Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Christmas Bazaars, Exhibitions, Events in Penang

Christmas Bazaars, Exhibitions, Events in Penang

Old Nov 4th 2015, 6:18 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Christmas Bazaars, Exhibitions, Events in Penang

There's usually a lot going on around this time in Penang. I can think of 4 events off the top of my head, and I'm going to (or involved with) 3 of them. Maybe others can add to these on this topic?

In no particular order.....

THE SOROPTIMIST INTERNATIONAL CLUB OF PENANG
A Magical Christmas Market at Suffolk House
Saturday, December 12th 2015
from 10am to 7pm

Various stalls selling all kinds of things and most of the dosh going to charities. I hear that will be there too.

And, of course, all in the lovely setting of historic Suffolk House.

It works on a coupon system. Unfortunately the ad doesn't explain it very well. Presumably the coupons will be on sale at the door. I'll see if I can find out, and update on here nearer the time.
Attached Thumbnails Christmas Bazaars, Exhibitions, Events in Penang-soroptimist-suffolk-house.jpg  
Old Nov 4th 2015, 6:28 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christmas and NY Bazaars, Exhibitions, Events in Penang

STRAITS QUAY CHRISTMAS CHARITY BAZAAR
SATURDAY 21ST AND SUNDAY 22ND NOVEMBER 2015
10.30AM TO 10.30PM

This is a big event and well worth having a browse around. I think I'm right in saying that the IWA (International Womens Association) are coordinating/running the event this year, Gawd bless 'em.

I have no involvement with IWA but I know quite a few ladies who belong to the association. They usually have some great Christmas gifts and goodies on sale. Mince Pies....yum yum. And all sorts of other things.

IWA are by no means the only folks running stalls at the event.

I know that the animal charity 4PAWS will have a stall there.

Creative Art Club will also be running a stall with Christmas postcards, bookmarks, mounted artwork and much more. (Saturday only)
Attached Thumbnails Christmas Bazaars, Exhibitions, Events in Penang-sq-christmas-bazaar-nov-2015.jpg  
Old Nov 4th 2015, 6:36 am

Default Re: Christmas Bazaars, Exhibitions, Events in Penang

Talking of Creative Art Club.....

LIVING COLOUR
An Exhibition of Original Artwork
by the Creative Art Club
at The ArtESpace Studio, Level One, Straits Quay
Saturday, November 21st 2015
6pm to 9pm

Original artworks...some mounted, some framed on display. Some for sale.
Postcards, bookmarks, and other gifts for sale.
Attached Thumbnails Christmas Bazaars, Exhibitions, Events in Penang-living-colour-1.jpg  
Old Nov 4th 2015, 6:43 am

EURASIAN FIESTA 2015
Penang Times Square
Sunday, December 20th 2015
5pm to 11pm

This sounds like fun. Organized by the Penang Eurasian Association. I know someone who went last year and they said it was really good, though parking can be a nightmare.

Arts and crafts, food, cakes, music. Should be interesting.
Attached Thumbnails Christmas Bazaars, Exhibitions, Events in Penang-eurasian-fiesta-2015.jpg  
Old Nov 5th 2015, 8:37 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

I heartily recommend a trip to PenangPac theatre at Straits Quay to see the all-male international ballet troupe ‘Men in Tutus’.

These guys are professional dancers. Even the girls are guys. Terrific, hilarious - one of the best shows I’ve seen in a long time.

This year they are bringing their version of The Nutcracker.

Dates: 26th – 29th November

Tickets cost from RM90 to RM180. A bit pricey perhaps, but worth it. Go!

JC3

See:

Last edited by JC3; Nov 5th 2015 at 8:55 am.
Old Nov 5th 2015, 8:41 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
EURASIAN FIESTA 2015
Penang Times Square
Sunday, December 20th 2015
5pm to 11pm

This sounds like fun. Organized by the Penang Eurasian Association. I know someone who went last year and they said it was really good, though parking can be a nightmare.

Arts and crafts, food, cakes, music. Should be interesting.
Eurasians love their food and others flock here for good reason, the food sells out fast at this event. Get there early if you want to try some Eurasian cooking.

JC3
Old Nov 5th 2015, 9:00 am

Oh, is that what The Nutcracker is. A friend told me about this. Seems to be very popular.
Old Nov 10th 2015, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

passportboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JC3
all-male international ballet troupe ‘Men in Tutus’.
Les Ballets de Monte Carlo? I saw their Swan Lake in London many years ago.
It was really funny and good!
Old Nov 15th 2015, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

kebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond repute

As the lonely German on this forum I need to highlight the German Christmas Bazaar at the Malaysian German Society (MGS) on the 28th November.
More info: Christmas Celebration & Bazaar 2015 | Malaysian-German Society

Besides the stalls with Christmas cookies and decoration you can get home made German cakes baked by German Ladies and for a later snack you might want to try some German sausages with a cool beer or glass of wine.
Old Nov 15th 2015, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

steveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond repute

Last year and the previous ones there was a big "Christmas Open House" at the Esplanade with some 1000 visitors and a great atmosphere.

Does anybody know if this event is repeated this year, too?
Old Dec 3rd 2015, 9:16 am
Just Joined

Notabot is an unknown quantity at this point

Just moved in last week, and trying to find my way around. Missed all the mentioned events, but am in immediate need of one 'nice' Christmas ornament for a gift. I scoured Gurney, and only found a few plastic things at Parkson.

Has anyone seen a place that I could check this week? Seems like I went past a shop in Georgetown, but no clue where or if it was my imagination.

Thanks
Old Dec 3rd 2015, 10:05 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by Notabot
Just moved in last week, and trying to find my way around. Missed all the mentioned events, but am in immediate need of one 'nice' Christmas ornament for a gift. I scoured Gurney, and only found a few plastic things at Parkson.

Has anyone seen a place that I could check this week? Seems like I went past a shop in Georgetown, but no clue where or if it was my imagination.

Thanks
Try Biggie Best on Kelawei Road - might have something and an interesting shop, or perhaps SSF on Anson Road

JC3
Old Dec 4th 2015, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

Notabot is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks JC3

I made it to Biggie Best and found something that will work for now. Also decided I definitely need a car to get around although I've come across some friendly locals while on foot this week. :-)
Old Dec 4th 2015, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Notabot
Missed all the mentioned events,
Ah there's still the Soroptomist (Suffolk House) and Eurasian Fiesta (Times Sq) events but, yes, unless you do buses you are a bit stuffed without a car here.

Will be great when the light railway kicks in but, alas, we may all be in our zimmerframes by then
Old Dec 4th 2015, 10:30 pm

MERRY CHRISTMAS BINGO NIGHT
HEALY MACS, STRAITS QUAY
DEC 22ND 2015 8PM

Sounds like a bit of a liquid evening

Ticket price is RM 100. includes 10 games of Bingo, Finger Buffet (LOL), Door entry Raffle prize.

There's a Facebook event page here:
https://www.facebook.com/events/722867231178087/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.