Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Christmas Bazaars, Exhibitions, Events in Penang

Christmas Bazaars, Exhibitions, Events in Penang

Old Dec 5th 2015, 11:34 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christmas Bazaars, Exhibitions, Events in Penang

Originally Posted by Notabot
Thanks JC3

I made it to Biggie Best and found something that will work for now. Also decided I definitely need a car to get around although I've come across some friendly locals while on foot this week. :-)
Great Notabot. I'm glad you found something.

You might also like to know about the Christmas shopping event below that I have copied from a SpiralSynergy email newsletter I received in the last day or two. Sounds interesting....

Spiral Synergy is Penang based and organises lots of tours and things aimed at expats. It's run by a very nice British lady named Michelle. I've been to this shop (named 5.4º North) before. Good quality things there, but IMHO a bit pricey.

JC3

Countdown to Christmas

10 December 2015 (Thursday)

11am to 8pm

5.4º North,

24 Lorong Kinta, Penang

A chance for some last minute festive shopping at 5.4º North!

Whether you need stocking fillers, decorations or even a new dining table (!), find one of the most stylish selections of gifts and homewares in Penang.

Unique candle holders, European-style Christmas decos, some of the best decorations from Allison's Place, mosquito coil holders, Malaysian-collectibles from Gadis Manis, even a selection of Mantra bands (that were so popular at our June SSS) plus German stollen & cookies by Inge and hand-made chocolates by Rachel Chocolates. Drop by for a coffee or mulled wine anytime between 11am and 8pm.
Old Dec 6th 2015, 10:33 pm
Just Joined

Notabot is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JC3
Great Notabot. I'm glad you found something.

You might also like to know about the Christmas shopping event below that I have copied from a SpiralSynergy email newsletter I received in the last day or two. Sounds interesting....

Spiral Synergy is Penang based and organises lots of tours and things aimed at expats. It's run by a very nice British lady named Michelle. I've been to this shop (named 5.4º North) before. Good quality things there, but IMHO a bit pricey.

JC3

Countdown to Christmas

10 December 2015 (Thursday)

11am to 8pm

5.4º North,

24 Lorong Kinta, Penang

A chance for some last minute festive shopping at 5.4º North!

Whether you need stocking fillers, decorations or even a new dining table (!), find one of the most stylish selections of gifts and homewares in Penang.

Unique candle holders, European-style Christmas decos, some of the best decorations from Allison's Place, mosquito coil holders, Malaysian-collectibles from Gadis Manis, even a selection of Mantra bands (that were so popular at our June SSS) plus German stollen & cookies by Inge and hand-made chocolates by Rachel Chocolates. Drop by for a coffee or mulled wine anytime between 11am and 8pm.
Thanks JC3.
Sounds like something to go have a look at although I probably don't need anything. Since I can't get the Internet folks to show up until that afternoon it will get me out before I succumb to an evening glued to a computer after two weeks of spotty phone service to look things up.
Old Dec 8th 2015, 7:43 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Talking of Creative Art Club.....

LIVING COLOUR
An Exhibition of Original Artwork
by the Creative Art Club
at The ArtESpace Studio, Level One, Straits Quay
Saturday, November 21st 2015
6pm to 9pm

Original artworks...some mounted, some framed on display. Some for sale.
Postcards, bookmarks, and other gifts for sale.
For those that bought stuff at the exhibition AND the art club stall at the Charity Bazaar, AND walk-ins at the studio, a total of RM 1,425.00 was raised for Charis Hospice Penang. I think there were at least 1 or 3 BE posters who contributed so well done folks. Good on ya.
Old Dec 8th 2015, 1:08 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
For those that bought stuff at the exhibition AND the art club stall at the Charity Bazaar, AND walk-ins at the studio, a total of RM 1,425.00 was raised for Charis Hospice Penang. I think there were at least 1 or 3 BE posters who contributed so well done folks. Good on ya.
Excellent, well done BeeBee!
Old Dec 9th 2015, 12:45 am
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute

‘Special Hands: Empowering Abilities’
https://m.facebook.com/events/1157483154279982
About
Special Hands is a brand of products produced by a community of people with different abilities at the Stepping Stone Work Centre.

