Counselling in KL?

Old Jan 3rd 2014, 4:59 am
Just Joined

amaretti is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Counselling in KL?

I'm coming with a background in humanistic and cbt counselling in the UK, and I'm just wondering whether I'd be able to find work here.

It seems like there aren't any requirements really, or professional bodies as such.. so I'm just wondering how being a counsellor works here.

I'm just hoping that someone here can point me in the right direction
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 6:29 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Counselling in KL?

Hello,

I'm not sure about the requirements for setting up but from personal experience I have discovered there seem to be few counsellors or even psychologists in Kuala Lumpur. However, there are a lot of Psychiatrists and I ended up having to see one of these instead for my insomnia (within a hospital clinic environment which wasnt ideal). My son used to see his school counsellor weekly. She was British and was employed by his British international School. Perhaps an avenue to explore?

Good luck
Ajw
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 8:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ajw
Hello,

I'm not sure about the requirements for setting up but from personal experience I have discovered there seem to be few counsellors or even psychologists in Kuala Lumpur. However, there are a lot of Psychiatrists and I ended up having to see one of these instead for my insomnia (within a hospital clinic environment which wasnt ideal). My son used to see his school counsellor weekly. She was British and was employed by his British international School. Perhaps an avenue to explore?

Good luck
Ajw
Thanks for that, I have been thinking about trying to pursue it through international schools, however it depends on what kind of system they have in place, as some schools will employ a guidance counsellor, who doesn't do any counselling at all, and I would miss that. But I shall definitely have a look.

I've seen a few posts and adverts online, which is why I wondered about their background and qualification for practising.

Just wondering if you saw a psychiatrist as they are able to give prescriptions, which is understandable for insomnia, or was it because you couldn't find a suitable counsellor?

Thanks.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 9:39 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

In my case I only saw the psychiatrist because there was a lack of other options. He took down the cbt route which was a good start for me and after seeing him I also worked with a sleep psychologist based in Melbourne through Skype.

When I did my initial call around, there were only psychiatrists offering treatment for my particular problem.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 12:43 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think the lack of counselling is down to the It's not the Asian way to talk out problems?
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Do you think the lack of counselling is down to the It's not the Asian way to talk out problems?
I think that is a very large part of it, you're absolutely right. Counselling is a form of therapy and it is still very stigmatised in the West. Most of the time people see going to the counsellor as admitting that there is something wrong with them, and it has been for a long time, and nobody likes to hang their dirty laundry out in public.

In reality though, and I am biased around this topic as may be able to tell, its actually very beneficial to have a discussion with somebody who is trained to help you to gain insight into yourself and your problems and try to come up with ways of managing and coping with them better.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 11:52 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Makes sense to me. Hope everything works out anyway.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

Sbf415 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi ameretti. Just saw your post. I am a British cognitive therapist and will be moving to KL in june and wanted to set up a consultation/professional development group. If your interested please let me know or if you have found one please let me know as I'd love to join!
Old Apr 20th 2014, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

Sparklystar is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I am currently considering a move to ipoh with my partner who is a teacher. I am a cbt therapist and my concern is that I will lose my accredition. I would like to continue to practice at least. I wonder if you set up your consultation group. I would be interested in joining. Although I won't be in KL maybe skype?
Thanks
Helen
Old Apr 21st 2014, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

Weenocks is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there...I will be needing a counselor in Ipoh...so I am anxious to see what you end up being able to do.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sbf415
Hi ameretti. Just saw your post. I am a British cognitive therapist and will be moving to KL in june and wanted to set up a consultation/professional development group. If your interested please let me know or if you have found one please let me know as I'd love to join!

Hi there,

It is surprisingly difficult to get anywhere around here. There are some places who are happy to take on volunteers, of course, so if you are interested in something like that you can contact those. Otherwise, the only other option is to set up your own practice, and unfortunately it is difficult to know the exact requirements for the counsellors here to do that. I know that if you want to set up a practice and want other people work with you, you would have to employ at least one Malay national.

It would be good to have a pd group, however, so I am looking forward to you getting here and seeing what we can do.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

Sbf415 is an unknown quantity at this point

Once I arrive I'll contact you again. Just in kl now sorting out schools and accommodation but will sort some contacts out before I move (proper) in June. some of my colleagues have said they have contacts here who might be able to help.

Good luck with the move and I look forward to meeting you!
Sharlene
Old May 7th 2014, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

masbh is an unknown quantity at this point

Heya, happened to chance upon this thread. I'm finishing my course in family therapy this June, and was thinking of moving from London to KL later this year. Wondered if you'd like to get in touch.
Old May 8th 2014, 1:11 pm

Just to say Welcome to the forum
Old May 9th 2014, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

masbh is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you, baked beans.

Actually, I had wondered if I should join the forum, because I am not exactly British, and I still am prepared to be kicked out!

I am actually from Singapore, and as mentioned, am doing systemic psychotherapy here in London. I've enjoyed being here, and wasn't actually looking to go back to Singapore yet. I've quite liked the experience of practising in the UK (am with the NHS, fortunately or unfortunately) and was hoping to get a similar working and living experience abroad, hence how I landed here.

Being a non-Malaysian Malay-speaking English-educated Singaporean training in UK hoping to work with British expats in Malaysia, puts me in a really quirky inside-outside position really.

Nonetheless, I'm pretty much here to offer myself in case a pd group does take shape in KL in the future.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.