Working in KL

Old Aug 19th 2011, 5:47 am
Just Joined

scaffell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working in KL

Hi everyone, being new to both KL and this website I would welcome any suggestions or advice on getting set up to find work. Work permits - do I obtain one prior to job hunting? Jobs, where is best to make applications or look for vacancies? Sending CV's either online or post? Any help or advice would be most appreciated.

Shirley
Old Aug 20th 2011, 7:59 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in KL

Hi Shirley and welcome to BE

Cannot help you. I'm retired. But hopefully someone with experience will be along shortly
Old Aug 21st 2011, 6:34 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Shirley

What you can obtain will depend on your situation. Are you a trailing spouse? What kind of visa do you hold for Malaysia?
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

avrilmitch11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ajw
Hi Shirley

What you can obtain will depend on your situation. Are you a trailing spouse? What kind of visa do you hold for Malaysia?
I am neither a trailing spouse nor have a Visa for Malaysia does this mean I will be unable to obtain any work permits?
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

scaffell is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ajw
Hi Shirley

No, not trailing spouse and don't have visa for Malaysia - will this mean I cannot obtain work permits and progress to a visa?
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

joamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud of

Hi,
The usual path is find the job and they will get the employment pass for you....it's the employers responsibility and you will just have to provide them with info and photos. If the potential employer tries to forward you to an agency that is going to charge you for it, then the job offer isn't genuine and it's a con.
Good luck,
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 1:07 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with last post. Presumably if you are in Malaysia already you are here on a tourist visa which does not allow you to work as far as I know. An employer will need to offer you a job and apply for the employment pass. In obtaining that employement pass I think they need to state that they have already advertised for a local person and was unable to find someone suitable.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 8:57 am
Just Joined

Geremi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ajw
Agree with last post. Presumably if you are in Malaysia already you are here on a tourist visa which does not allow you to work as far as I know. An employer will need to offer you a job and apply for the employment pass. In obtaining that employement pass I think they need to state that they have already advertised for a local person and was unable to find someone suitable.
What area of work are you looking for? I know quite a lot of IT related Vacanices if thats any good?