer the hawker food of which Penang is famous for but lately its been a bit "touristy", where the prices and food quality has dropped tremendously as compared to 20 years back.

For hawker food, you can try out the Gurney night hawker (just beside Gurney) eatery for all kinds of variety of hawker food.

Beside the round about facing the sea is also a sea food restaurant. There are few restaurants along Gurney (facing the sea).
Old Feb 7th 2014, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

silversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by roystevenung
Hey there, welcome to Malaysia. Are you staying in the Penang Traders hotel?

If yes, surrounding Traders are Prangin Mall, 1st Avenue where you could shop for bags.

For designer handbags, you could also check out Gurney Plaza or Paragon Malls, about 2-3km from Traders.

Places to eat... hmn,... it depends on your appetite I guess. It can be foods from cafe (cleaner environment) or street/foodcourt style hawker food.

Fine dining in Malaysia (haha)? ... well you get the drift.

As a local we do prefer the hawker food of which Penang is famous for but lately its been a bit "touristy", where the prices and food quality has dropped tremendously as compared to 20 years back.

For hawker food, you can try out the Gurney night hawker (just beside Gurney) eatery for all kinds of variety of hawker food.

Beside the round about facing the sea is also a sea food restaurant. There are few restaurants along Gurney (facing the sea).
Thanks so much for your reply but no Im not staying in Penang, staying in Traders, city centre kuala lumpur. Next time i will travel abt this time purely kl
Old Feb 7th 2014, 6:02 am
BE Enthusiast

roystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silversilver
Thanks so much for your reply but no Im not staying in Penang, staying in Traders, city centre kuala lumpur. Next time i will travel abt this time purely kl
No worries

Welcome to Malaysia
Old Feb 7th 2014, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

babeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of light

Things to do in KL. Good choice on traders hotel - has a good view of KLCC

Right - the touristy things to do are many..just blasting some out here in no particular order.
IsnKL towers visit or Menara KL for that 360 view of KL
2. Visit to Central Market for batik and local souvenirs.
3. Visit to Petaling Street/ Chinatown for t-shirts, fake designer bags n etc (walking distance from Central Market) (p/s: If you can take spicy food, try the grilled ray fish with vegetables at one of the corners. Its a side stall alongside a herbal drink stand (equally fantastic drink). If u walk further down, plenty of food eateries as well with the local delicacies like satay or seafood. Be prepared to pay touristy prices. Btw, if ur buying things in central market or Petaling street, be prepared to haggle as much as 50% to 70%.)
4. For authentique designer handbags, go to Pavilion or Lot 10 (shopping malls). Walkable from Traders Hotel. Just ask the concierge.
5. Marini's 57 at KLCC (rooftop bar) for drinks and the night view.
6. You can find more posh eateries at this eat drink kl blog. But if u want the real local food, Yu have to look for places selling satay, nasi lemak, dim sum, duck rice, chow kuey teow n more. Google is yr best friend there. The places that I know are rather quite far from kl and harder to find if ur not a local.
7. Canopy walking at FRIM in Kepong. This will be say half a days trip. One of the green lungs in KL where you get to experience our forests. Go in the morning when it isnt so scorching hot. Check the official website for opening hours.
8. Climb Batu Caves. Its an Indian temple also near Kepong.

Think that should be enuf to keep you occupied. Enjoy your trip and make sure that our cabbies use the meter. Some do try to take the longer route for more fare or not use the meter.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by babeinm
Things to do in KL. Good choice on traders hotel - has a good view of KLCC

Right - the touristy things to do are many..just blasting some out here in no particular order.
IsnKL towers visit or Menara KL for that 360 view of KL
2. Visit to Central Market for batik and local souvenirs.
3. Visit to Petaling Street/ Chinatown for t-shirts, fake designer bags n etc (walking distance from Central Market) (p/s: If you can take spicy food, try the grilled ray fish with vegetables at one of the corners. Its a side stall alongside a herbal drink stand (equally fantastic drink). If u walk further down, plenty of food eateries as well with the local delicacies like satay or seafood. Be prepared to pay touristy prices. Btw, if ur buying things in central market or Petaling street, be prepared to haggle as much as 50% to 70%.)
4. For authentique designer handbags, go to Pavilion or Lot 10 (shopping malls). Walkable from Traders Hotel. Just ask the concierge.
5. Marini's 57 at KLCC (rooftop bar) for drinks and the night view.
6. You can find more posh eateries at this eat drink kl blog. But if u want the real local food, Yu have to look for places selling satay, nasi lemak, dim sum, duck rice, chow kuey teow n more. Google is yr best friend there. The places that I know are rather quite far from kl and harder to find if ur not a local.
7. Canopy walking at FRIM in Kepong. This will be say half a days trip. One of the green lungs in KL where you get to experience our forests. Go in the morning when it isnt so scorching hot. Check the official website for opening hours.
8. Climb Batu Caves. Its an Indian temple also near Kepong.

Think that should be enuf to keep you occupied. Enjoy your trip and make sure that our cabbies use the meter. Some do try to take the longer route for more fare or not use the meter.
Thanks so much - brill post! Two more questions - good bars? And also Ive heard that ipads are cheaper in KL is that true - soooo excited cant wait - malaysia looks fab!
Old Feb 7th 2014, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

Soz just re read marinis for bars!!
Old Feb 7th 2014, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

babeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of lightbabeinm is a glorious beacon of light

Lol plenty of good bars in KL. Drinks are a tad expensive though. I can't personally recommend a bar as my dancing days are over. Only recently been to Martinis and it was super posh in a enjoyable way. If you have company, Marinis is perfect to hangout. If not, and you want to pull some dancing moves off, you could try Zouk. Jalan P. Ramlee, the street in front of KLCC as I remember has plenty of bars n clubs. Or browse www.timeoutkl.com/nightlife for their recommendations. Plenty of new places sprouting up in KL.

