CNY & kueh kapit

Old Jan 12th 2011, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

redbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant future
Default CNY & kueh kapit

Hi

Has anyone heard of this Malaysian delicacy "kueh kapit"? Kueh kapit is a traditional nonya biscuit / cookies...........crunchy and yummy.........only prepared on festive occassion such as CNY.

Used to be my all time favourite cookies. Would really love to buy them but not sure where. Don't like the mass produced type, must be home made and like almost anything traditional it is a dying art.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CNY & kueh kapit

Love letters.
Not really keen on them myself.

Bit like the wafers we used to eat ice cream between except for a taste of coconut.

Factory made can be bought anywhere.
Never tried home made.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

Hi Redbean,

Did a reply and somehow got lost in the ether.

Anyway to really upset you, let me tell you of a huge biscuit tin full of home made Kueh kapit (love letters) given us by friends in Kuching. Super thin, crisp and crunchy...and as ex reg says superb with ice cream of any persuasion.

Sad to say all eaten now and I have the waistline to prove it
Old Jan 12th 2011, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

redbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant future

Bugga! You could at least have saved some for me as I will be visiting you real soon!

Hmmmm! do you know where I can get some.

Reg, if you have tasted the real stuff............not the mass produced variety, you would want more and be keen for more.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

Its OK Redbean, Mrs Strider says she has hidden a few. Will save them for you...hope they don't go soggy
Old Jan 13th 2011, 1:52 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Can't you make them, redbean? Must be a recipe out there on the internet somewhere.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

It is not so much the receipe but to get the special mould to make this particular delicacy. It is also time consuming hence the cost of buying these cookies.

If you google kuih kapit mould and select 'images' instead of web, you will see what I mean. There is a special art to handling the moulds. The cook will need to be able to handle at least six of the moulds and the moulds have to be placed over a bar-b-que, not gas but coal to cook the cookies.

Time consuming and labour intensive.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 2:33 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Just googled.... yes I see what you mean now.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute

There's a "chai tiam ma" in Hokkien a traditional Chinese corner shop in G'town (between Chulia St and Kimberley St) that takes orders a month before CNY. The Indo maid slog over the charcoal fires on a little low stool at the front making these 'love letters'. Two types - the plain ones and ones with pork floss inside (weird combination!). I bought from them 2 yrs in a row, fresh and good, but no one eats them, so gave them away for the 2 yrs and not ordering this year because I personally don't take to it.
I prefer the peanut cookies and that 'white' cookie (forgot the name, it just melts in mouth) that comes in different animal shapes with a tiny bright pink dot for the eye
Old Jan 13th 2011, 5:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Oh Columbine, love letters with ice cream are superb. The pork floss ones are an acquired taste, but I manage it as I love pork floss and all time favourite long yok.

The white biscuits you mention, would they be Kuih Bangkit type?
Old Jan 13th 2011, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute

'Kuih Bangkit' ...sounds familiar. I'm sure that's what it's called
I buy the round peanut butter kind of cookies and this K.Bangkit from a lady at the wet market for the past 4 years as they are home made by some one she knows. I was at the wet market this morning and I just pointed at the plastic see-through containers because I forgot the name hehe

Another snack I like is this thinly sliced fried chips made from Chinese water chessnuts! Real yummy

I like pork and chicken floss especially the crispy type and also the pork jerkies (long yok/bak kua). Usually get them from the Singapore shop outlet in the basement of Gurney Plaza - Bee Ching Hiang...I think that's the name.
hmm, but combined with the 'love letters' mmmmm, tried it no no,
Interesting, never tried the Kuih Kapit with ice cream....hehe maybe one of my friends in Pg can spare me a doz pieces. It's too late for me to order from that 'chai tiam ma' guy now.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

I haven't tried kueh kapit with ice cream. Just like it as it is. Or kueh kapit with pork floss. Must say, I haven't heard of this combination.

Columbine, which wet market are you referring to? Wonder if this lady at the wet market still sells the K.bangkit by the time I get to Penang? Perhaps you could have a word with her and tell her to put them aside for me?

The other CNY cookies I like is kuih bahulu..........now that I think I can attempt to bake if I google for the receipe but still need the special mould. Must look into this when I next hit the hardware store. Eh! whereabout does one buy special mould to make/bake these special cookies?
Old Jan 14th 2011, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by redbean
Columbine, which wet market are you referring to? Wonder if this lady at the wet market still sells the K.bangkit by the time I get to Penang? Perhaps you could have a word with her and tell her to put them aside for me?
I'm just trying to picture redbean going along to whichever wet market it is and saying "Hey I'm Redbean, you've got some K Bangkit for me" heh heh
Old Jan 14th 2011, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by columbine

Another snack I like is this thinly sliced fried chips made from Chinese water chessnuts! Real yummy
I'd like to try those. Where can I get them? That place bottom of Gurney? or one of the wet markets? I like Tg Bungah wet market if you know that one.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 6:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Got mine from the Mt Erskin wet market...stall in the 2nd section , a lady and her son (I think he's her son, hehe) - just between the 2nd and 3rd section.
[1st section -hawker stalls; mid section ie 2nd - clothes, plastic pails, snacks; 3rd last section - veggies, fruits, meat]

If you go to the Tg Bungah one and see these CNY snacks...ask the vendor. The chips are roundish (smaller and thinner than Pringles chips) in one of those see through plastic container with a red cap usually.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.