Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

travelling from KL to Singapore

travelling from KL to Singapore

Old Dec 6th 2013, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

nicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond repute
Default travelling from KL to Singapore

Hi everyone,

wondering if any of you travel between these 2 places and know which way is the best to travel? Next Feb when I am over my husband and I are going over to see friends in Singapore and we have been advised going by bus might be just as quick as getting the plane by the time you travel to airport and check in time etc.
Anyone had any experience of buses or trains doing this journey?

I don't mind either mode of travel and regularly go between Aberdeen and London via train so don't mind the numb bum aspect

Thanks in advance you have all been so helpful so far xxx
Old Dec 7th 2013, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: travelling from KL to Singapore

Originally Posted by nicola s
Hi everyone,

wondering if any of you travel between these 2 places and know which way is the best to travel? Next Feb when I am over my husband and I are going over to see friends in Singapore and we have been advised going by bus might be just as quick as getting the plane by the time you travel to airport and check in time etc.
Anyone had any experience of buses or trains doing this journey?

I don't mind either mode of travel and regularly go between Aberdeen and London via train so don't mind the numb bum aspect

Thanks in advance you have all been so helpful so far xxx
Nicola,

When I was working in Malaysia in 2006 I had 5 different weekends in Singapore. The first time I flew, with JAL, but on each of the others I went overnight by bus - considerably cheaper! The buses are air-conditioned and quite comfortable. Most will have headrest tv screens (airline-style) as well. They do have 2/3 stops on the highway at service stations for comfort breaks. At the border, you do have to get off and go through immigration/customs control. None of the buses I travelled on had toilets, but some may do now. I don't think any had the facility to buy food on board, but again that may have changed.

There certainly wasn't a great deal in it timewise, but it rather depends on when you want to arrive/depart. The bus takes (or did back then) around 5-6 hours. However, when I flew, the advantage was that I arrived late-ish Friday evening, whereas with the bus I was arriving early Saturday morning.

I never tried the train, so cannot help you there!
Old Dec 7th 2013, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

abdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I've used Aeroline couple of times and they're great. No probs at all:

https://www.aeroline.com.my/

Regards
Abdul
Old Dec 7th 2013, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

nicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond repute

thanks Guys its great to hear the different ways to travel, we tend to take the train here when going to London as its comfortable and is quite stress free, think I am going to try by bus or train to experience it
Old Dec 7th 2013, 12:28 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't get me on a bus on the expressway

Will you be buying a car? Could drive down. We've done that a couple of times from Penang.
Old Dec 8th 2013, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

abdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond repute

I've used the bus couple of times, as mentioned, and it's comfortable and safe. The time passes by quite quickly too.

The alternative I use is to travel by car. I only go as far as Johor Bahru, and park my car there at a friends house. I then get a bust from Larkin and cross the border.

Abdul
Old Dec 8th 2013, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to try this:

http://www.easternandorientalexpress...2014&scroll=on
Old Dec 8th 2013, 11:50 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Oh...my cousin did this from Singapore to Thailand. It was a One Off once in a Lifetime trip but he said it was fantastic (and bloody expensive).
Old Dec 9th 2013, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Oh...my cousin did this from Singapore to Thailand. It was a One Off once in a Lifetime trip but he said it was fantastic (and bloody expensive).
Funnily enough we drove past it on the way to East Johor the other day. I was surprised about how many carriages it had.... it must be very popular (even at USD 9k+ per ticket!)
Old Dec 11th 2013, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

sounds like a great way to travel and Baked Bean we wont be doing it by Car think it will take my husband a while to get to grips with driving in KL x
Old Dec 11th 2013, 5:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicola s
sounds like a great way to travel and Baked Bean we wont be doing it by Car think it will take my husband a while to get to grips with driving in KL x
I don't think it should be that much of a problem. I drove up to KL yesterday - the hardest part is finding your way around. Traffic was heavy and there was quite a bit of queuing, but apart from that it was relatively ok. Today is a holiday and there is very heavy traffic going into KL - I'm sitting in the exec lounge at the PJ Hilton and contemplating when might be the best time to drive back to Melaka! The traffic has been very heavy that way all day. Coming the other way the road is pretty clear. I am sure that will change later though!
Old Dec 11th 2013, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

ah thanks Bluenose1 my husband has driven in a few different countries but is not so keen on City driving so if he struggles with Glasgow and Edinburgh here then he will probably avoid it for as long as possible in KL. He didn't attempt it in Jakarta although that really was wacky races but as we are putting down roots in KL think he will eventually x
Old Dec 12th 2013, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

Shenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant future

The bus trip via areoline is good I have used it several times and only one trip was over the expected times. They provide a Malay meal and offer hot drinks, in Singapore they stop at the harbour and its easy to get a taxi to where you need to go and they have several stops in KL. They also stop several times on the way. The bus also has a down stairs sitting area and toilet.

Its not pleasant going through immigration if you have several bags of luggage though.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

thank you so much, think we are plumping for the bus its only a weekend trip so will be 2 small hand luggage bags so im guessing then we will need to be careful with what drink we take through will it be 1 bottle each?
Old Dec 13th 2013, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

roystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond repute

Aeroline bus drivers are trained to drive at the speed limit. Been on it few times. You can even charge your devices on the bus.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.