Yes, IPad air is cheaper than in Europe or UK. I know cause my hubbie helped his friend to get one from the resellers in Ipoh. If I recall right, roughly RM2900 (international warranty). Not sure how strict yr customs is though. There should be official Apple shops in Pavilion, KLCC, Lot 10 and Low yat. Recommended for you to call them first to check if they have stocks in case they are out. Oh and you might want to check out wireless harddrives (local warranty)- roughly rm600 for 1tb. Also if ur the IT sort of guy, u might want to pay a visit to Low Yat - be prepared to be hounded by foreigners trying to sell laptops n stuff. Slight haggling is permitted except at the apple shops n certain telco shops.

Hope I helped. KL is a wonderful bustling city, just do take precautions when you are at clubs or bars.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

Nakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond repute

Re ipad: Check the apple store website .com.my and compare to your current location. I don't believe you will find much difference. I also don't believe you will see much, read any, price difference at an Apple store compared to an IT Mall seller.
Old Feb 8th 2014, 1:07 am
Just Joined

Darn again. I can't tell if its typing from my phone or the quick replies that deletes my post. Anyhow 3rd time answering while I await my roti pisang to come. I can't personally recommend a club coz my dancing days are over. Used to frequent la bodega at pavilion and the library opposite KLCC, however its more just of hanging out with friends. If you want to show off your dancing moves, maybe Zouk? But anyways check out timeoutkl under nightlife for the recommended bars n clubs. Drinks are a tad expensive though. Marinis is perfect for just hanging out with friends or for that couples experience but not if ur on a drinking binge. unless u don't mind a big big bill.
Old Feb 8th 2014, 1:16 am
Just Joined

OK my post stuck. Lol. As for iPad airs, yes..apparently its cheaper here. Do your forex translation, roughly rm2900 (international warranty) for the 128gb with 3g. Get them from the official resellers, there should be one in pavilion, lot 10, lowyat or times. Not sure abt Klcc. Recommended to call to check if they are in stock. Hope yr customs is not strict. Oh the 1TB wireless Seagate harddisk drive might interest u - roughly rm600 (local warranty though). If ur the techie sort of guy, u might want to drop by low yat (walking distance from pavilion). Be prepared to be hustled by foreigners trying to sell laptops n stuff. Slight haggling is permitted except at apple shops and telco shops.

Anyways hope I helped. Have an enjoyable stay.
Old Feb 8th 2014, 1:34 am
Just Joined

Also just thought of another worthwhile place for you to go - Kuala gandah elephant sanctuary if ur keen to see elephants. Might cost a bit more to get there yourself. See if you can find a tourgroup that u can join to go there. Bring some change to donate to the sanctuary n a spare change of clothing. Coz ur allowed to bath with the elephants in the river.
Old Feb 8th 2014, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

OK my post stuck. Lol. As for iPad airs, yes..apparently its cheaper here. Do your forex translation, roughly rm2900 (international warranty) for the 128gb with 3g. Get them from the official resellers, there should be one in pavilion, lot 10, lowyat or times. Not sure abt Klcc. Recommended to call to check if they are in stock. Hope yr customs is not strict. Oh the 1TB wireless Seagate harddisk drive might interest u - roughly rm600 (local warranty though). If ur the techie sort of guy, u might want to drop by low yat (walking distance from pavilion). Be prepared to be hustled by foreigners trying to sell laptops n stuff. Slight haggling is permitted except at apple shops and telco shops.

Anyways hope I helped. Have an enjoyable stay.
If you are going to buy the iPad, I suggest you remove the wrapping before you take it home! When we bought our PS3 (about 7 years ago, mind!) it was roughly half the price here - I did stay out of the way while my wife negotiated a price for it! We took all the wrapping off before packing just in case, as it was over the £134 UK allowance.

As for 1TB Hardrives, I bought a 1TB WD My Passport Drive for RM249 (again local warranty) about 2 months ago. That was in Melaka though, shop called Challenger (they had a deal there and because I spent over RM100 I also bought a 1/2TB for RM99!) but I would have thought you should be able to get 1 for not much more in KL. That will also work on a MAC. Use the price as a bargaining tool if you are going for one.
Old Feb 8th 2014, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

Darn again. I can't tell if its typing from my phone or the quick replies that deletes my post. Anyhow 3rd time answering while I await my roti pisang to come. I can't personally recommend a club coz my dancing days are over. Used to frequent la bodega at pavilion and the library opposite KLCC, however its more just of hanging out with friends. If you want to show off your dancing moves, maybe Zouk? But anyways check out timeoutkl under nightlife for the recommended bars n clubs. Drinks are a tad expensive though. Marinis is perfect for just hanging out with friends or for that couples experience but not if ur on a drinking binge. unless u don't mind a big big bill.
Thanks so much :-) My dancing days should be over - coming with friends to celebrate my 40th!!! But just want to have a great overall experience. I live in Dubai at present so used to paying a bit more for drinks. Thanks everybody for i-pad advice too. This time next week I'll be in KL!!!
Old Feb 8th 2014, 11:55 am
Just Joined

Bluenose1 : The 1tb that I was talking about is the wireless type. Good price on the WD my passport though.