Reload this Page >

Finding work - how easy is it?

Finding work - how easy is it?

Old Sep 25th 2018, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

emasonhome is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding work - how easy is it?

Hi,

Can anyone share their thoughts/experience on how easy it is for an English only speaking, British foreigner to find work in Malaysia (I would learn the local language once committed)?

Can you recommend where's best to search for employment opportunities, i.e. job sites, employment agencies, etc.?

What is the employment culture like and how does that differ to the UK?

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 26th 2018, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding work - how easy is it?

Getting a Malaysian visa which allows you to work in the country is not easy. Even if you marry a Malaysian national do you not automatically get permission to work. There is a rather strong stigma in Malaysia on "foreigners stealing our jobs". Maybe you can find an employer in the UK who is willing to relocate you to Malaysia, as an expat?
Old Sep 29th 2018, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

IanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really nice

Even on a spousal visa there are a lot of hoops to jump through, after 6 months you can work but you have to have an offer letter before the visa will be amended. Otherwise to get a work visa you'd need to be sponsored either by a local firm or be on assignment with an international undertaking.

If you wish to work for a local company then almost certainly you'd need to be multi-lingual to do so, expect also that rates of pay are relatively low by European standards and that 6 day working is common.
Old Sep 29th 2018, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

emasonhome is an unknown quantity at this point

Really useful information, thank you.

Doing a little more research and following on from your suggestions, I think my best chance is to gain sponsorship from an International company (due to my lack of multi-lingual ability).

I have over eight years experience as a Project Manager, and currently contract in the UK automotive industry. With such a large automotive sector in Malaysia, I am enquiring whether there is a skills-shortage in this field that I could fill.

I'd be interested to hear whether you have any insights, experience or further advise that you can share.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emasonhome
With such a large automotive sector in Malaysia, .
Where did you get that misinformation from? You may want to verify once more what the Malaysian automotive industry really entails.