Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Cultivating your pavement (or sidewalk)

Cultivating your pavement (or sidewalk)

Old Jan 29th 2011, 6:16 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cultivating your pavement (or sidewalk)

I don't know if this is peculiar just to Penang or all of Malaysia, but amazed us that those with landed properties (houses) were putting lawns and trees and shrubs to cover the pavement outside their property

And the funniest one I saw was someone actually cultivating their pavement, growing veggies.

Needless to say, somewhat difficult in trying to actually walk along the pavement - impossible in fact.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cultivating your pavement (or sidewalk)

I think it's an Asian thing. I noticed that in some of the suburbs in Taiwan, too when we were there. Much to our surprise, the women would water these road side patches of veggies with scoops on a long wooden handle (made from recycled tin cans with holes punctured on the closed end for water to flow through) - scooping water from the drain by it!
I was at a local market and the veggie lady was very enthusiastic in promoting her 'local grown veggies'. Those roadside veggie patches came to mind and I told her I'd prefer farm grown ones. She looked very surprise as to many that is not as fresh as the local grown ones hehe
Old Jan 30th 2011, 8:19 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Ah okay... but presumably the pavement does not belong to them?
Old Jan 30th 2011, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute

No, does not belong to them at all . It should have been the grass part of the side walks hehe