Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Cost of cable tv and internet on Penang ?

Cost of cable tv and internet on Penang ?

Old Nov 8th 2013, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

gobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cost of cable tv and internet on Penang ?

Just trying to get a rough idea of what it will cost me for fast internet and a decent cable channel or two on a monthly basis. I'll be living in a condo in Bayan Lepas, if that helps, and I'm hoping to get something with 'unlimited' usage or at least 50GB per month, as I will be downloading hi-res music.

Thanks,

Gobble
Old Nov 8th 2013, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

roystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of cable tv and internet on Penang ?

Fiber to your home costs Rm149 per mth from TM for its 60gb quota per mth
https://www.tm.com.my/Home/broadband...kages-VIP.aspx

To register, just walk in to the Bayan Baru TM branch beside Old Town with your passport, visa, and some cash for deposit (cant remember how much).

Astro costs about the same per month. But I am uncertain where to register for astro in Bayan Baru. Perhaps you could inquire at the many electrical shops within that vicinity...
Old Nov 9th 2013, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

gobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info - sensational stuff, and cheap by comparison to Australian ISPs.
Old Nov 9th 2013, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

roystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond repute

Fiber is relatively new in Msia, you may need to inquire whether its available in your place of stay.

If you are staying in a condo, its best to ask the people staying at the unit above and below you whether its available before even going to TM.

Armed with that knowledge you can always argue with the TM staff should they say its not available.

If memory serves me right, you will also need to bring the electricity bill or address.