Stepping Stone Work Center in collaboration with Think City aims to showcase the abilities of the community behind Special Hands, and will be bringing you an interactive exhibition at The Star Pitt St. this November 23rd till December 20th.

This month-long event will feature an exhibition, handicraft workshops, movie screening and talks in conjunction with the International Day of People with Disability, December 3rd.

Stay tuned for more information on the exhibition, talks, workshops and film screening.
More from: http://www.thestar.com.my/metro/community/2015/12/09/special-craftsmen-display-their-skills/
Wednesday, 9 December 2015
Special craftsmen display their skills

BY LOGEISWARY THEVADASS

Syarifah (left) helping Mariam to weave a scarf during the Special Hands: Empowering Abilities Exhibition at The Star Pitt St. in Penang.
Syarifah (left) helping Mariam to weave a scarf during the Special Hands: Empowering Abilities Exhibition at The Star Pitt St. in Penang.

MARIAM Ismail was in deep concentration while weaving a cotton scarf using a traditional hand-weaving loom.

The family of the 38-year-old Down Syndrome patient almost gave up on her when she was young.

Mariam, a trainee with Asia Community Service (ACS)’s Stepping Stone Work Centre in Balik Pulau, had also never been to school when she was young.

Syarifah Saad, a staff member from the centre, said Mariam’s family was afraid and did not know where to send her.

“Five years ago, she joined this centre and now she can easily make a scarf on her own in just three days,” said Syarifah.

She recalled how quiet and moody Mariam was when she first joined the centre.

“She rarely spoke to anyone and used to be cranky but now she is enjoying herself and even jokes around with the other trainees,” she added.

Mariam is among those with special needs who are showcasing their talents at the Special Hands: Empowering Abilities Exhibition at The Star Pitt St.

The exhibition is held in conjunction with the International Day of Persons with Disabilities and organised by Stepping Stone Work Centre, in collaboration with Think City Penang.

The disabled craftsmen present at the exhibition, which will end on Dec 20, are displaying some of their handicrafts such as handwoven scarfs, batik paintings, handmade paper and soap at the event.

The centre’s chief executive officer Khor Aina said the month-long exhibition was aimed at showcasing the disabled group’s skills to give hope to their families besides empowering and recognising disabled craftsmen with different abilities.

“We are also organising a number of activities such as forums, workshops and film screenings to raise awareness and demonstrate the abilities of people with special needs,” she said.

Also present were Pulau Tikus assemblyman Yap Soo Huey, ACS chairman Datuk Gillian Teh and Think City Penang chairman Datuk Anwar Fazal.

The screening of ‘Home of Acorns’, a Japanese anime movie based on a true story depicting the struggles of a family with a disabled child, will be screened tomorrow at 7pm at Level 1, The Star Pitt St.

For details on the exhibition and workshops, visit ‘Special Hands: Empowering Abilities’ Facebook page.

Last edited by columbine; Dec 9th 2015 at 12:49 am.
Old Dec 12th 2015, 3:55 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Just discovered the 2015 Dragon Boat Race Event is being held this weekend at Batu Ferringhi on the reservoir. Sunday morning is favourite to avoid the traffic!

Welcome to Penang Dragon Boat
Old Dec 12th 2015, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

NeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond repute

Bummer, we have been watching one of the teams practicing daily for a couple of weeks from our balcony but will miss the racing. I was looking forward to that.
Old Dec 13th 2015, 3:14 am
Hostage Negotiator

Originally Posted by NeonHippy
Bummer, we have been watching one of the teams practicing daily for a couple of weeks from our balcony but will miss the racing. I was looking forward to that.
You didn't miss much, I was totally underwhelmed
Watching from the dam, the action takes place some distance away plus the Dragon Boats are not at all authentic.