Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Advice sought on dealing with recalcitrant hubby......

Advice sought on dealing with recalcitrant hubby......

Old Sep 18th 2011, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

redbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant future
Default Advice sought on dealing with recalcitrant hubby......

Ok, guys and gals......how do you deal with a recalcitrant hubby who kept postponing his retirement from the workforce and move with a homesick, bored, patient, understanding, forgiving and desperate wife to her beloved island, Penang??

Separation is not an option but seriously considered every now and then.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice sought on dealing with recalcitrant hubby......

I retired early.
Wife was a bit dubious to start with but is happy now and again

You can't force this as the outcome might not be acceptable to your OH.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 2:45 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex reg

You can't force this as the outcome might not be acceptable to your OH.
As above. It's a tough one, redbean. I guess you just have to be a bit patient (not easy I know) and just enjoy what you've got currently. Live for the moment.

Ex-reg, if it's not a personal question, are you a "split-retired" couple? I mean, does your wife still work? I think I'd find that tough (if I was the working one).
Old Sep 19th 2011, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
As above. It's a tough one, redbean. I guess you just have to be a bit patient (not easy I know) and just enjoy what you've got currently. Live for the moment.

Ex-reg, if it's not a personal question, are you a "split-retired" couple? I mean, does your wife still work? I think I'd find that tough (if I was the working one).
I don't like to get too personal but just for you bb.
My wife used to work.
In fact she worked longer hours than me, and enjoyed it. And I worked long hours.
So when we married she stopped working, not immediately but as and when.

Her lifelong work is now looking after me. Not sure she enjoys it as much as she enjoyed work work or when she worked for Mothers Choice in HK.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 7:24 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers ex-Reg. Ya... sorry to be nosey Was just wondering about those that retire early with their other half still working. Retirement, as a couple, can be jolly complicated, can't it. It needs a lot of patience sometimes I guess.

I suppose the bakedbeans were a bit lucky as we were both working together in our own business towards the end of our working life, so it was easy for both of us to stop work together.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

redbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant future

Hi ex-reg, bakedbean

ex-reg .......Did you enjoy being a kept hubby?

I suppose I can become a kept wife again.....did it for awhile but didn't quite enjoy it as much having my own income to spend as I like so decided to re-enter the workforce but in a part time capacity and most importantly, low stress.

bakedbean.........I am trying to be in the moment and zen like but every now and then I have this bee in my bonnet ....get this urge to do the grey nomad thing and travel but hubby, all he can think of is that the garden needs to be landscaped, house needs repainting and freshen up, etc.

Boooorrrrrriiinnnggg.........!!!
Old Sep 20th 2011, 8:06 am

Well... it's a bit of a vicious circle I guess. If you spend out, then it's not going towards retirement and delays retirement. I don't know the answer to your dilemma. Buy a lottery ticket?