Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Bringing in pets on a tourist visa

Bringing in pets on a tourist visa

Old Apr 8th 2013, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bringing in pets on a tourist visa

I'm transferring to our office in S'pore this summer. After receiving a lot of help on this board, I've pretty much decided that we'll live in Malaysia and I will commute daily to S'pore for work. Apparently this can be done on a tourist visa, and getting a MACS (?) card, and is being done by many people.

However, when it comes to importing our container from Canada, but more importantly our pets, does anyone know if only having the 90 day tourist visa in my passport is going to cause difficulties? In other words, could they refuse import because I'm a "Tourist" as opposed to being a Resident?

I'd rather bring the pets into Malaysia because the quarantine is much shorter.

I know the slick way would be to get an MM2H, but I won't qualify, so that's out.

Thanks for any assistance!
Old Apr 11th 2013, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing in pets on a tourist visa

That's got you all stumped, eh? Me too!
Old Apr 11th 2013, 1:52 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Yes a bit of a conundrum eh

I suppose looking at it logically... you're getting a visa for one country but trying to import your pet into another, which doesn't quite gel.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Yes a bit of a conundrum eh

I suppose looking at it logically... you're getting a visa for one country but trying to import your pet into another, which doesn't quite gel.
Well, I brought this up on another thread (which has gone into the black hole of page 2) and had some tips there. The thing is most of the advice came from people living in S'pore and shifting over, which is a bit different to coming in from Canada.
I contacted a pet mover, and they said that I had to have a Malaysian address and, as a foreigner, a Malaysian residency permit. Makes sense.
I'm kind of resigned to giving up on Malaysia.
So much for a "World Without Borders" eh? Only seems to work for the super wealthy!
Old Apr 13th 2013, 8:10 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I guess you may have to do it in 2 stages. Get the Singapore visa first, then think about moving to Malaysia.

It's quite ambitious really. I suppose if you look at it the other way round. If I was offered a job and visa in Canada, and I tried to export my doggie to USA across the border... what chance do you reckon? hehe.

Well.... you have tried.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi geedee

Please don't give up on Malaysia!! I honestly don't know of anyway you'd be able to do this - other than coming to Singapore first and then bringing your stuff (and the pets) across. That's honestly very straight forward and I know several people who've brought their pets over from Sing.

A friend from the UK also recently brought her dog over to Sing from the UK and the dog didn't have to do any quarantine which I found surprising. Let me check back on what she said about that as I did ask her on FB.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for replying, BB and BC!

BC, a dog from the Uk won't need quarantine.... there is no rabies in the UK. Canada does have rabies, and our animals will have to go through 4 weeks of isolation if we come in through S'pore, which was one reason why I wanted to come in through Kuala Lumpur (7 days quarantine).

Still, it doesn't look do-able, so the kids are going to have to commute.

BB, the thing about doing S'pore first is I've heard rental agreements are generally 2 years, or more expensive for less. We're going to end up living in a box!!

Anyway, I spoke to a different person at the Malaysian Embassy in Ottawa yesterday. I've emailed them my circumstances and she's going to find out if there's any sort of visa whereby parents can accompany children.... the kids will have study permits and will be entitled to live in Malaysia. Sort of like a reverse dependents thing!! I'll post here when I find out.

Cheers.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

If I were you I'd go for a serviced apartment for 4 weeks - by which time you can have sussed out the situation as to whether you want to stay in Singapore or Malaysia.

There is a guardian visa for children studying in Malaysia's parents but I haven't looked into it properly as with a Singapore EP/DP or PR there's no need to.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bocat
There is a guardian visa for children studying in Malaysia's parents but I haven't looked into it properly as with a Singapore EP/DP or PR there's no need to.
Bocat.... you're a mine of useful information!!

Found this on studentmalaysia.com :

Certain family members of foreign students are allowed to accompany students in Malaysia on a Long Term Social Pass (for the duration of 12 months or according to the duration of study whichever come first). They include the following types of family members:

Parents of students

That will work!! Haven;t heard back from the Embassy yet but hopefully this is what they'll suggest.... as long as I don't have to pay tax there too!

Cheers!
Old Apr 14th 2013, 3:01 am

Well done Bocat This sounds do-able doesn't it.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 3:08 am
BE Enthusiast

It is do-able but you don't need it!!!

And you will only pay tax in Singapore - don't worry!!

I've forgotten geedee - when are you heading over?

Once you get here and see how it all works you'll feel much more at ease about it.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm coming over in June, then going back to pick up the family (including pets) around mid-July.
The school starts again tomorrow so I can call them up and have a chat with them.
I know in practice I may not need this extension visa (IMM55) but I don't want to pitch up at KL airport in July with pets and a 20' container and tell customs I'm coming for a 3 month "social visit"!
Old Apr 19th 2013, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Oh dear... the embassy wrote back today. They said there is no program for a temporary stay in Malaysia while working in Singapore and suggested that I call in to the Malaysian Immigration Department in Johor.

You know, sometimes doing things "above board" gets you absolutely nowhere!
Old Apr 19th 2013, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by geedee

You know, sometimes doing things "above board" gets you absolutely nowhere!
Just follow all Bocat's good advice I reckon.