Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Citizenship for children born to Malaysian mothers outside Malaysia

Citizenship for children born to Malaysian mothers outside Malaysia

Old Feb 20th 2023, 11:11 pm
KK Resident - Retired

Hovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up Citizenship for children born to Malaysian mothers outside Malaysia

https://www.dailyexpress.com.my/news...hers-overseas/
This is excellent news and well overdue. Unfortunately my sons are now in their fourties so too late for them but my granddaughter born in UK to our son and his Malaysian wife is excellent news. They had to renew her visa every six months whilst growing up in Sabah, which was a fad. This government seem to have their head screwed on and doing some good.
Old Feb 21st 2023, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship for children born to Malaysian mothers outside Malaysia

Originally Posted by Hovite
Unfortunately my sons are now in their fourties so too late for them ...
Why do you think so? The article mentions that the new law will apply to everyone who has a Malaysian father or mother. Not only to newborn babies, born after the law gets modified:
“The effect of today’s decision is that children born overseas before or after Malaysia Day where at least one of their parents are Malaysians have the right to be citizens by operation of law according to Article 14(1) of the Federal Constitution,” they said, referring to Malaysia’s formation on September 16, 1963 as Malaysia Day.
Old Feb 21st 2023, 11:32 am
KK Resident - Retired

Hovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of light

Malaysia does not allow dual nationality after the age of eighteen. I believe it is possible before that though I have not seen it in writing.
Old Feb 22nd 2023, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hovite
Malaysia does not allow dual nationality after the age of eighteen. I believe it is possible before that though I have not seen it in writing.
Ah, yes. I had forgotten about that. But it would be an easy way if they wanted to become Malaysian and rescind their current nationality. To be clear: I would not do so if I had the choice.