Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Employer dropped bombshell ... Help needed!!

Employer dropped bombshell ... Help needed!!

Old Feb 22nd 2014, 8:30 am
Just Joined

Toni_9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Employer dropped bombshell ... Help needed!!

Originally Posted by oludunamis
Hi Toni9,

Do not be too relieved at the sheer number of schools available around KL as majority of them are in the outskirts of town and depending on where your spouse work, it might be a hell of commute.

Finding a school in for my son in KL was a nightmare and was our the biggest issue, but we managed in the end, you will get a clearer picture when you visit, I also did a million research and sought countless opinion of forum but was easier to put things in perspective when we visited in January for 1wk

Have you tried British school? AISM -Australian school

Maybe ask them about busrsaries and scholarship

Good luck

Thanks for the advice. Yes travelling and tragic does worry me. This is one of the reasons I like the look of ISP at desa park. As I could probably walk the children to school. Although my partner will be working in KLCC so I suppose it could be a fair commute for him. How bad is the commute from desa to the city? He will be working opposite the petronas towers?

We are flying out soon so will get a better picture there. My partner has been a couple of times on busines,. I on the other hand have agreed to the signing of the contract without even visiting lol! Might regret that one!
Old May 5th 2014, 2:15 am
Just Joined

Jiminy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I'm moving to KL from Australia late July with 11 year old child. Husband is already working in KL. Education is not included in our contract and looking through the websites for the schools was an absolute headache. However I spent one whole day at it and created a spreadsheet that included admission fee/acceptance fee, term fees in advance, camps, etc etc etc.(only thing I didn't put in was buses as that depends where you live)..... and as we have initial 2 year contract I worked out costs for 2 years. Obviously I could not be 100% accurate but I was pretty thorough as a mistake could be awful for us.
Results were: (In Aussie dollars)
Australian $48,500
International school $75,800
British $57,500
Alice Smith $53,300
Garden $69,200

This was an eye opener as some of the schools with the higher admission fee actually have lower term fees and this drastically affects the long term cost.
Old May 5th 2014, 1:06 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to the forum . Yes that is a bit of an eye opener. Good that you posted that info for other folks.
Old May 5th 2014, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

Toni_9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Great info for others jiminy. Hope your move all goes well. We did a similar thing and decided on desa park city which was slightly cheaper.

We are moving out in July too. Will look forward to earring how you get on. Good luck with the big move.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 11:54 am
Just Joined

misse1 has a brilliant futuremisse1 has a brilliant futuremisse1 has a brilliant futuremisse1 has a brilliant futuremisse1 has a brilliant futuremisse1 has a brilliant futuremisse1 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Toni_9
So we get an email saying my partner will receive the higher salary of £56,000 and will be on the Malaysian tax rate. All housing and utilities will be met. And a serviced company car provided.

Great we thought!! Then the bombshell.....

Education for our two children NOT included!! Eek!

This scares me as it was always something we thought would be covered?

So what I'm basically asking is do you guys think it is a reasonable offer and would you take it?

Do you think it is possible on that wage to still have a good standard of living after school fees? I am paying for two to go through primary school at alice smith? but may need to look at cheaper options if this is not possible?
Hi Toni_9,

Have you looked at Taylors International School in Taman Maluri (near Cheras), if that area is a possibility for you? British curriculum school, primary up to age 16. The school is owned and run by the Taylors Education Group who also operate these other KL schools: Garden International, Nexus and AISM. Fees are significantly cheaper though ;-)