Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

E-Gate entry to Malaysia for expats

E-Gate entry to Malaysia for expats

Old Oct 11th 2022, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

Hedge has a brilliant futureHedge has a brilliant futureHedge has a brilliant futureHedge has a brilliant futureHedge has a brilliant futureHedge has a brilliant futureHedge has a brilliant future
Default E-Gate entry to Malaysia for expats

I just re entered through KLIA 2. I successfully entered through E-Gate without any registration. Result!

I initially tried to find somewhere to facilitate e gate use, couldn't find anything. But an Immigration Officer said if my visa had been renewed since July, The system would be auto updated to allow e gate. I'm on LTVSP but it should also apply to MM2H too.

P.S. My visa was renewed in August.

Old Dec 8th 2022, 12:48 am
Just Joined

britishexpatinmuddywaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: E-Gate entry to Malaysia for expats

esd.imi.gov.my/portal/latest-news/announcement/autogate-facility-extension-2022/

AUTOGATE FACILITY EXTENSION

29 November 2022
Dear Valued Clients,
The Immigration Department of Malaysia (JIM) has innovated in managing expatriate entry by allowing Long-Term Pass holders to use the Autogate facility, which was previously only available to Malaysian citizens.
This facility is subject to expatriates who meet the following criteria:
  1. Holds a passport that contains a digital chip and complies with the standards set by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO);
  2. Holds a valid Long-Term Pass. Expatriates who have been issued a Long-Term Pass can continue to use the facilities of this facility without the need for any registration process; and
  3. Permitted Long-Term Passes include Residence Pass- Talent, Employment Pass, Student Pass, Professional Visit Pass, Temporary Work Visit Pass, Premium Visa Pass, MM2H, Long-Term Social Visit Pass.
Expatriates with Long-Term Passes can use the Autogate facility whenever they enter and exit the country. However, if they do not meet the above criteria, they must continue to use the manual Immigration counter service.
Thank you.

MYXpats Centre
Old Feb 21st 2023, 8:49 am
Now a MM2Her.

Scuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I would share our experience in trying to use the e-gates recently: my wife and I (MM2H with new UK passports & visas in May 2022) exited KLIA successfully through the e-gates when we left Malaysia on 10th February. As we had done so we fully expected to be able to re-enter by the same method; not so. When we tried on our return yesterday (20th Feb) the scanner read my passport but then directed me to the immigration counter. I asked the immigration officer and she told me that you have to register at the counter 'around the corner'. Unfortunately this counter is only open during 'office hours' 08:00-17:00, which is ridiculous for an immigration service at a major international airport. I shall try and register us both when we return from our next trip.
Old Feb 27th 2023, 4:12 am
Forum Regular

Epicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond repute

Good news for many, the E-gate facility will soon be opened up to a much wider range of foreigners, even those without long term passes:
KLIA Autogate system facilities now open for foreigners

KUALA LUMPUR: The Autogate system facilities at Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) which previously was limited to Malaysians, will now be open to foreigners from the low-risk and G7 countries, the Dewan Rakyat was told today.Home Minister Datuk Seri Saifuddin Nasution Ismail said the move was to address congestion precipitated by the long waiting queue for travellers at the immigration clearance point.

He said his ministry acknowledged the long wait for immigration clearance, which was deemed a long-standing issue although it had been raised by many.

"The Immigration Department is extremely concerned over the long queues at our entry points, especially at KLIA.

"This, as our entry points is the first impression of our country to the foreigners. Therefore, we are trying to address this.

"First, this evening I'll announce the opening of autogate system facilities at KLIA for foreigners, especially from low-risk countries such as Singapore, Brunei, New Zealand and G7 countries.

"Before this, the autogate facilities were only for Malaysians to exit and enter the country.

"Therefore, we hope to be able to ease the congestion, especially during the peak arrival period.

"We are still scrutinising other measures, which we will be announced soon," he said.
Old Feb 27th 2023, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

I must have been lucky when I arrived one week ago at KLIA: there was only one person in front of me at the Diplomat/MM2H counter. The waiting time was minimal.
Old Mar 6th 2023, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

stepen is on a distinguished road

So only these countries? Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom and the United States + Singapore, Brunei, New Zealand?
Old Mar 6th 2023, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

Epicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stepen
So only these countries? Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom and the United States + Singapore, Brunei, New Zealand?
G7 countries plus three others, yes.
Old Mar 11th 2023, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

Hedge has a brilliant futureHedge has a brilliant futureHedge has a brilliant futureHedge has a brilliant futureHedge has a brilliant futureHedge has a brilliant futureHedge has a brilliant future

For those expats with functioning E-Gate access I have been informed that it's only for KLIA T1. Not rolled out at T2 low cost terminal yet. That was the explanation of an Immigration Officer after I couldn't get access. I returned via T1 and the E-Gate was smooth as usual.